Martyn's Dalotel

Martyn K

Progress update.. I am spending rather a lot of time on this and don't seem to be getting very far. Working on two areas, the cowl and the undercarriage and then doing bits like adding cap strips while I have a few spare minutes.

There is only one accurate 3v that I can find and this does not appear to be too accurate(!) The cowl shape is wrong - it appears to be too narrow compared with the few photos I can find.

dalotel-3v.jpg

As I mentioned, the engine will be inverted. A quick test fit and the tank was still too high - so this has been lowered again. It will need a small cut-out in the wing to accommodate - that. I will need about 6mm removing from the upper wing centre section. Hey ho..

Anyway. The cowl. Basically built as per plan but taking care trying to get the shape right - especially around the rear curves or straights. I still haven't decided which is really correct.

cowl1.jpg

All still a bit rough - WIP

cowl2.jpg

The original was a Glass Fibre cowl and sat on top of the basic fuselage shape. the drop is intended. I'll glass the cowl in 18gm cloth - it will add a bit of resilience. I said it was still a bit rough...

cowl3.jpg

Surprisingly, the cylinder head doesn't protrude too far. The bottom part is (or will be removable) for access. The FS exhaust with exit at the rear opening. I'll need to get a new manifold for this. There is a vent from under the cowl at the rear which will be expanded. The inner side of the cowl will have a dummy radiator fitted both halves. This will be useful for deflecting the air to the cylinder head I hope.

The undercarriage has been fun as well. Using HK retracts, I am trying to replicate the some look as the prototype. I was originally intending on using oleos but the ones I bought were too big. However the stanchions were the correct size. Heat shrink represents the rubber gaiters.

wheels1.jpg

The leg is fastened to the retract unit using a stub of 4mm piano wire. To prevent it rotating in the stanchion, the leg was slotted (using a diamond cutting wheel on the Dremel) and pinned through using 16swg piano wire and then all slow epoxied into place. The little grub screws supplied stripped the aluminium thread the first time I tried to tighten them. You can see the pin holes if you look closely. Not much suspension but the tyres (are slightly oversize) but VERY soft. That is the springing.. I'll need to land this carefully.

wheels2.jpg

One challenge I have is to fabricate the doors so they open outwards at an angle when the undercarriage is lowered but close up and move upwards when the undercarriage is retracted. Its all about trigonometry. I just have to work out the angles and linkage lengths.

wheelwell.jpg

The wheel well bay has a 1/32 ply reinforcement ring on the inside

wheelwell2.jpg

The bay itself has been doped and sealed and a coat of fuel proof grey paint added. I am not adding any wheel well walls.

That's about if at the moment. The aileron fitting is the next airframe bit. Doing Trigonometry is the next thinking carefully bit.

More to come but this is slow. May get it finished by Christmas at this rate.

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 24/04/2018 15:26:14

• 2 weeks later...

A little bit more progress. Having spent quite a bit of time trying to sort out the undercarriage doors I think I have finally succeeded to get it almost right.. The problem is that the doors need to open and maintain alignment with the the oleo. Sounds straightforward except my retract units are not angles forward, but the legs are.. Using the same mechanism that was used on the full size, the doors sit higher on the wheel when retracted, but when lowered they move downwards and outwards - if that makes sense.

5 attempts to get the left leg lined up the right leg was right first time. It means that the hinges for the door need to be raked which means that they are very slightly skewed inwards when extended, but that is a compromise I can live with..

The video show the operation but basically, the link pin is set so that the door is pulled closed when retracted, but as it extends, because the door hinge is further out that the leg hinge, it pushes the door downwards and outwards.. Really pleased with that.

Ailerons have been built and I thought a couple of bare bones shots would be worthwhile..

bare bones2.jpg

and

barebones3.jpg

and

bare bones1.jpg

The angled wingtips have also been finished. Today I have wired in the aileron servo extension leads and sheeted the bottom of the wing.

Quite pleased with this..

More to come

Martyn

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more progress. For a mass build model this is taking an age...

