1/6 Westland Whirlwind

The next task will be the center wing and I started preparations for that. It's 1220 mm long and so I have to lengthen spars and other pieces. Splicing (correct word?) spars is something new for me, but something usual in aircraft construction, so it's time to learn that. I made a flat parcel from all four pieces and sanded them to a certain angle (30 mm in my case, the spar height is 3 mm). Then they are glued and kept pressed together during drying. The result is really satisfying, straight and stiff and quiet easy to achive

f009.jpg

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 25/12/2018 12:32:29

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 25/12/2018 12:32:58

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 25/12/2018 12:36:22

Good to hear that you enjoy this thread I'm quiet confident with all wood work but it seems I have to get more used to other topcis, like landing gear, gear doors, cockpit... You don't care for all that when building small 1/12 models! There are certain details waiting for a solution for the Whirlwind. I'm still busy with the nacelle design and the tail wheel is another open task.

That's why I'm also happy following other peoples building threads, it's just nice to watch and sometimes there is something to learn.

Timo

f026.jpg

f027.jpg

f029.jpg

f030.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Many hours went into the design of the nacelles, took me much longer than expected. The nacelles look huge, but at the important place there is no space to waste. Accumulator, landing gear and wing are quiet close to each other. In the end I had to redraw many parts several times for optimization.

And when preparing everything for plotting at the copyshop I thought that I had drawn too many parts for those nacelles. But I will leave it the way it is now, maybe except some more hollowing of certain parts. A new redesign would take too long and even my patience is zero at one point. After all, the nacelles have some important jobs to do and have to be sturdy for that - holding the motor, a heavy accumulator and a long landing gear.

So I started again ironing parts on plywood and cutting them out, but for the last time concerning that model

m001.jpg

m002.jpg

m003.jpg

welkin 30-10-07 007.jpgThis is going to be really special, what a great project. Just for interest, this is Petter’s next design and the Whirlwind’s bigger brother, the Welkin. I built this a few years ago but haven’t flown it. The kitchen has been refurbished since then! Petter’s life story is fascinating, through the Canberra, Lightning and Gnat. He had a very sad end through getting caught up with a fanatical religious cult in Switzerland. Hard to believe when you look at his designs from the Lysander onwards. welkin 30-10-07 001.jpg

It really is, Danny

I found your Welkin pictures when I did research for the Whirlwind, Colin. Looking really good! What was the reason it never flew? The Welkin must be perfect for PSS, had anyone tried that? There are so many interesting planes waiting to be built. My plan is a 1929 racing biplane as next model, but instead in spare time I’m preparing a quick plan for some friends for a Ki-43 (for one of them it’s his absolute favourite aircraft). Not sure if I take part in that project. Could be kind of a small mass build project

Timo