Laser Engines - Technical questions

Jon H

1 minute ago, Artto Ilmanen said:

Hi Jon,

I mounted my 300v back on my Yak 54

As I started the engine I had issues originated to poor condition 2v battery. It just failed to deliver more than about 1v when connected. I do think the battery is just done and need to replaced. My setup is: I'm using a remote glow adapter, the -ve lead on one of the nuts securing a silencer and the +ve leads to both plugs. I wonder if there are some benefit of connecting the leads as you do vs. my setup?

Another thing, I'm tempted to use a 2,4v NIMH battery to have a bit more power but is there risk of reducing glow plug life time (OS F)  due to over voltage?  I'f my memory serves, the glow plugs are designed for 1,5v?

I suppose you do not use the 2,4v battery with your single cylinder engines / OS F plugs?

I have an old Laser 90 that has been pulling my Dragon Lady round for a few years but it has lost its ability to rev out, It pulled a 15x6 very nicely and sounded very crisp but it has dropped to just over 7000 max now, I popped the head off and the valves seat without leaking and valve clearances were ok.

It has poor compression compared to my  other laser engines and I wondered if piston rings might be worth changing.

I realise Jon isn't interested in old engines but someone might know where I can find some rings.

Thanks

Glenn

17 hours ago, Glenn Stevenson said:

Oddly the compression has improved without touching it, cant keep running it in my garden (neighbours!) so I,l try it at the field when the wind drops. 

Valve springs dont seem as strong as my laser 80 so that might be a factor, probably cant get them though.

Glenn

Valve springs are the only part of the valve gear that is the same as the current engines. I can send some but if you loose a collet or retainer the engine is done for as the current parts are a different design

If anyone is interested I have used a glow power panel for as many years as I can remember. If you look up `Glow Plug indicator` , page 3, there is the circuit I sent to Jeff Cottrell. It may struggle with two plugs in parallel but could be modified by varying R`X` to give 2.4V for a twin from almost any power source you wish. Very simple to construct, just string the few components across the regulator ic.

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, David Hazell 1 said:

Hi Jon, I wonder if you could identify whether this engine is a "current" one:

image.thumb.png.691c28487ee840cbade1e23140588c3c.png

Wondering whether I should make a bid - it's described as "new", but wondering if in fact it is eons old...

Thanks in anticipation!

Same as mine I think on BMFA site

IMG-20210920-WA0000.jpeg

the 70 is current spec with our own carb. the one listed on bmfa is a late 90's 150 with an upgrade to a post 2006 laser carb. early engines used super tigre, 1995-2006 irvine carbs were used, since then we made our own. 

• Like 1

On 21/10/2021 at 18:19, Jon - Laser Engines said:

the 70 is current spec with our own carb. the one listed on bmfa is a late 90's 150 with an upgrade to a post 2006 laser carb. early engines used super tigre, 1995-2006 irvine carbs were used, since then we made our own. 

I watched it and it went for £199.00 plus 6 quid postage! I think for me a warranty is worth spending to get something new and guaranteed...

How do I order a new one Jon?

2 hours ago, David Hazell 1 said:

I watched it and it went for £199.00 plus 6 quid postage! I think for me a warranty is worth spending to get something new and guaranteed...

How do I order a new one Jon?

you could send me a pint of blood as a deposit, then there is a ritual involving sacrifice. its a whole thing ? 

Or, you can just call me in the morning ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, andyh said:

I dare say you've been asked this before, but 80-odd pages is rather lot to read - is there any reason why Laser don't make flat twins?

many thanks  ?

i think at the time every other manufacturer did them so laser did v's instead. Now, im working on it 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dad_flyer said:

Start here: 

and then forwards and back in that thread...

thanks for that ?  what a great thread - not sure how I missed it, the v4 is fabulous.

an AcroWotXL with a flat twin in it would be rather good fun  ?

OK, so I always tell myself "No question is a stupid question", but I might be pushing the boundaries here...

Noob query. I searched for "LASER LUBRICATE" on here to try to find a definitive answer but there wasn't anything directly applicable to the Shiny new Laser 70 in my paws. Nor is there anything in the instruction sheet to tell me: How much lubricant through the breather nipple before first running in? I think I have some two stroke motor oil for a gasser I've never gotten round to flying so will decant some into a little bottle with a bit of fuel tubing for application purposes...

Also, Do I have to perform this (and rocker) lubrication step every three hours running? I see in an old version of the instructions it says to do that, but not on the instructions I received with my engine...

Oh and What torque should the prop nut be tightened to? I have a decent cycle torque wrench that would come in handy for me to be able to "get a feel" for how tight it needs to be once I have torqued it a couple of times.

I will have many more questions but these are the first ones...

Thanks in anticipation!