1/6 Westland Whirlwind

Hello Marco, it seems you have to become a club member to join the webinar:

www.whirlwindfighterproject.co.uk/membership/

https://www.facebook.com/merlinai57/

I don't think there are more than some sketches of the twin tail Whirlwind. I remember a model, too. But it never got far.

Timo

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 16/01/2021 08:52:37

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The horizontal stabiliser is covered with Oratex, aftwards I resumed work on the nacelles. Due to too strong magnets and the flat shape of the hatch (difficult to grip) I changed to a classic hatch opener. The brushless controller got a plywood plate to be attached to. The motor is attached to the aluminium plate for better stability due to the huge spinner and lower temperature through higher mass.

Timo

M057.JPG

M058.JPG

M059.JPG

M060.JPG

M061.JPG

M062.JPG

L037.JPG

L038.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to use a leftover nose wheel as tail wheel, as previously planned. So I can close the fuselage tail. A small hatch will be installed, slightly bigger than planned for access to the tail wheel, linkage and tail wiring.

The nacelles still need the air intakes & exhaust cover. Actually it's made from several layers of 3 mm balsa. It will be useful as an cooling air inlet, although small. I haven't decided yet if I use them as a template for glassfiber parts.

Timo

R039.JPG

• Like 2

Last preparations for the cartridge collector and gun camera. It took a while to get the proper shape from photographs (drawings were not accurate). And then I had to make some corrections since the airfoil thickness of my model is not perfectly scale and their height shouldn't be too different.

Timo

F069.JPG

F070.JPG

• Like 2

The nacelles inlet and outlet is a typical Petter design. Looking very easy, but changes shape from front to rear, slightly bent and following the curve of the nacelle. I sanded it from balsa two times and decided to make the four of them from glassfiber.

Balsa parts are vacuum formed the quick & dirty way, afterwards filled with Reliefco 300 ceramic (which is nice and easy to be sanded to perfect shape), once again vacuum formed and these parts are now used as a mold for glassfiber parts.

Now only the lengthened exhaust for the inner nacelle sides is needed (to prevent exhaust fumes going to the air inlet on the wing leading edge of the original).

Timo

M065.JPG

M066.JPG

M067.JPG

M068.JPG

M069.JPG

M070.JPG

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Last winter I did a complete refurbishment of my new workshop. A few last improvements were done during the year, including the glass cabinet for the 1/72 collection. The goal is to resume work on the Whirlwind this winter, after the two years break due to moving. Some smaller models were being built, I have to admit and I started edf jet flying although these are read to fly models (Freewing MiG-21 & A-10, much fun and a lot to learn with them).

Timo

0EC00CCB-1940-4BEE-8221-3AEC9FE6D82A.jpeg

FE6C9AD2-B593-44AD-AD14-B69414BD7001.jpeg

53770C93-C076-40D7-AE54-27669FB4274C.jpeg

• Like 1