Tailwheel

The fullsize had a piper cub tailwheel on an extended leaf spring like this.

tailwheel1.jpg

The pivot for the steerable tailwheel was at the end of the leafspring and steering was accomplished by using two springs back to the rudder. Just like a model I guess

I decided that I wasn't going to make it steerable, the pivot would be too small so settled for a fixed wheel but will put in a dummy steering mechanism

tailwheel2.jpg

Leafsping from a strip of brass with the 16swg piano wire 'leg' soldered on top. I'll fair it all in before painting.

tailwheel3.jpg

The springs will go to a dummy horn plugged into the fuselage

Cowl has been fun.

cowl4.jpg

The cowl blister has been added and also a joining strap using Danny's method of creating panel lines. There are some rivets (they could have been bolts on the prototype but the image was rather grainy).

cowl5.jpg

Not very clear. Sorry. The strap goes top and bottom but clearly interrupted by the engine and silencer

Holes now cut for the exhaust and rear vent (I am modelling the original incarnation of the prototype - the later one had a different exhaust arrangement). It will eventually have a couple of nice angle aluminium pipes coming through the lower holes

cowl6.jpg

Finally, the 'belly pan' under the wing has been built as well. Conveniently, the full size had a similar arrangement with joins in the same places (as far as I can see).

The cowl has just been painted with a little more hi build - hopefully it will get 2 pack this weekend and then I can cover the fuselage.

Still need to complete the cockpit detail, I want to try a couple of ideas for this.

More to come

Martyn

Thanks Paul.

If the weather remains lousy this weekend then it may get some Solartex applied..

However, I am *still* working on that cowl. It needs to be right.

I am trying to get it to the 'Stand Off Scale' standard where I can take it to a Scale Fly-in and hopefully it will be viewed as something just a little more than a sports model. I think that it's just a little too small to be a proper contest model but may fit in rather well with the new Light Scale class being promoted by the BMFA Scale Committee.

LOL - thanks Ian.. Still didn't get it painted this weekend. Planning to paint the Foka and this at the same time so working getting the Foka ready for paint as well.

Martin - it's a one off and I certainly didn't expect to spend so much time on this. I have done some moulding in the past but I cant pretend that I have been very successful..

The DM165 always looked quite a smart aircraft augmented I guess in part by the colour scheme. It appealed to me some years back when RC Scale Aircraft Quarterly (if I remember correctly) did an article and free plan. I built one and powered it with a four stroke. With how electric has come on it might be good to find the plan and build an electric version.

I remember seeing the HP Dalotel once I think at Sandown one year.

Good luck with your build Martyn.

• 4 weeks later...
. I'll update the blog tomorrow when i have access to a proper keyboard. In the meantime, would anyone know if the Dalotel used rib tapes over the open structure? I can't see any in any of the photos but they are a bit on the old and grainy side.

Thanks

Martyn

Its that time of year where maintenance has to take precedence over building. I have still got 3 models on the go but the Dalotel will definitely get finished first.

I eventually got to the state where I was happy with the cowl and its had a coat of white.

dsc_0511.jpg

Its the wrong shade of white but that will get fixed later. The step between the cowl and the fus is also a little large but there is nothing I can do about it now..

dsc_0512.jpg

I have also started detailing the cockpit areas, Its a shame the floor is so shallow, but again, nothing I can do about that either.

dsc_0513.jpg

Fuselage getting covered. It was at this point I realised I had ordered the wrong shade of Yellow Solartex. This is too light and even worse, its translucent so will need to be painted. Something I was hoping to avoid.

dsc_0514.jpg

There is a single 3mm wide stringer that runs down the length of the fus. It makes covering the fus quite tricky

dsc_0515.jpg

Basically, taking my time, I just got on with the covering. You can see the cowl is the wrong shade of white here. Not a problem, as the white solartex will have to be painted anyway.

dsc_0516.jpg

and

dsc_0517.jpg

The translucency is easily visible here.

A quick coat with rattle can yellow on the under surface of the tailplane does help though.

dsc_0518.jpg

So the next job is to get it masked up and painted..

Weight so far with radio gear and retracts but no engine is 1.6kg

More to come

Martyn

That is really nice. The weight sounds very reasonable too.

I would be surprised if it did not have rip tapes. On fabric covered aircraft the fabric is normally sewn to the ribs and the tape covers the stitches.

I seem to remember one or two aircraft where the fabric is held down with screws but I cannot be sure opf that.