September Special Issue

Stevo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Martyn K. I was very alarmed by Davids last sentence I sincerely that was a cryptic warning of things to come. Did anyone else pick up on this as well?Come on Ed if there is something in the wind like Traplet surely subscribers should know .My opinion only and know malice intended to you or your staff.

Posted by Martyn K on 20/10/2017 11:36:28:

I was a bit puzzled and alarmed by David's final sentence in the editorial. Certainly hope it's not the last time..

Martyn

Technically the next to last sentence............. "For the third, and maybe the final time then, here is the Autumn Special."

I was a little disappointed with the free plan to be honest (maybe we have just been spoiled in recent years). the hawk is more sport scale than anything and the pointer to hobbyking equipment made me think I would be better of with the hobbyking airframe to go with it especially when you look at the price of vac formed parts for the build

Edited By Phil 9 on 20/10/2017 15:29:05

I confess I saw it in Tesco about 2 weeks ago, flicked through it and thought - meh! If it's still there next week maybe I'll chuck it in the trolley...

The main turn off was the plan. TN produces some magic stuff, so it pains me to say that (IMO) along with Mustangs and Spitfires, what the world doesn't need is yet another flaming Hawk

As a subscriber I almost regard the Special as an extra "freebie" so I don't mind too much if there are bits that don't interest me much.

I am puzzled by a couple of typos. These are rare in this mag, it is produced to a high standard, but on page 107, there are two unwanted hyphens in "em-barrassment" and "con-sider". I'm sure Mr G Ashby wouldn't have put them in deliberately, and wonder if there is some weird word processing glitch. This isn't a dig, I'm just curious.

Posted by Mike T on 21/10/2017 19:36:44:..

The main turn off was the plan. TN produces some magic stuff, so it pains me to say that (IMO) along with Mustangs and Spitfires, what the world doesn't need is yet another flaming Hawk

Second that comment and don't forget Me 109; FW190.

I for one cannot understand the obsession with warbirds, of any vintage, to the exclusion of the many other possibilities. Year after year the plan in the Autumn Special is for a military aircraft. Maybe next year tink outside the box and go for something else. Even a Cub or a Cessna would be a welcome change. We can only live in hope.

I can understand it - warbirds are popular, you only have to look at the artf market to see that. I agree however that it would be nice to see Tony turn his considerable skills to something civilian next time - perhaps one of the Miles Hawk series? I remember that the Special plan design has been chosen by a poll in the past, not sure if that still happens. If not, maybe revive it for next time, with Tony or David to provide a shortlist, with a mix of civilian and military types?