2018 Mass Build Sign up Thread

Martyn K

Not too sure if I qualify for the MB. I’m planning on building a Grumpy slightly enlarged, 110 - 120%, to suit 2 x 30 4 strokes. I want to slightly change its appearance to incorporate more Tigercat features, in particular those big radial engine cowls and huge nacelles. Plus, and this is where it gets interesting / complicated / stupid, retracting trike u/c like the Tigercat has. I’ve got the Lavochkin LA-7 to build first and then was going straight onto the Bf 110, but as I haven’t flown a twin before I thought that the Grumpy would be an ideal first introduction.

I think any Tigercat definitely qualifies for the MB Ron, whether it is grumpy or not is up to you! I am going to do my own thing a bit too so if it flies it will be a bonus! I have three projects on the go (not included my La-7, not startedembarrassed) but if I don't crack on with the GTC on the 1st Jan it is not going to happen, so it will have to go to the front of the queue.devil

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 02/12/2017 15:34:45

Ron,

I’ll watch your project with I interest. My Grumpy is at 110% scale so as to fit retracts in the nacelles more easily. I was also considering a trike but as i will be electric I need the nose for a battery. The thing that finally put me off was trying to position the mains further aft so it did not continue to sit on its tail !

Good luck

Tim

I want to participate with the tiger cub design. A twin engined plane has always been on my wish list so this is an nice opportunity to join

In the meantime I have been able to get a RCM & E June 2014 issue with plan at Ebay. I am now waiting for it to be delivered.

Then the anticipatory pleasure can begin by studing the drawing because I have some ideas for changes. I'm considering scaling up the plan'so I can fit two os-25FX engines that I already have here.

I also consider to give the grumpy a bit more tigercat look. in principle I have roughly the same considerations as Ron Gray as mentioned in one of the previous posts

I'm looking forward to start the build in January!

Edited By rgarde on 05/12/2017 16:32:19

My initial thoughts were, as per above, change the nacelles to nice big round ones (radial engines) but make them carry back to behind the trailing edge as per Tigercat. This should help me bury the retracts and allow me to mount them further back for the trike layout. They also need to be fairly short legs, again to mimic the FS but this isn't too important unless stubbies are needed to get them in! I'm also going (planning) to lower the top line of the nose a bit and to possibly extend its length slightly again to mimic the FS. Similarly a nice curve on the turtle deck and more rounded fin plus move the elevator further forward. Canopy, use Sarik one (as per Tim) or similar rather than bubble Grumpy one a) because it is smaller and makes the rest of the 'plane look bigger (!!!) and b) because it is more scale. I have to rein myself back in a bit as I don't want this to be too scale, just a bit closer to the Tigercat so I shall have to see how it takes me. As mentioned before I plan to scale it up to about 120% to give me roughly 1600mm wingspan which, for ease of storage / transport I am thinking of splitting either side of the nacelles with wing tubes and bolted connectors. Or I could even make folding ones like the FS - err, NO, rein myself back in. I am planning on powering with 2 x 30 (5cc) four strokes as I think their sound will be gorgeous.

Anyway, first things first, I've got the original plan now so just got to take it to my local printing place to get it enlarged then scale up to the same size the brilliant scale drawings Peter kindly sent me and away I go.

For Grumpy Tigercub builders, the plan is available here. I emailed Kevin Crozier of Sarik Hobbies and he told me that they are producing a CNC kit for the Grumpy Tigercat which they hope might be available around Christmas time, although they are not making any promises at the moment. They have one or two other kits in the pipeline but will push the Grumpy Tigercat to the front of the queue. I am keeping fingers crossed as it will speed things up for a lazy modeller like me! I don't know what the price will be yet but I will keep you updated when I do.

Hello Ron,

Thanks for your detailed explanation. I bet the sound of the 2 four strokes will be gorgeous! The small sync variations in rpm will make the typical and fantastic sound.

I think we roughly have the same line of thinking about the modifications.

Using 2x .30 four strokes has also passed my mind. Unfortunately I recently had a bad experience with a SC 0.30 four stroke. So at this moment I am not so eager to buy two new ones. Besides that I have 2x os-max 25 FX's available. One still mounted on a trainer and the other one waiting in the box to be used. Although the four strokes can be installed cleaner into the nacelles and the sound is nicer because of the much smaller muffler this is going to be fine too to get my first twin experience.

Concerning the looks it would be nice to mimic the tigercat. it certainly should not go to a complete scale project. If it looks like a tigercat when you look through your eyelashes its ok for me. At this moment I have the following considerations for the looks:

- Scale up the plan to fit the 0.25 engines or use 0.15 engines

- Bigger round nacelles would be ideal to fit the .25 engines cleaner into the cowl.

- Adding a more tigercat like turtledeck to the tiger cub

- Conversion to a trike layout. Retracts are not necessary for me

I first need the plans before I can estimate the impact and make definitive choices

Have fun with the preparations and thinking!

kind regards,

Richard

Edited By rgarde on 05/12/2017 20:39:59

I got my plan from here, complete with mag build article:

**LINK**

@rgards - bummer hearing about your experiences with the ASPs as that was the route I was going to go down! At just over £100 each it seemed t be a better option than either £130 for SC or £150 for Saito. I may still take the plunge with the ASPs as JE have a 2 year limited warranty on them and I've had good experiences with the JE guys, as have others in my club. I only wish Laser made smaller engines, being a recently convert to them! The way I look at it is that I won't be flying the GT all of the time as I have too many others that need the dust blowing off them and at the moment my Laser 160v powered Wots Wot XL is always first in the van when loading up for a flying session. Therefore the longevity of the engines is not really an issue and the £60 - £100 saving over SC or Saito will pay for the retracts!

I do admit that this planning part of the build really is fun but is all down to a brilliant basic design that Peter has come up with, so hats off to him. Funnily enough, in my opinion, the one thing that is easy to do and would make the GT look more like the TCat is to reduce the size of the canopy, changing it from a bubble to a warbird one and to add the curve to the turtle deck (well OK that's 2 things!).

As I'm sitting in a hotel room twiddling my thumbs I thought I'd have a play, this is what I was thinking of for the fuse profile, it's very rough but you get the general idea, sorry Peter! Still need to elongate the nose and to drop the top line of it a bit.

gtcat.jpg

Edited By Ron Gray on 05/12/2017 21:06:06

Hi Ron,

Sorry i had this experience with a SC engine not a ASP (although they are the same to me). I have corrected it in the previous post. Also I have to nuance it a bit. It was a new/unused engine but older engine. I think one of the first versions. I would also dare it with JE, I think it is a respectable compagny with a lot of positive experiences and good service.

You are completely right about mister Miller's brilliant basic design, surely hats off and espect for this! If the impact of the wishes is to big for me I will stay by the design.