Warbird Replica Spitfire MKix

Martian

As I understand Richard Wills is no longer going to produce this kit or any in fact , so I,m wondering is there any interest in me doing a log of my build I have only just started on Sunday and have built the wing frame work and top skinned both sides, I'll take piccies and log progress if any interest .thanks peeps

Hi Martian,

Please go on with a complete build log, including lots of pics.

I thought that's what this forum is all about, not?

If this site is just related to "Cold Weather", "Drone Legislation" or "Guns in Society", I'm afraid Richard might not be the last one to 'go'...

Cheers

Chris

Wow thanks fellow modellers. piccies tommorrow, I have been cracking on a bit Servo plates in place undercart plate in place wing tip pieces glue together also top aileron top skin glued together as its in two parts. I am going a little unorthodox in joining the two wing halves together before doing the bottom skin I know it will make it more difficult but I can manage by hanging the wing over the edge of the dining room table I may or may not ask permission first I'm already in trouble for a nice settled layer of sanding dust . just one more note the rib to spar joints are all a loose fit so needed very careful alignment also the trailing edge tip was 4mm short but these have been dealt with just something to watch out for if anyone has one of these kits and not started yet . but all in all it's good

Posted by McG 6969 on 30/11/2017 20:43:05:

Hi Martian,

Please go on with a complete build log, including lots of pics.

I thought that's what this forum is all about, not?

If this site is just related to "Cold Weather", "Drone Legislation" or "Guns in Society", I'm afraid Richard might not be the last one to 'go'...

Cheers

Chris

Is that comment really necessary?

Not a "comment", Tom.

Just a matter of expressing an opinion, if you don't mind.

I surely prefer to read & view some nice build logs than to see this forum turning into some kind of 'tabloïd', which I doubt could be of help to modelling in general and kit manufacturers in particular...

Again, just 'my' opinion.

Cheers

Chris

Martian, go for it yes

I like others like to see how they tackle the various challenges that present themselves as everyone incorporates personal preferences or ways of tackling a particular problem. I don't have the Spitfire but do have 3 other of Richards kits in waiting so - yes please smiley

Go for it Martian - I have one of these that is pretty much assembled, but has been left on the side for the last six months or so while other things got in the way. Just have to decide how to cover and finish it now.

Are you aware of the the build log that Ady Hayward did of this kit here? Was very useful to me as I was building mine.

Posted by Martian on 30/11/2017 21:26:15:

............. I am going a little unorthodox in joining the two wing halves together before doing the bottom skin I know it will make it more difficult but I can manage by hanging the wing over the edge of the dining room table I may or may not ask permission first ...............

Hi Martian

I think we got our kits about the same time earlier this year, and I only started building mine a few weeks ago as well.

I did what you are planning and joined the wing halves before doing the bottom skinning. I didn't have any problems and it worked OK with one half hanging over the edge of the building board. Luckily I didn't have to ask permission as I have a building board in my workshop.

Keep going with your build log and perhaps we can compare notes from time to time.

Dick

wing joining.jpg

Edited By Dickw on 01/12/2017 12:22:50

Posted by Martian on 30/11/2017 19:44:34:

As I understand Richard Wills is no longer going to produce this kit or any in fact , so I,m wondering is there any interest in me doing a log of my build I have only just started on Sunday and have built the wing frame work and top skinned both sides, I'll take piccies and log progress if any interest .thanks peeps

Yes, please carry on as I’m sure there are others like me who have one on the shelf waiting to be built.

I know pictures are supposed to speak a thousand words but I though a brief explanation on some them may be helpful

Pics 1 2 3 4 and 5 show the problem i spoke about the wing tip trailing edge being about 4mms to short and what I did to correct it i also glued in a small reinforcing balsa block.

Pic 6 is of the various blues i use and a couple of weights these are easily recognisable as party ball on weights collected after a kids party they are cement cones wrapped in polythene and some fancy foil if you use these best to leave the foil on or they leak cement dust

The glues from left to right are aliphatic decanted into a small poly bottle i only use this to glue sheet balsa together or where sanding will be required, CA i use to hold a joint fast i,be developed a reaction to it so limit its use, Gorilla glue pva is brilliant fast trap fast glue time and flexible when cured or dry not good to sand though again i decant this glue into a small poly bottle and an inkjet refill syringe these methods are a great way to minimise the amount of glue used in a joint which also helps keep the weight down. I also use plasto which is a fast curing polystyrene filler that is sandable in minutes (smells good to ☺ ) also takes paint well. Shown in another picture is gorrilla glue pu expanding glue i use this in all high strength areas such as wing joining or bulkhead formers in place of two part resin glues it also sands well. Pics 7,8 and 9 i use a dremel type carbon disc to remove the jigging tabs allthough the can be broken off they dont always and you run the risk of damaging the ribs its also not easy to use a razor saw

The rest of the pictures need no explanation except perhaps boxing the main spat to increase surface area grab.

Wings halves are sanded ready to join i,m doing that a bit later

Great progress so far, Martian.

I tend to use Aliphatic or the Belgian branded Soudal PVA as first choice. To be honest, but without much experience though, I fell 'in love' with the water based Deluxe Superphatic (from UK !) as a great CA substitute.

If you don't 'like' CA, perhaps you should give it a try.

Still following, young man.

Cheers

Chris

Edited By McG 6969 on 03/12/2017 18:23:32

Posted by McG 6969 on 03/12/2017 18:21:44:

Great progress so far, Martian.

I tend to use Aliphatic or the Belgian branded Soudal PVA as first choice. To be honest, but without much experience though, I fell 'in love' with the water based Deluxe Superphatic (from UK !) as a great CA substitute.

If you don't 'like' CA, perhaps you should give it a try.

Still following, young man.

Cheers

Chris

Edited By McG 6969 on 03/12/2017 18:23:32

Thanks Chris I will have a look for that and less of the young man