Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Posted by pete taylor on 12/10/2017 18:22:20:

No category for starting on plans and kit, then acquiring some ARTFs more recently.

I can't be the only one who walked this path...

No, you are not. Started with rebuilding some near defunct plan builds, went on to design and build my own, all balsa based, that was early 70's. Came back 2005, initially scratch building in EPP or major conversions on chuck gliders, have latterly done a few balsa rebuilds/restorations, or bought second hand balsa, but in the main its ARTF and foam.

I voted Other.

Started with Keil Kraft rubber powered kits in the late 1950s and currently flying both an ARTF Heron and an RCM&E plan build Highside. And in the background refurbishing some of my 1970s plan and kit builds.

Ray

Edited By Ray Dunn on 12/10/2017 23:33:45

Looks like I'll have to go "others" Beth, unless you can add a "kits - plans - ARTFs - own designs - continuing mix of all categories..."

Like many of the other "baby boomers", I started on Kiel Kraft rubber models, free flight, control liners and a brief flirtation with single channel before progressing to the rather pricey miracle of digital proportional control. Kits and plan builds were the norm - I suppose my first ARTF was a Halton Special glider but the term wasn't one I'd ever heard back then.

Part of my uncle's prewar collection included a Frog Hawker Hart, rubber powered with a 2:1 gearbox; circa 1936.

Its box had an integral winder, and the wings were plug-in ball joints. To date this is the only RTF I've ever had.

I prefer balsa bashing and can remember knocking up an APS Peacemaker in less than a week, sourcing all the materials with a single bike ride. Try that now.

In rough order...

1970s - balsa & tissue scale and sports FF kits (rubber, CO2, glider); sheet CL and FF scale from Aeromodeller plans (diesel and glow); balsa and film RC glider and power trainer kits.

40 years later - balsa & tissue scale and sports FF kits and from plans (rubber and CO2); RC foam electric trainer, warbird, now balsa ARTF for IC sports-aerobatic, RC balsa IC sports-aerobatic and scale kits; carbon/composite DLGs (ARTF but complex assembly).

The poll results seem to show a fairly broad church when it comes to RC, but not sure what it - or the sort of catalogue I've reported above - really tells us?

I went to one of the first comprehensive schools, The Regis school in Wolverhampton, and one of the class periods covered model/handicrafts, this is mid 1950,s I took a selection of kits from the keil kraft scale range when my pocket money allowed ,purchased from the Cleveland model shop in town, the kits were cut out with razer blades and stuck together with balsa cement, cant remember what the tissue was stuck on with, probably due to my ham fisted modeling they used to run on the classroom floor but would not fly. But this planted the seed for a life of aeromodelling, I joined the Bilston model aero club and enjoyed several years of control line flying in East park, Wolverhampton, these were models with Oliver Tiger / PAW diesel motors and were uncilenced, the park has houses all round , but the only noise complaints were from the football teams who played on the same part of the park, this was when the players could not hear the refs. whistle! just imagine trying that today. I had approx. 20 years off - buying /selling houses, building kit cars ets. and one day I went past my only now surviving model shop - Penn models, and stopped for a look round and the bug bit again, the only brand names I knew was Futaba and Supre Tigre, I came out fully kitted with a High boy trainer , Futaba 6 radio and Supre Tiger 40 engine this stood me in good stead and got me past my A test, since then I have built dozens of kits /plans etc and 1 ARTF - does any one remember the Ilsan Extra ,I think this was the first good ARTF, well built, and flew really well, not certain about the wood , some of it looked like coconut matting ,hope this jogs memories of any modellers in the Wolverhampton area Geoff.

First RC was a Precedent Fly Boy, which dates me, ARTF wasn't really a thing at that point in time, so everything was a kit build, although the second RC I built was a Flair Meteor which was glass fuse and foam wing, and went together quite quickly.

ARTF do a job, and I will have more in the future I would think. I like building as well though, given unlimited time kits/plans/own design build are what I would prefer to do, but available time does dictate otherwise in some cases, and its hard to argue with the value of the smaller ARTFs.

Started with kits in the 60s, eventually moved on to plans, a few own design gliders, the occasional ARTF in the mix as well. First ARTF that I had, probably 20 years ago, was a VMAR Extra - a complete piece of junk as many of the early ones were from the cheapy brands back then. IIRC, the covering was that 'orrible stick on sticky back plastic. crying

I wouldn't spend a lot of money on an ARTF now, maybe the occasional smallish electric model for use as a hack or one of the foamy EDFs which are great fun,, but I much prefer building kits/plans for larger IC stuff.

Edited By Cuban8 on 13/10/2017 11:20:04

I started at the age of 9 with a balsa / tissue kit of a fairy Firefly. I was assisted by my older brother who served an apprenticeship at the Hawker aircraft company in Kingston in the 1950's. Other kits followed from the Keil Kraft scale rubber powered range that cost 3 shillings and nine pence. I had a couple of friends who also became aeromodellers and we all dabbled with model planes including Jetex powered types. After relative success with the Keil Kraft Dolphin , Soarer Baby, and Invader we then tackled the Keil Kraft Pirate, Skylon and a home designed Plylon plane that all flew very well at Epsom Downs. The latter plane was built by a friend David Murray who at 14 designed his own free flight 5 foot span plane that was much admired on the Downs by a well known ducted fan expert (His son was Marcus Norman?). I also built a similar plane which piled in after 7 flights on the same day i lost my Southern Junior Models Southern Dragon. Another friend and I built radio controlled models in 1962, mine a junior 60, his a Matador and then a Sparkie. I have lost contact with these old school mates and assume I am the only still making model planes?

Hope to fly the damaged repairable Super Air i was given this weekend.

super tigre 3.jpg

pa090178.jpg

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 13/10/2017 12:16:18

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 13/10/2017 12:17:05

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 13/10/2017 12:19:30

While I can find no coherent argument against that supposition, I do think its a shame that the options don't reflect the apparent intent of the title. To my mind, a simple poll asking whether:

1) You started out building from plans/kits and have assembled some ARTFs since.

2) You have only ever built from plans/kits.

3) You started out assembling ARTFs and have built from plans/kits since.

4) You have only ever assembled ARTFs

...would have given the information the poll was looking for.

I'm not sure what conclusions can be drawn from the results so far - any opinions?