Warbird Replicas Bf 109 club.

Sanded, Brown Paper covered & Doped. Retracts have arrived from China and fitted. 3D printed parts stuck on and now ready for the paint job when this virus goes away. Thanks to Richard for helping with it. This was Richard's last Kit but he has been talked into a small run of The Spitfire, so it's not the last. If anyone wants a Spitfire Kit then either PM him or thru the Contacts Page on WarbirdReplicas.co.uk. but do it soon.

bf109.jpg

bf109-2.jpg

• Like 1

We are looking at colour scheme's but that may have to wait until after the shutdown. Richard is going to be busy when the flying starts again, he has got my Mustang and this one to maiden, I'm going to test fly Cheetah as it's a copy of Tigger.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Thought it was time to update this thread.

Have spent a lot of time repairing my bf109 following severe hanger rash when performing a tailslide from its ceiling storage. It wasn't far off from its maiden. The whole backend became detached.

Have almost completed its rebuild. Have tried making a more scale canopy with my 3d printer but glazing it has been a real proble. (I hate attaching canopies)

DSC_0222.jpg

DSC_0225.jpg

DSC_0227.jpg

DSC_0229.jpg

• Like 4

Thank you Paul, Chris and Ron.

Chris.

Paint used was Vallejo acrylic. colours Rlm74, Rlm75 and Rlm76. To thin the paint I use their thinner medium which thins the paint without reducing the paints adhesive qualities and a few drops of their flow improver.

My technique for the mottling:-

Spray the base colour.

Changed the nozzle size on the airbrush to .2, reduce the spraying pressure to around 15 - 17psi. Thin the paint slightly and reduce the paint flow so that all you get is a very light mist of paint. Slowly build up the mottle effect with the two colours.

Hope this helps.

Don't worry, I have a few kits my son had as a child + I enjoy making them as reference material when the web info is a bit patchy like the Ta 154. I was lucky to find a book with loads of 3d type images, but not much on the pint schemes as so few were put into service. Not a problem with the 109 and in fact I suspect quite the opposite.

I usually practice on the card while getting everything set up and then go for it, but as ever there is never enough time to do it justice, perhaps when I retire!

• 5 months later...
On 01/06/2021 at 11:51, Graham R said:

Thought it was time to update this thread.

Have spent a lot of time repairing my bf109 following severe hanger rash when performing a tailslide from its ceiling storage. It wasn't far off from its maiden. The whole backend became detached.

Have almost completed its rebuild. Have tried making a more scale canopy with my 3d printer but glazing it has been a real proble. (I hate attaching canopies)

DSC_0222.jpg

DSC_0225.jpg

DSC_0227.jpg

DSC_0229.jpg

Graham this looks fantastic..have you flown it?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...