1/6 Westland Whirlwind

Yes, it had a retractable tail wheel and it's the only piece which is a bit distracting, when I compare pictures with the original Whirlwind. But I had cancelled that because of the far forward center of gravity. And of course it's a bit easier to build, too. Maybe I'll try that on one of the next models. I have to learn a lot concerning scale landing gears.

Concerning plans, at least the Yak-9 was published some years ago 🙂

But thanks for the question. I should think about a new article. The drawings and articles are plenty of work. Moving to the house three years ago interrupted that a bit and I have to restart that activity. For the moment I'm happy to build the models. There's a huge backlog, time is short and you don't always have the energy.

Actually I resumed working on the Whirlwind. Installing lights and completing the cockpit. There's always another job before the painting starts.

And I started some minor work on another 1/6 scale project. Years ago I did the drawings for a Ki-43 Hayabusa and some friends started building it. One is already flying. Another was built 50% by a very good friend, who died 2 years ago. I will finish his Hayabusa.

Timo

• 1 month later...

I started installing LEDs. Tail and wing tip were straight forward. The landing lights will be a bit more work. I thought about attaching them to the landing gear, but they would have to be removable in case of servicing the oleos. So I chose to put them in the outer wing panel and have them retractable, like the original.

I haven't found a picture of the original landing light. After looking closely to the drawings and plastic models, I changed the hinge type to a hidden version.

Timo

IMG_1664.JPG

IMG_1681.JPG

IMG_1963.JPG

IMG_1964.JPG

IMG_1966.JPG

IMG_1968.JPG

IMG_1974.JPG

IMG_1986.JPG

IMG_2102.JPG

IMG_2136.JPG

IMG_2149.JPG

IMG_2151.JPG

IMG_E2443.JPG

• Like 3

Apologies, I've looked more closelyand seen your light bowl plug.  Very clever!

The CG on yours looks to be in a reasonably conventional position.  I seem to remember Chris Golds publishing his plan and in the write up it was much much further back than would have been thought safe.  No arguing with how yours flies though.  It looks really good.

The COG is a small distance forward to the 1/3 wing depth, which is normal for my models. In the case of the Whirlwind and it's high elevator position, I started just slightly nose heavy. Flying should be fine with a certain range of the COG, but stalls with COG too far back could be bad.

There are three documents from the RAeS and an interesting ebook from NASA:

https://www.aerosociety.com/publications/jah-on-the-early-history-of-spinning-and-spin-research-in-the-uk-part-1-the-period-1909-1929/

https://www.nasa.gov/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/483000main_modelingflight.pdf

I haven't tried a wing stall and spinning with the Whirlwind, yet. It flies really slow and safe so there wasn't the need to go further. My focus in low speed tests was elevator efficiency and that is perfect from the moment the tail comes up right to the point the tail goes down after the landing. The wing is safe, especially with the low wing loading. But I know from similar models, that it can get very uncomfortable if you loose the elevator efficiency, especially when you're too slow and apply power too quick.

Timo

The first of the landing lights is finally moving 🙂

All parts of the hinge are from glass fibre, which is robust and easy to glue. The complete piece including the servo is at 25 grams.

Next jpb is applying the clear cover and an extensive update on the wiring...

Timo

IMG_2866.JPG

IMG_2867.JPG

IMG_2868.JPG

IMG_2869.JPG

IMG_2870.JPG

IMG_2871.JPG

Edited by Timo Starkloff
  • Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Timo, your Whirlwind is truly spectacular made even more so by it being designed by you! I would love to get a set of plans if you are even planning to release them. I built a large WW but lost it due to a wing failure so I'm trying to find another.

Vanguard Westland Whirlwind.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, sad to hear that. I think I read your story in a forum.

It will take some time until the plans are finished. A Beech 18 came in the way… More on that later 😊

But if you’re interested building the Whirlwind from half finished plans, please send me a message. Someone from Germany doesn’t want to wait and actually starts building the Whirlwind. It will be helpful for me to correct and improve issues. My build was very straightforward, but you may know there are always ideas for improvement.

Timo