2018 Mass Build Sign up Thread

Martyn K

The choice is:

1. Grumpy Tigercub

2. Ghost Rider 38 or 50

3. CAP 20, CAP 21 or Dalotel Trio

The 3 choices we have are actually quite in interesting mix.

1. The Grumpy Tigercub should appeal to the more adventurous who fancy a dabble with multi engines. The plan is available from Sark

2. Ghost Rider is well proven DB design which has a sort of WOT-4 type look. The original was a single channel aerobat available from Sarik (I think) or as a download from Outerzone. It is showing on the Sarik X list but not available to purchase. This is quite a small model but very much in-keeping with the original Mass Build concept that should have broad appeal. It could be built as a R/E plus throttle as it stands or fairly easily converted to full house, in which case I would probably strip the last 10-12% chord and make them strip ailerons while increasing the size of the Rudder (about 30% chord) and elevator (15% chord).

There is a larger version Ghostrider 50 - also available from Outerzone as a download This is a full house model which looks like it was originally published in the 1970's. I think it would make a great trainer or winter hack.. This one is starting to appeal to me..

This is a typical DB type model and should appeal to the less experienced builder. Lots of space available for electric conversions as well.

3. Finally, we have the Peter Miller CAP 20/21/Dalotel trio. This should hopefully appeal to those who want add a bit of scale detail or alternatively produce a mini IMAC type aerobat. I already have the plan for the Dalotel but cowl and canopy and plan are available from Sarik. Peter believes that the CAP models are better flyers. The CAP 20 and CAP 21 were both ffee plans in recent years. Parts and plans for the CAP 20 here at Sarik The CAP 21 has a few versions lurking around. This is the original MAG plan from Peter Miller I believe. Gordon Whitehead also has a similar sized plan available from Sarik

I think there is a nice but limited choice of models here. No gliders (sorry- and I mean that) but hopefully enough choice for a broad appeal.

It would be nice if we can reinvigorate the Mass Build, I hope we get a good turnout this year.

Please let us know if you intend to take part - as usual, the official start date is 1st January, hangovers as an excuse are nor permitted.

Let us know below what you intend to build.

Thanks

Martyn and the Mass Build regulars

Edited By Martyn K on 27/11/2017 17:40:52

Cap 20 for me I have the plan and have just sent for an engine , plan to start in January. This will not be one of the fastest builds as I am only just finishing of my Ballerina 😂 I am easily distracted but I will try to remain focused with this one. Bit surprised no one else is going for a cap.

Paul

I have just been pinged by Robert Thompson who advises..

<snip> ..

that the Ghost Rider 50 plan and ribs can be obtained from DB Sport and Scale at a great price.

Also, the Ghost Rider 38 ribs and tips along with main spars can be obtained from Igull laser.

For those who hate cutting out ribs both these sources offer decent value, especially the DB offer of 10% off for the plan and ribs.

I built a GR 50 in the late 70s and had 27 meg Futaba in it (4 channel ) and an OS 20 Max glow engine. It flew well and I still have the retired airframe in my garage.

A very strong model able to take any landing without damage.

I could recover it and fly it as it is fully sound.

As you have suggested the GR 50 along with the GR38, might I also suggest the DB Skyrider which is the big brother of both Ghost Riders.

The building technique is the same only bigger parts. Might be better than trying to scale up. Can also be obtained from DB Sport and Scale as a plan & rib pack for a bargain price.

</snip>

Thanks Robert

That's really helpful

Martyn

I shall go for the Cap 20 as I already have a part kit and canopy. I'm tempted by the Ghost Rider, I have the original GR 50 plan and I expect I still have a rib template dating from 1967-8, sad or what? BTW if you build a GR50 from the original plan DB reckoned you didn't need a dihedral brace, you do, guess how I found out? Mine flew using the RCM&E galloping ghost TX, RCM&E superhet Rx and the Controlaire actuator and powered by an OS15.

I haven't been following this thread closely, so I sorry if I'm about to repeat what someone else has already said. A plan for the Ghost Rider 38 was included in RCM&E October 2016.

As for the dihedral brace, Shaun Garrity who did the write up which went with the plan said " it's a little unusual in not having a dihedral brace but the large gluing area of the root rib provides ample strength and has been proved when chucking the model around the sky" I guess you pays your money etc.

Edited By Dai Fledermaus on 01/12/2017 11:56:49