Warbird Replica Spitfire MKix

Martian

• 4 weeks later...

well it's been a while but I have been working away in the Spit, it's mostly wrapped up in brown paper now which is a breeze to do and leaves a nice finish that just needs a coat of thinned dope to prepare for painting.

it is a long slow process glueing thread on the elevator and rudder until I remembered Gulliver and pinned the control surfaces down then placed a pin at each pencil line end and threaded in between nice and tight then using polystyrene glue to fix in place a quick blow with the heat gun job done ready to trim off excess then using watered down PVA glued strips of brown paper over the thread.

spitfire09 001.jpg

spitfire09 002.jpg

wing thing

spitfire09 003.jpg

top front fuselage waiting for cockpit to be finished.

spitfire09 004.jpg

underneath rear fuselage

spitfire09 005.jpg

Andy Rob thank you very much I doubt mine is any better and I've not seen yours

Rob the exhausts I used are the 3d printed ones purchased from Richard . I lined them up carefully then cut through gradually opening out to fit inside then used poly cement to fix in place building up in several layers then did any filling with plastic model filler then sand fill etc, base paint of matt black revell acrylic paint , hope that helps

Thanks Martian, I will put mine together and post a pic of where I am at soon but believe me; yours is better than mine 😀.

Cheers for info re the printed exhaust stacks - they have been bamboozling me a bit for some reason and I still may just play it safe and stick the ‘stock’ ones on the side but let’s see what the morning brings...

Like what you have done with the cockpit too, Mick Reeves was kind enough to make me a special 1/8 version of his spitfire dash but I am having merry hell getting it to fit.

Posted by Robert Hay 4 on 01/03/2018 21:58:31:

Thanks Martian, I will put mine together and post a pic of where I am at soon but believe me; yours is better than mine 😀.

Cheers for info re the printed exhaust stacks - they have been bamboozling me a bit for some reason and I still may just play it safe and stick the ‘stock’ ones on the side but let’s see what the morning brings...

Like what you have done with the cockpit too, Mick Reeves was kind enough to make me a special 1/8 version of his spitfire dash but I am having merry hell getting it to fit.

Rob the stock ones would still look better glued inside to give a slight impression of depth. Rd the cockpit dash cut a piece of paper over size and ease it to the cash former in the cockpit then gently press into all corners and edges cut to shape of the creases now you have a template. If it is you just cannot position in place because of cockpit side just carefully cut a slot to slide in panel then remake side

I've just gone back to my Spitfire build after a lengthy break doing other stuff, and am at about the same stage as you Martian. Mine's covered with glass cloth and Poly-C, another coat and rub back and it will be ready for primer when the weather improves enough for spraying.

img_8169[1].jpg

img_8170[1].jpg

I also have the printed exhausts, and I also managed to bag a glass fibre cowling from Richard. I also scratched my head a lot about how best to fix them, and after studying lots of photos of the full size, I cut the slots then built boxes behind them out of styrene sheet that the exhausts will slot into. Bit more fetting to do, and working out the painting sequence, but I think they'll look OK.

img_8173[1].jpg

img_8174[1].jpg

img_8175[1].jpg

Had to cut clearance slots in the firewall, see the first picture, but it all fits OK.

My build has slowed to a crawl because I have too much going on, including the recent arrival of a new competition electric glider that I need to get ready quickly.

However progress is being made and I very pleased with the printed exhaust stacks from Richard - pic attached plus pic of the one I am modelling. I hadn't realised how old my sanding sealer was hence the colour of the air scoop blush.

I have managed to source a reasonable attempt at the rear cockpit canopy thanks to help from Votex Vacforms.

Dick

cowl.jpgreal side view.jpg

Edited By Dickw on 02/03/2018 17:58:19

Yes I am aware, but I could have missed it so thanks for the tip anyway yes.

I have had to split the scoop, with part on the wing and part on the cowl, so I could get the wing off without removing the cowl or making the scoop a separate removeable item. I have tried to make the split point so it is normally hidden by the wing, but obviously it shows up from underneath - a compromise in the effort to get a practical flying model that looks reasonably good.

Dick

• 2 weeks later...

Hi modellers

still working away but nearly at the paint stage ,it's covered in brown paper awaiting dope then paint, UC has to be fiddled with to get a good alignment Ailerons to be hinged plus servos , I guess about a month got fed up with detailing but will crack on with a bit more. I wasnt keen on the radiators supplied so made some out of balsa and the carb inlet out of blue foam.

spitfire 11 007.jpg

spitfire 11 006.jpg

spitfire 11 005.jpg

spitfire 11 004.jpg

spitfire 11 003.jpg

spitfire 11 001.jpg