Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

I began building model planes in the 1950's and, on the very rare occasions when I would buy a kit, I invariably modified it to something I liked better. Since then, I have always designed my own models ( of all descriptions- mainly I/C but electric, EDF ,glider ) and have reached the point where i build without drawings. I enjoy building probably more than I do flying and I don't really understand the attraction of RTF models but I accept I am in the minority here.

I started my flying career with with a kit of the Robbe Charter thinking it would be a good idea to know how the thing is build so when repairs would be needed I would at least understand the planes construction a bit. Also having the plans 1:1 scale helped reproduce parts that weren't cut accurately.

After that I've build planes from plans and a kit here and there. The number of ARF planes I can count on one hand. I like building too much. Too bad I'm in a minority.

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 21/11/2017 08:58:50

I only bought an ARTF first (though in fact it was already assembled and ready to fly) as a way of getting into r/c and learning (I hoped) to fly. I never liked the idea of foamed-plastic planes, frankly, and it was the idea of building my own traditionally-constructed models again that got me back into this game after many years, as much as the flying itself.Which is why I've completed two oldish balsa kits already (one still hasn't flown), have started building a DB 58" Tiger Moth, have a ready-built Dynam monoplane to re-engine, and just had some plans printed for yet another project - when in fact I can barely fly, managed to crash and destroy that initial foamy... For various reasons it's extremely difficult for me to get together with others who might help me learn to fly, at least in S.Devon, though I've had a few flights in France (thanks David!). But at least I enjoy the building...

I wonder why RCME is interested in the results of this poll? Could it be to do with free plans in the magazine?

Hi Tony, well done for your perseverance! I think you could be right about the reason for this poll. Ultimately, success in this business is about knowing the trends, and I want RCM&E to remain a success!

The mistake many make is trying to fly too complex models too early. Admittedly, I had a little control line and full size gliding experience before radio, but I had help with trimming my first radio model, and help with my first three flights only, after that I was pretty much on my own. That first model was a Kamco Kadet with just enough power for a positive climb. When I think back, a number of moves saw me flying only simple rudder elevator models with .15 to .35 engines for a further 4 years, before moving on to an aileron model with a .40. if anyone should say that R/E is boring, one day I was practicing fairly near axial rolls with a Super 60 (it's down to washout in the wings, and timing with the rudder and elevator). I heard "they fly really well with ailerons, don't they". My reply was "yes, they do", but I wanted to reply "yes, but this one is rudder/elevator".

I purchased a new Artf trainer, then went onto second hand as they were cheaper. Now wishing I'd not gone down this route as the repairs seem to get out of control. When I get a nice workshop building from scratch will start, got 3 kits so far and plans for a few others.

Posted by John Emms 1 on 21/11/2017 12:42:51:

Hi Tony, well done for your perseverance!....The mistake many make is trying to fly too complex models too early.

Thanks John. I should emphasise that the foamy I crashed (twice in fact) was a not very complex Radian Pro electric glider - I never liked it, and think it behaved erratically, apart from my lack of experience/skill. My first build, which has flown four times, is a very basic, floaty, trad build electric glider, rudder/elevator. Even under supervision I managed to crash it 2nd flight! Rebuilt the nose, flew it again... I'm postponing an attempt to fly it solo sometime when there's little or no wind even though it's simple and floats well, since I dread the thought of an instant crash... Maybe sometime soon I'll pluck up courage.

Edited By Tony Harrison 2 on 21/11/2017 14:05:31

Posted by trebor on 21/11/2017 13:24:03:

I purchased a new Artf trainer, then went onto second hand as they were cheaper. Now wishing I'd not gone down this route as the repairs seem to get out of control. When I get a nice workshop building from scratch will start, got 3 kits so far and plans for a few others.

I know what you mean about those repairs. After crashing a foamy glider (Radian Pro) I managed to repair it, but frankly the erratic, twitchy character of the thing (which I'd noticed from the start) was exacerbated, and various controls/linkages seemed distinctly upset: trying to fly it solo in very calm conditions, the thing went up gently then veered violently right then down, impacting the ground horribly... Good luck with your builds! That at least is great fun.

If it's any consolation, I think I am considered a fairly competent pilot, but I have never been able to land a Zagi, and gave up trying! The secret to success is very much in the rigging angles and trim. Simulators are also a great help.

Good luck to you both!

Edited By John Emms 1 on 21/11/2017 18:05:10

Edited By John Emms 1 on 21/11/2017 18:05:38

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On reflection my first model. or is that a "flying toy" was a catapult glider, ready to fly, manufactured in the then West Germany by a company called Gunther. I believe they still exist today, The aircraft was purchased in Germany and initially flown on my aunties farm, in Westphalia, at Nordrath.

On reflection it now seems more modern, a proper flying machine. The wings had a frame made from spring steel wire, with an additional cross member to help in maintaining an ellipse. Today it would be made from CF, The frame had a covering of plastic film stretched over it, with an overlap which was stuck down with an adhesive. The pod type body was hard wood, with a rubber bumper on the nose. The rear fus, was made from a heavier gauge spring steel wire, onto which was a a tailplane frame, which was soldered on, although this was of a "u" shape, to provide a "v" type tail, again covered as per the main wing.

Boy did it fly, when catapulted into the air, it was many, many years before any of my proper, or generally observed other peoples proper models could fly in both distance and duration. I saw it as a toy, now, my opinion is that was a high performance small flying machine.

