2018 Mass Build Sign up Thread

Martyn K

Happy New Year everyone

I am still on for the GTC but not much to report at this moment. I just started by scaling up the drawing and converting it to metric sizes Unfortunately it will be a bit slower because I have to share my time.

Kind regards,

Richard

Just started to clear the decks after a spell of decorating,oh and of course Christmas. I've chosen the CAP20L, 1. because I like Peter Millar's designs (Ballerina RF4 , plus one whose name escapes.)

2. I bought the short kit and canopy a couple of years back. So it will make a dent in my kit cache.

3. I like CAP aircraft.

I shall start on or after 12th night.

Martian, presumably you are referring to the 3/16 used for F2 & F3 on the 50 inch version? You could consider using 1/8 built up formers by lapping horizontal strips to the vertical strips in the usual manner ( overlapped joints)

Posted by kc on 03/01/2018 20:14:15:

Martian, presumably you are referring to the 3/16 used for F2 & F3 on the 50 inch version? You could consider using 1/8 built up formers by lapping horizontal strips to the vertical strips in the usual manner ( overlapped joints)

no I,ve used some liteply for those it,s for the tailplane and fin/rudder wing tips I think thats all

My Ghostrider 50 is progressing well fuselage built tail feathers and fin done both wing halves 50% done , laminated f1 to incorporate noseleg it's a bonded 3 layer lite ply using gorrilla pu glue , I guess it's not a mass build as I seem to be the only one building it but I can recommend it as an easy build all though the wing structure is quite fragile

Martian
​I earmarked the Ghost Rider for a keeper plan and almost certainly I will build one alongside the Grumpy Tiger Cub. The Grumpy will be a bit complicated and probably the Ghost Rider a bit or therapy. Why not start your own thread and show us some pictures. I am interested to hear about the wing being fragile.
​Levanter

Hi Martian,

I'll second Piers here. You absolutely should start sharing your build with the community here by having a full build blog with a lot of pictures.

Sharing your progress is a very rewarding choice as you will get a lot of comments helping you further. With your experience, you very probably don't need it now for your Ghostrider... but you still might for the forthcoming Fury build... wink

Cheers

Chris

Hi builders yes of course I'll post some pictures just taken some will post them tomorrow.

Levanter (fragile wings) it's been many years since I built wings with 1/16th ribs but I'm hoping the rib caps will stiffen it up all wings in the last few years have been 1/8th balsa maybe up to 14 wings,will let you know how I feel when finished.

Piers I'm aiming to complete the Ghostrider in three weeks start to finish if you use the outerzone plane stick it all together and cut out all the pieces of the plan to make paper templates I'm just doing this to participate in the mass build as I voted for it and it's fun to do.

Chris I have a few build blogs already completed , Fournier rf4,pawnee ,zenith 701, barnstormer and mossie all plan built and have nearly finished a warbirds replica Sptifire ,I love reading other blogs and am following your Vicompte but the Fury is going to test me to the limits

anyway pics tomorrow

As promised Ghostrider 50 build pics

laminated F1 entrapping nose leg all glued in place with my glue of choice Gorilla PU instead of epoxy ,it wont give way that's all for now ghostrider 012.jpg

another aileron view

ghostrider 011.jpg

aileron prepared for cutting out ( I have used old gift cards etc to provide spacing gap)

ghostrider 010.jpg

tailplane and elevator these have been laminated from 3/32 4 inch sheet balsa very lite but strong and rigid with the added advantage of a join line to aid hinge insertion

ghostrider 009.jpg

fin rudder and skid

ghostrider 008.jpg

topside rear of wing seat with a pine support ( just a reminder I'm using what I have in the spares and scrap box )

ghostrider 007.jpg

topside batt tray and hole for lipo in F2 (3 cell 2200 mah )

ghostrider 006.jpg

front lower fuse showing base of battery tray the ESC will live here the slots are for the lipo strap

ghostrider 005.jpg

inside fus looking right at F1 position showing trianle support pieces

ghostrider 003.jpg

another view of the wing waiting lower sheet

ghostrider 002.jpg

1 wing half waiting tips ,the ribs are slotted into a 1/8th balsa spar plan advised 3/16th but I had none on reflection I would have been happier with either very hard balsa or 1/8th pine but we will see .

ghostrider 001.jpg

Well thank you Chris

here are piccies as promised

wing is covered in solartex I love that stuff so easy to put on ,fuselage is solarfilm and tail feathers in some horrible see thru covering I had left over I will never use it again it is awful to put on a bit like using quality wrappers.

ghostrider 3 004.jpg

ghostrider 3 003.jpg

ghostrider 3 002.jpg

ghostrider 3 001.jpg

Just a marker to show that as one of the original voters for the GTC I have made a start.

Ribs cut 2 at a time buy tacking 2 sheets of balsa together with a glue stick (5 for £1 at pound shop) then sticking the photocopied ribs on. As the nacelles needed 4 balsa and 4 ply I made a 3mm MDF template to ensure they were all identical.

As mine will be almost standard except for twin aileron servos with the possibility that I may add flaps. I won't be doing a log as it will be just duplication.

Head says electric but my heart says IC and as this is effectively a trainer for one of Richards BF110 Warbirds (2 x .61 ASP) which is sat waiting in the box, it has to be IC with a pair if SC .15's.

gtc wing bits.jpg