Two good books: Sully -Miracle on the Hudson / Flying in-Walking out

Harry Twist

Thought I would share this on two good aviation books I have read recently:

Sully - Miracle on the Hudson- this book not only covers the amazing water landing on the Hudson but describes the life and flying career of Chesley Sullenberger. Commencing with learning to fly - through his military career including flying F4 phantoms ( he even did a tour here at Lakenheath), to his time flying for what was effectively a budget american airline. Its a great read and he links all his previous experiences that led up to him being able to successfully glide an airliner on to the Hudson following a double engine failure after a birdstrike. However the book is about so much more than this one incident.

A second recommendation - Flying in Walking out - Edward Sniders. True story - he was a mosquito pilot - who baled out with his copilot over occupied France following mechanical failure of his aircraft. The book is about his evasion and eventual capture and then his repeated attempts to escape from various POW camps. Links in to some more famous escape attempts. I wont spoil by adding more detail!

Again a great read!

Edited By Harry Twist on 18/11/2017 15:22:44