Martyn's Dalotel

Martyn K

Morning all

Back to the engine.

My preferred option was to have been this Enya 60 FS.

enya1.jpg

I am not too worried about the cylinder head sticking down below the cowl (although there is a lot sticking below the cowl.. ) . The real attraction is that the slim silencer is also tucked underneath as well. However, it is a bit of a lump - 620g with Silencer

I will need to make a new slightly larger Firewall and move ot back a bit. Not a huge task

The recommended engine is a 32-46. I want the performance so would opt for a SC46

sc46.jpg

This fits perfectly (as expected). However getting the silencer to fit may be a bit troublesome. I am trying to keep the profile as clean as possible - weight 443g. significantly lighter

At the moment I am edging towards the SC46 but I am going to investigate other FS options.

Back to the construction.

After a couple of evening I am up to here. Fuselage in the jig. Strictly no bananas. The only change I have made is to make the fuselage sides from 3mm balsa (rather than 2.5mm) as I had better - more suitable straight grained wood. Each former also has a 3mm square cross piece glued along the baseline to help keep then stiff while under compression.

fus1.jpg

More to come..

Martyn

I had spotted that on the JE site when I was checking dimensions. I missed a S/H ASP52FS on ebay last night. That would fit much more easily and is actually lighter than the 46. I am thinking of buying a new one - probably from JE if I cant find a s/h one. Funds are a bit tight at the moment as I am just about to tile and fit out the bathroom.

The 46 is slightly heavier I think, 470g including silencer

If you are looking for an ASP 52 or 61 FS check out hobbyking I have the 91, 61 and 52 from them, usually in UK stock and delivered next day. Quite a bit lower in price as well, would recommend you go for the 61 as it is just a bored out 52. I have the 61 in my Ballerina plenty of power, the 52 is going in the CAP I think I will only need to extend the cowl by 1/4 of an inch to get it in.

Paul.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Martin I now have a very nice OS52FS as a power plant and I think you will agree it looks a much better fit:

os52fs.jpg

With that sorted I could get back onto the Fuselage. A couple of tweaks required to the design. The F1 needed to go back about 15mm and the fuel tank lowered to suit the inverted engine,

fus5.jpg

and also showing the Former drilled for the mount and M4 captive nuts fitted to F1

fus4.jpg

A bit tricky enlarging that fuel tank hole with it built into the fuselage. I used a circular saw attachment on the dremel but those things are potentially lethal..

fus2.jpg

Rear stringers added

fus3.jpg

Quite pleased with that

fus6.jpg

With the tank in place and front former done, I could add the upper front decking. One error I spotted afterwards is that the shape around the cockpit it incorrect. I'll need to fix that.

Tailplane and fin next

More to come

Martyn

• 2 months later...

As promised, a bit of an update.

fin1.jpg

I think I mentioned that the elevator horn and pushrod is enclosed in the fuselage. This means that the elevator has to be attached very early into the assembly. Last night I hinged the rudder and set up an "invisible" horn and pushrod.

rudder1.jpg

The idea is to have a translucent horn and piano wire rod that will integrate into the nylon/ptfe tube inside the snake outer - out of sight. Linkage is a z bend. A bit more of the inner still be trimmed away but you get the idea.

The 3mm ply tailwheel plate was added this morning after breakfast

While I was on a roll, I also fitted the RET servos as well last night

servos1.jpg

and

pushrods.jpg

I was originally going to lay them flat butt the space behind the tank was just too good not to use. There is just enough space and they are out of sight. It does mean that getting the tank out if necessary will mean a bit of surgery .

fus7.jpg

With the push-rods in place, the lower sheeting was added. This needed a slight crease (helped by a scalpel) to accommodate the shallow vee shape for the first 100mm or so behind the wing

Finally, the engine mount was fitted as well so that I can align the throttle pushrod.

All the wing ribs have been cut so hopefully I will make a start on the wing later this week.

More to come

Martyn

Hi Martyn, that rudder pushrod looks rather flimsy to me to operate such a powerful surface. I am very surprised that you are apparently not using pull-pull. My 2m Dalo has the elevator and rudder servos under the tail, connected with short 3mm rods. Every version of this that I have built required lead in the tail anyway due to the rather rearward cg position.

Thanks Martin

I did ponder using a closed loop system and now wished I had done so. I think that I'll beef it up with a carbon tube sleeve. I have used this system before without any problems though - Its a big rudder, but not a huge model but I agree it needs to be kept under control..

A bit more progress over the weekend.

Wing panels assembled and joined - exactly as per plan

wong2.jpg

Sheeted

wing3.jpg

There is washout shown on the plan and this has been added as I install the LE sheeting and webs

wing4.jpg

I still need to add the underside sheeting but first, I need to sort out the retracts. I am inclined to add a pair of HK Oleos but they wont fit in the space provided - the front servo u/c rail is in the way so I need to do a bit of surgery.

While I am pondering that, I was about to start making the instrument consoles. They are different front and back.

instrument_panel.jpg

Danny Fenton found this image. However, we are both puzzled what the device is that looks like a dartboard on the rear panel.

Any suggestions?

Martyn

Thanks Stuart

Its not quite the same but much clearer.

I was reading an article in a US Magazine. The reason why the panels are very different front and back is that there was insufficient space for all the instruments on the primary (rear) panel and the pilot had to use instruments on the front panel as well by peering around the passenger. So Turn/Slip and VSI are on the front panel which is just a tad unusual..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Fellows,

My name is John Holman I am new to the site. I scored a Bridi Dalotel 84" NIB kit. So recently that I dont have it in my hands as yet. So I am researching it a bit and found you fellows. It calls for a .91 engine, at first glance I think this is not enough engine for this bird. I fly 80" models in the 10/12 lb range and use 35cc gas. I was thinking a RCGF 30CC twin. There is also a 21cc twin. Petrol engines. what are your thoughts?

You fellows may find interest in a 50% build by Roger Forgues. I don't know how to post a link but find it on Giant Scale News. The post is Forgues-Research- 50% Dalotel. He is preparing this for 2019 Top Gun. Very capable builder. 300cc. flat four engine. He is located in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada. I am located in Saskatoon SK. Canada. We still have 2 ft of snow so wont be flying for a while. Roger is a very nice chap and shares info readily. I have been in contact with him. He has a very good fiber optic servo lead, which I purchased a set.

Cheers,

John

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 18/04/2018 21:50:23