2018 Mass Build Sign up Thread

Martyn K

Hi Ron,

That looks nice! thumbs up The contours of your first drawing reminds me of a vintage F3A plane. (also a nice and original starting point)

Hello Tim,

Under the motto "dare to ask":blush Would it be possible to send me also the picture of the wing plan (and maybe also of the fuselage side view)? My drawing is on its way from England. Expected delivery data will be around 13-15 december... The ideas play in my head and I long to start with it to make it a bit more concrete.

Would that be possible? Thanks in advance!

Finally finished Ballerina (waiting on weather for test flight) . So on to the cap 20 I have the free plan, asp 52 Fs has arrived (I realise that it is a little on the large size but that what the throttle is for 😀 I hope ), ordered canopy from vacform , have most of the balsa in stock so just about ready to start construction. Is everyone waiting for January or has battle already commenced 😈.

Paul.

Posted by john stones 1 on 12/12/2017 00:26:36:

About to order my wood now I have my plan, battles commenced for some Paul. I'm good with what anyone does, as long as they join in, only my opinion though. wink

John, Sarik are producing a CNC kit of the Grumpy TC, in time for the 1st of Jan start date, incase you are interested. Not that the 1st Jan start is an issue - if you have the time use it, I say.

Historically, it was always a 1/1 start, but no-one really enforced it. The idea though was that we all start at the same time so progress was recorded in the blogs and anyone stuck would only have to look at recent posts.

Start when you want - its more important that we have lots of participants

Martyn

"John, Sarik are producing a CNC kit of the Grumpy TC, in time for the 1st of Jan start date"

Has anyone any further details on the CNC kit such as when and how much? Only I don't want to invest a load of time transferring and cutting out a kit only to finish at the same time ones available crying

I had an email from Kevin Crozier saying that they (Sarik Hobbies) had some high priority kits in the pipeline but that they would produce a Tigercub cnc kit around Christmas time,- hopefully. I have no idea what it will cost but you could always give Sarik Hobbies a call if you are interested and ask them for an update and price.

Ace,

Nothing too fiddly to cut out on this one. Admittedly the ribs are all different but at least it’s not a biplane!

As for the ply bits I’d like to start a poll for workshop tool of the year and for me it’s the dremmel moto saw. Absolutely brilliant for ply formers, braces etc and probably just cheaper than a CNC pack.

Tim

Cheers Tim for the reassurance. I could probably give most a good run in who has the most tools wins competition - its time that is in short supply and a short cut is always welcome if available.

My fav tool is a bench combi disc/belt sander.

• 3 weeks later...

I will be building the Grumpy Tigercub, with a few subtle changes, so will be ordering the balsa etc from SLEC this week and hope to pick it up either this week or next. The actual build won’t start until the end of Jan as I want to complete the LA-7 first.

PS not a first time builder but it has been a while since I last built from plans and stock balsa!

So no newcomers to building then this time? Make yourself known if you intending to start a model as your first build.

For anybody new to building I suggest the Ghost Rider 50 as an easy model at a reasonable size to build ( big enough to see while not too big to build in a confined space) This is the correct part of Outerzone for this particular size and note that it has ailerons unlike other versions. Also it shows a dihedral brace unlike the smaller ones.( see previous comments from others) Whilst you could download the Outerzone plan and print it in A4 sections and sellotape them together you might think the proper plan from DB Sport & Scale is worth getting together with a set of laser cut ribs here

I am not sure if the DB plan shows ailerons or is rudder elev only but the details on the Outerzone plan could be used as long as the diheral is adjusted for ailerons.

Well not many builders this year.....so far......

I wonder whether the idea of waiting until 1st January is the reason for low turnout. It seems to me that many people have time available from Boxing Day but not as much after New Year, so getting most of the building done in the period just after Christmas would suit more people. I think this aspect should be thought about again when considering next years Mass Build. Regardless of how few people take part this year we should not give up on the Mass Build idea for future years - it's such a good idea to promote building.

I am still on for the CAP 20 L been a little cool down the shed/workshop lately but intend to start now, might need more gas for my heater though 😨. Still early days yet to see how many builders we have as I am sure some are still recovering for last night's celebrations 😱🎉🍷🍻