Although I have flown a Multiplex Fox with my granddaughter, it does not have anything like the performance of this West German counterpart of another time.

Although I have not recognised it for a long time, it was this toy, and the pleasure it provided that has kept me trying to regain the same high as that toy provided, an addiction for life, that needs ever more fixes, but never achieving the same high.

• 1 month later...

I started as a twelve year old building free flight kits, my first was a Keil Kraft Ajax. Then I went onto plans for both free flight and control line models. My first radio models were built from kits in 1988. Since then I've bought a few ARTFs and models which other people had built, but I've kept the building up too.

Of my models currently in flying condition, four were built from kits: Junior 60, Veron Cardinal, Baron and SLEC Fun Fly. Two are ARTFs: Boomerang and Primary 40 ARTF club trainers and I bought my Roy Scott BE2e ready built.

I have an ARTF Acrowot to complete and I have a Flair Harvard which just needs a little further attention before it can be flown. This model was also bought ready-built. Finally I have a DB Sport and Scale Auster to finish off. Just need to build and cover the fin and rudder, stick the radio and engine in and test fly it.

Edited By David Davis on 15/02/2018 12:51:37

• 8 months later...

Having seen the resurrection of this thread, it's just occurred to me that I gave some misinformation earlier and I actually started out with an RTF in the early 60s...

I remember saving for what seemed half a lifetime to buy a FROG Buccaneer for the massive sum of 27/6d (that's £1.38 in modern terms) when I was about 7 or 8 years old - I passed the toy shop every day on the way home from school and metaphorically (and possibly physically!) pressed my nose against the window hoping that it would still be there when I reached my financial target, each time I passed by.

This had a winder cleverly built into the box - visible in this picture. Mine was the red/yellow version and it flew very successfully, including a wonderful long flight from the back of Ivinghoe Beacon. That was the day I learnt not to try running down a sleep slope - after my legs turned into a blur, the ensuing tumble and winding were a definite learning experience!

Wow, Martin! I remember having one of those Frog Buccaneers! What a great little flyer it was! I also remember having one of its predecessors, a Frog MkV (or was it MkVI?) - the one with the paper wings and paper thin aluminium fuselage. That also flew well, but was far too fragile for young hands!

I started out with plans and kits. There were no ARTFs back in those glorious days. Although I have assembled a couple of ARTFs (I hesitate to use the term "build" ), I never get as much satisfaction out of flying them as I do something I have carefully created with my own hands. This is a shame, as I'm not the world's greatest builder, but my models do end up strong! (Too many years flying off rough patches!)

--

Pete

Edited By Peter Christy on 22/10/2018 08:47:51

I had one of those Frog MkV or whatever they were called with a thin aluminium foil fuselages in box with a built-in winder like the Bucaneer. It never flew much on it's own but mainly provided air support for my model soldiers

Another ARTF I had that's probably more to Peter's taste as a helicopter guru was a helicopter with a rotor diameter of 30/35 cms. Propulsion was via semiflexible cable and a hand crank to drive the blades. It did fly because without vigorous hand winding it just hung on the bowden type cable but by winding the blades and twisting hand it could be made to hover and 'fly' forwards and backwards. I've no idea what happened to it but I had 2 very much younger half brothers and my disregarded toys all gradually disappeared when I was working away from home.

Geoff

I started with kits, then moved to plans, home designs and finally artfs and foamys. Although I should point out that when I started it was the early 50s and the likes of Kiel Kraft kits were pretty much all there were. I started flying artfs when the prices started to become reasonable. I now do both. It takes me a good while to build a half decent model, so foamys etc help to keep my flying 'hand' in and provide a little variety.

I started with a solid balsa 9p push to fit chuck glider then a built version called the Magician around 1948, with which I decimated the polished top of my mothers prized sideboard when the balsa cement soaked through the newspaper I was assembling the wings on. I then generated to solid balsa scale models that began to appear around the time of the Korean war, a Sabre was the first. This had to be carved to shape. My first control liner was a pre assembled plastic affair which came complete with an ED Bee 1cc diesel engine. This didn't last very long, but I was lucky a neighbour showed me how to tune the engine, change to a bigger tank & I was away, until I obliterated it on the local tarmac running track. Many control line models later, I generated to my first radio model the Keil Craft Junior 60 single channel. I soon ditched the single channel for a second had American gold biscuit tin 6 channel proportional Kraft with push pull servos. This taught me to fly. Now with over 100 radio models including a couple of ARTF's including a couple built on commission for others behind me, latterly electric, I am building the Top Flite Stinson Reliant. It was a choice between that & the DC3, I chose the Reliant, which will be powered by an electric motor. The build thread is on here.

**LINK**

Started with KK 3 shillings and 9 pence kits over 60 years ago, I even got some of them to fly especially when I discovered Pirelli rubber.

For 40 years built almost all my stuff from plans.

It was only in the last 20 years that I started buying kits and the odd ARTF.but still built stuff from scratch.

I started, like many of my era, building rubber power kits from Keil Kraft and Veron.

After a good few attempts, some more successful than others, I decided I could drawn my own plans so I could build planes of my own choice.

I have continued to do so ever since.

The last plane I built not of my own design was Peter Miller's Ballerina for the mass build challenge and even then I changed it a bit and used Depron. wink 2