Martyn's Dalotel

Martyn K

• 4 weeks later...

Made a start yesterday. Almost as much as a tradition starting a MB on the 1/1 as is Turkey on the 25/12

Rather than buy a parts kits, I am building this totally from scratch. I have scanned all the formers and ribs off the plan and reduced them down to 2 colours (Black/White) then cleaned and laser printed (this method does not work with ink jet printers). If anyone wants a set of images to replicate what I have done, please PM me me with your email address. I am not offering a print service though - sorry.

The idea is that each copy is placed face down on the wood then rubbed with Cellulose thinners so that the ink gets transferred to the wood underneath

formers1.jpg

A bit like this

After a couple of hours with bandsaw, fretsaw and a sharp scalpel blade, I got this far.

formers.jpg

The only really tricky ones were the canopy formers which were cut then sanded down as a pair. I still need to drill the holes for the linkage cables but that should be straightforward.

Its going to be slow, I need to get the Fokker finished within the next 6 weeks so I am afraid that will take priority

More to come

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 02/01/2018 10:51:33

I don't think there has ever been any suggestion that Hanno Prettner cheated, but it was only called a semi scale version in RC Scale Aircraft summer 1986. the picture there shows Mr Dalotel with the Prettners and their plane. The paintwork may have been non scale as it has lettering which differs from Boddington's scale version in that magazine. The TOC regs which I saw somewhere ( RCM probably) gave the variation in scale allowed ( might have been 5 or 10 percent! ) as this was FLYING contest only. Hanno also built a special engine for this model which was 2 Super Tigres geared together with gearing machined himself with a lathe made by his sponsors (EMCO Unimat) so it was a remarkable model.

The magazine also says Chris Foss built a Class 1 scale Dalotel. A clubmate saw the Foss version and said it was a magnificent model.

My take on the TOC was that the Americans disliked the big TOC prize money going year after year to Prettner because of his superb flying that they tried anything to stop him!

To avoid the fumes and fire risk of using thinners indoors why not just double sided Sellotape photocopies to the balsa and cut along the line right through the photocopy and balsa? Just score the wood in the case of plywood.

I am very surprised to hear that Prettner got disqualified since that was not reported at the time as far as I am aware. In fact Geoff Franklin told me that he was very impressed by the strange sound the reversible prop made on a downward vertical roll, so it must have flown there. It did in fact have a pair of ST 60`s, probably with Webra carbs fitted since those were his preference.

Hi KC,

I can't remember Hanno being 'cheating' when he flew the Dalotel, but when he entered a 'pseudo' Steen Bolt in 1984, he was rejected from participating as his interpretation of the Bolt was 'way out'... which he admitted publicly later on.

But then of course the Yanks didn't appreciate the vanished price money year after year... and the fact that he got some huge sponsoring money from one of the leading hotels in Las Vegas... surprise

If I remember well, your Super Tigres could also be some coupled Webra 60's... but I guess I'm way too young and unexperienced to be totally sure. blush

Cheers

Chris

When I cut out parts using a fret saw or scapel, I just photo copy (or printout if the plan is a pdf) the plan using an Epson Workforce scanner/printer. The copies are cut out with scissors leaving a margin of a couple of mm and then stuck to the wood using a Prit stick. After cutting out the paper is easily removed. I did buy some A4 labels to peel off and stick after copying or printing which might be even easier but I've never got round to trying it yet.

Posted by kc on 02/01/2018 19:31:23:

To avoid the fumes and fire risk of using thinners indoors why not just double sided Sellotape photocopies to the balsa and cut along the line right through the photocopy and balsa? Just score the wood in the case of plywood.

I have tried paper templates etc before and I never really got on well with it. For simple straight patterns I'll use the pin prick method, but there is so little thinners used, fumes are not really a problem.

Posted by Wasaforumite on 02/01/2018 22:11:04:

When I cut out parts using a fret saw or scapel, I just photo copy (or printout if the plan is a pdf) the plan using an Epson Workforce scanner/printer. The copies are cut out with scissors leaving a margin of a couple of mm and then stuck to the wood using a Prit stick. After cutting out the paper is easily removed. I did buy some A4 labels to peel off and stick after copying or printing which might be even easier but I've never got round to trying it yet.

I have recently acquired a plotter and was thinking along the same lines - try and plot straight onto wood. However, I am more than happy with the method I currently use and I certainly dont want to risk damaging the plotter/cutter. However, It is something to think about for the future

I forgot to mention.

I have now got full size plane on pdf for the first Bridi/Prettner designed ToC Dalotel - that was powered by a Webra Speed 91 which looks totally lost inside that cowl. These will be available from the UKCAA web site shortly. I have also got a slightly smaller 60 sized model. This is not a mainstream plan published set but was produced by a guy called Opi Mapua - also available on PDF. This looks like a very nice build indeed and a more manageable size

For info - the Bridi/Prettner Fuselage plan is nearly 9 foot long...

Ping me if you are desperate for a copy before I manage to upload them

Martyn

The Bridi one is 84" wingspan with wing area of 1260 square inches according to the instructions.

I have emailed you the small version

The problem with the Bridi is the Fus PDF is almost 50MB in size and struggling to reduce it. My ancient version of Adobe Acrobat Standard crashes due to the file size

Spent a little time having a think. Basically the Enya 60fs isnt going to fit. I am very tempted to go electric with with either 4s or 5s. Tons of space for a battery - I'll add top hatch in front of the canopy for access. Need some suggestions on motor and prop sizes though. Estimate auw about 4.5 to 5lb

Any thoughts?

Martyn

That would, I am sure, make a lovely model with a large capacity motor fitted. I noted that the tips are correct on that version. The construction looks rather complex compared with mine, which comprises of foam for the complete top deck, wings, tail, fin and rudder. Other than cutting the fus sides I do not even use a plan. Tried an all balsa 48" Dalo to see if I could save weight but only lost 2.5 oz.

I imagine that there should be a fair amount of interest in it.

Hi Martyn , I am inclined to agree that ic is the way to go I have fallen out of love with electric at the moment. Nothing quite like the sound of a 4 stroke and the smell of 10%👍 I am squeezing in a ASP 51 FS in my CAP 20 L the engine is inverted so the head will stick out a little but it all helps with the cooling 😉.

Paul.