2018 Mass Build - Voting Thread

Martyn K

Here are the results of the 1st stage of the Vote. Scoring as usual is 3 points for 1st choice, 2 for 2nd, 1 for 3rd.

Only 20 people have voted for a choice of 17 model groups...

Top 3 are Grumpy Tiger, 17 points, Ghost Rider 14 votes, CAP/Dalotel combo 11 points. More details on the votes below

We normally go to a second vote but assuming those who voted for one of the top 3 models actually build it then this would probably only give a maximum of 12 participants (for the top 3 models) of which historically/statistically only about 1/3 actually really take part that leaves err 4 builders. Not really a mass build.

I suggest that this years MB comprises of the top 3 models unless you want a second vote to run over the next 7 days. Answer quickly - we ain't got much time for discussion..

2018mb results 1.jpg

We'll make a call on this on Sunday 26/11. Is that OK? If you are categorically NOT going to build one of the top 3 please let us know now. No problem its helps get a better understanding.

Personally, I am still happy to build a Dalotel - possibly scaled up for a bigger engine.

Martyn

My stipulation for having a crack, not a twin, couldn’t handle that, and engines what are they. Motors rule. Just saying.

I don’t mind what it is, within the above constraints. I’ll leave it to you guys. If I like it I’ll do io it.

20 people, not overwhelmingl is it. Ah well,soon be Christmas.

This really doesn't reward your time and energy, Martyn. sad

Only 20 votes for a MB ! What's happening around here? surprise

Last year, John's involvement didn't worked out either, with only a few Skywriters being built.

Don't ask me for a solution, but I guess the MB concept isn't answering to what people desire to spend their time on.

Sticking together gets mountains moving... let's keep that projective view regarding the Fury Classroom...

Cheers

Chris

The Mass build is an excellent idea and I have taken part in the past. I would do so again but I have so many models and such a slow build rate that it's not practical to join in every time, as much as I would like to. I would certainly have preferences amongst the models mentioned but it wouldn't really be fair if I cast a vote with no intention of following it through.

Unless I'm mistaken, this forum isn't as active as it was in the days of the early mass builds so that may account for the low take-up rate to some extent.

Although MB build blogs here are the norm, I wonder if a timely build featured in the magazine would help?

I also wonder if returning to some of the original concepts would have any influence on the take-up, e.g. to donate to a charity, a build suitable for absolute beginners and a quick one at that?

John, please don't misunderstand me.

As you say, the lads that participated were pleased to have been part of it. Lucas and yours being still 'on the way', but that's fine.

Also remember, my Ballerina took me 16 months to get finalized, no prob. As it was often stated, "it's not a race"... or "enjoy the journey", and that's what I tried to do.

My point was (is) the 'amount of reactions' to the MB by the forumites in general.

As Ian just wrote, the amount of building "activity" seems to go downwards in general with the forum members. Not the same kind of 'energy' or involvement showed during the few past years. To bad, not sure to be able to see a real reason, but that's the way it goes, it seems.

Cheers

Chris

I am happy to commit to building one of the top 3; my time constraints may mean it's not a quick build, and probably won't start on 1st Jan as I have several projects on the go... but the thought processes probably will.

I am most likely to go for the Grumpy Tiger: Initial thoughts are to scale it up somewhat probably to about 63". Not decided yet whether IC or electric, I shall wait until I've seen the plans before deciding for definite. I'd like to consider adding retracts though.

Simon

1. Woodpecker [Nov Free plan]

2. Grumpy Tigercub

3. Vicomte Baron

I have had extra copies of all three plans made and am studying them before making my final choice for this winter's build. I would probably add wheels to the Woodpecker and retractable main gear to the Tigercub, along with batteries in the nose as I only fly electric.