Warbird Replica Spitfire MKix

Martian

I,m not authorised to tell you it,s classified only weird people are allowed to know, I would never have believed brown paper would be so easy to use but messy at times but you can smooth it out with your hands also an old credit or gift card to spread the paper flat , it takes cope so well and sands beautifully, can you tell i,m now a fan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

No worries, Martian.

Even if the pics are a bit '"poor", it doesn't really matter. The Spit is coming on well now. Keep up the good job.

A daft question, couldn't just use the airbrush for the entire paint job? Or is it too time consuming with the large surface? I never used an airbrush, so no idea.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks Chris, yes you could airbrush entire plane but as you suggest it is time consuming and indoors it creates a fine just the excited the smoke alarms and annoys my wife oops, I did have a compressor and spray gun but have it away . I'm looking to get an electric spray gun with variable nozzle size for next project which is likely to be a tigercat before the Fury

• 2 weeks later...

That really is looking great. If mine looks half as good I will be very happy, but progress has stalled for the present.

I am looking forward to hearing how the maiden goes, and have my fingers crossed for you.

Dick

I'm the same as you Dick - mine is built and glass cloth covered, so just needs painting and final fitting out and detailing, but I've run out of enthusiasm for it. I have a couple of other bigger, more interesting (now) projects so I think I will be putting the unfinished Spitfire up for sale soon. Shame really as it was a nice kit to build, but I need to clear the decks.

My problem has been making up a canopy for the rear cockpit that actually fits, and I have spent several weeks thinking about it and experimenting.

I have just done a bit more to it and may have solved some of the issues, so the glue is drying now and it this works I can get on with it a bit faster.

Dick

Posted by Dickw on 07/05/2018 18:35:48:

My problem has been making up a canopy for the rear cockpit that actually fits, and I have spent several weeks thinking about it and experimenting.

I have just done a bit more to it and may have solved some of the issues, so the glue is drying now and it this works I can get on with it a bit faster.

Dick

good luck Dick keep going

Posted by McG 6969 on 07/05/2018 18:51:06:

Very nicely done, Martian.

At least you seem to be 'ready' for the October Classroom. yes

I wish I could say the same for myself. blush

Congrats, young man.

Cheers

Chris

thanks Chris and I love the young man comment.

October is a long way off so I'm making a start drawing up Tigercat plans should take some doing

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Martyn K on 18/05/2018 11:55:07:

That looks very nice Martian. What power plant did you use? Sorry if I have missed it somewhere.

Has it flown yet?

Thanks Martyn it was a pleasure to build and has not flown yet I need a volunteer. Powerplant was reccomended and supplied by Richard at Warbird Replicas all I know is that it is a Predator motor no marking to tell me anything else.

• 7 months later...