Martyn's Dalotel

Martyn K

Thanks Peter.

Looking at the 3V, it appears that wing was fully sheeted with only the elevators, aileron and rudder having exposed ribs.

dalotel-3v.jpg

The close up of the rudder above (at the top of the page) doesn't seem show any tapes. . TBH, I am inclined to leave them off although I am very surprised I can't see any. Its never going to be a contest model but I do want it to look 'right' for things like scale fly-ins. It feels much heavier than 1.6kg so I was quite surprised and pleased when I saw the weight on the scales last night.

Stuart. I am trying Acrylics (using a spray gun and compressor) for the first time on the 1/4 scale Foka. I am actually finding it far more difficult than using rattle cans because the paint takes much longer to dry. It does dry very smoothly though and the coverage and density is very good. I am using Valspar acrylic paint from B&Q. (They can colour match for you). I did originally try thinning it but it was far too runny but leave run stains rather than lumpy runs (if that makes sense).

This mornings job was to make and add the trim tabs using litho plate. Epoxied and in this heat it will be dry by lunchtime. The non functional spoilers will go on after painting. They were light grey as well

Martyn

Martyn

Thanks for the information on paint selection and technique. I was thinking of using Vallejo acrylics (haven’t checked the colour charts yet!). I have both airbrushes and an HVLP gun running off a compressor so was not looking to use rattle cans. I agree spray paint can take it’s time to dry, depends on how thin you can spray it, thinner the better, but you have to still get coverage. Very much a learner with spraying, but getting somewhere with it. Usually, if it’s the right consistency to get through an airbrush (milk-like) it will dry reasonably quickly. At least it doesn’t turn the air in the work room paint colour, almost no overspray.

Given I haven’t got any Solartex to use as a base, I might be looking at Oratex or similar. Oratex is pricey but don’t know of alternatives at this stage.

S

Regarding the Solartex, I was surprised to see quite a bit of it for sale at W&W. A while ago, I did an aileron conversion on a Bistormer for a club mate and he provided some covering material which resembled Solartex but was transparent and very much lighter. Went on a treat. Unfortunately he cannot remember what it was or where it came from.

• 3 weeks later...

A bit more progress. Nearly all paint although I have added anti-spin strakes and trim tabs.

end1.jpg

and

end2.jpg

and

end3.jpg

and

end4.jpg

However, looking at bit more closley. I clearly cut the masks a but too quickly because the edge is a bit jagged

end5.jpg

The lettering on the right side didn't come out too well although I have managed to tidy it up a bit

end6.jpg

I have spotted some of the small letter centres and tidied some of the black with a 0000 sized sable brush but that really was a bit too big

Next jobs are.

Add a bit more scale detail, the instrument panels, a dummy engine and fins, klasskote clear and then a maiden. The graphics for the panels have been done, just need to get them cut. New blades please!

More to come

Martyn

Thanks all

It will still be a while before it gets flown. Hopefully completed and maidened before the Ashborne October Scale Day. Lots of fiddly bits to do yet

Certainly the biggest Mass build effort I have done so far. I normally finish them within 2 weeks

Martyn

• 3 weeks later...

A bit more progress

The airframe has been sprayed with KlassKote clear (2 thin coats). Seems to have gone on OK..

So mainly been working on the cockpit and the cowl installation

cowl7.jpg

Engine loosely fitted and this much protrudes. I can learn to live with that

cowl8.jpg

However, I do have a problem with the silencer. I think I will need a right angle knuckle join then short extension and I'll make my own silencer which will be heat insulated but screwed to the firewall and the exhaust venting from the centre. That will have to wait for a couple of weeks though as holidays are getting in the way

cowl9.jpg

From the front it looks like this. There are two dummy oil coolers. The original only had one on the LHS but I have added a second to fill an empty gap. The coolers are made from 1/32 balsa with 1/16 balsa spacers with the radiator bars angled very slightly. Quite fiddly. Painted Satin black then a little silver dry brushed in to give a bit of a highlight or two.

The cockpit instrument panels have also been progressing

panel1.jpg

The panels are cut from black art paper, the instrument faces are from the RCM&E download - reduced in size slightly and printed onto photo paper. Knobs and fuse holders are cut from the inner of push rods and mainly painted black. The key is a washer with a litho key glued into place.

panel2.jpg

The gap is intentional. No instrument was fitted at that point.

The instrument bezels were cut from thin single core instrument wire, wound as a spring and then circles cut off. Epoxied into place. Glass is 0.5mm PETG

The 24 channel crystal controlled transceiver dartboard was a fiddle. I used mu Silhouette to cut the shape, tacked it down and then carefully removed the unwanted bit. The triangles are about 2mm long.. Took 3 attempts.

panel3.jpg

It should look like this

panel4.jpg

Mine now looks like this. Not too unhappy with that. It is a learning exercise after all

I need a pilot

cockpit2.jpg

Sadly, Ken is just too big even with 90% of his torso removed

cockpit1.jpg

Seats and retaining straps fitted

cockpit3.jpg

and the front windscreen with a litho border. I hadn't spotted that it kinked slightly.

So - still to do. Find a pilot and dress and fit him/her. Stuff like seat belts and some cables that I missed need to be added and sort out the silencer.

And I am away on holiday now for 3 weeks. Back in September

More to come but there will be an intermission

Martyn

• 1 month later...

Back from my holidays and cracking along to get this finished

All the control surfaces have now been fastened in and pushrods fitted. Trying to keep away from things like visible clevises which although convenient tend to detract on a demi scale model.

The cockpit has been completed and things like joystick, seat belts etc have been added. brackets etc from lith and quick release from washers and pins.

The pilot was a challenge. I eventually carved my own head (not literally) and produced Marvyn. Any resemblance to a person living or dead is entirely coincidental. Of course, he is a ginge, is there any other colour?

pilot2.jpg

Body is polystyrene with foam legs and arms. I didn't bother with hands, that was a challenge too far.

cockpit4.jpg

Clearly a body builder but proportions look about right

I compromised on the exhaust after prevaricating for a few days. I bought the 90 degree elbow from just engines and fitted the standard exhaust.

exhaust1.jpg

A bit grubby underneath but it wiped clean. The exhaust isn't too obvious when sat on its wheels.

Final jobs included fitting the curved section of the cockpit canopy and adding a lith frame and rivets

and then suddenly,

it was finished.

finished1.jpg

and

finished2.jpg

and

finished3.jpg

and (airbrakes are dummies, cut from lith, painted and epoxied to the wing surface)

finished4.jpg

and

finished5.jpg

Actually, there are still a couple of minor jobs. There needs to be a black seal that fits around the wing root and a little bit of clean up still required.

The CG is just slightly on the safe side but I think I will need to move it back after the maiden, which is unlikely to happen this weekend

Not much more to come..

Martyn

Thanks Martin. The wooden prop in the photos is an 11x7. A 12x6 would probably be better. I did get a bit carried away with it. This is the first 'proper' scale model I have ever completed, the Chippie is now back on the bench so hopefully get some progress on that before the Fury build starts. I am also drawing up a 60 sized Mystic clone for next years UKCAA events. I'll publish details later

• 5 weeks later...