Laser Engines - Technical questions

Jon H

Thanks Jon. Think then I 'll stick with Laser fuel for the Laser engines. Just worried it was not going to be avaliable anymore. But if it is being continued by Optifuel and avaliable then I carry on using Laser fuel for the Laser engines. It is cheaper (or was) then Optimix  12%.

• 1 month later...
On 28/12/2017 at 16:23, Jon - Laser Engines said:

nope that sounds like the tank. As the fuel level reduces so does the fuel head and that effectively leans the mixture and that is the cause of your issues.

Lowering the tank shouldn't be too back on the chippy, we have had many lasers fitted to that model without issue.

If it helps, you might be able to use a smaller tank as you shouldn't need more than 12oz for the 150. This might help squeeze it into the space if you have other stuff in the way that cannot be removed with some hacking.

IF the Laser is mounted upright, and the tank is level with the engine mount centerline, will the high carb feed alright ?. And do Laser have a favourite glo plug ? Thanks

If the engine is upright and the tank mounted very low the engine will run ok for the most part but you might suffer a slight leaning of the mixture under high G force. This is usually only a problem at full throttle. There will also be significant richening of the mixture under heavy negative G in, for example, an outside loop. 

Generally though a tank mounted directly behind the engine will be no problem as the c/l of the tank will be in line with the c/l of the crankshaft. This will put the top of the tank higher and somewhere just under the carb. This is ok and while a little low for optimum performance it can be tuned out. Certainly its a far better position than having the tank higher than the carb. 

For glow plugs there are only 2 in the entire world as far as i am concerned. The OS F for all 4 strokes, and the OS No8 for all 2 strokes. I have never found any other plugs work as consistently or for as long as those two so i stick to them. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

I can lend you an Enya N°3 Jon, just ask,,,?

I know loads of people love the enya 3 but i cant stand them. They seem to fail in 5 minutes and they are a funny shape so none of the glow clips fit them. 2/10, must try harder. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

I know loads of people love the enya 3 but i cant stand them. They seem to fail in 5 minutes and they are a funny shape so none of the glow clips fit them. 2/10, must try harder. 

Thanks Jon. How do I buy a Laser 70 please ?

Regards

6 minutes ago, Maurice Dyer said:

Thanks Jon. How do I buy a Laser 70 please ?

Regards

Cant at the moment as its out of production. Going to be a while before its back as we have to make a load of parts for it. 

Which model are you powering? i might be able to get an 80 together

1 hour ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Cant at the moment as its out of production. Going to be a while before its back as we have to make a load of parts for it. 

Which model are you powering? i might be able to get an 80 together

It's only a JP kit build Panic. How log is the wait on the 70  ?

Not a technical question, more of a thank you.

Jon - Laser Engines - thank you very much.

Why you may ask?

Well I have had a SC52 four stroke motor fitted to a Ripmax version of the Bullet which has been nothing but unreliable.

Great for increasing heart rate and dead stick practice but nowt else.

Many have twiddled and fiddled and suggested fixes - no solution.

So I took on Jons info that he often posts.

I corrected the tank height and tweaked and adjusted as per his information.

Absolutely marvellous, I now have an engine which does not cut out or stall on me and which is burning less fuel and therefore spreading less gunk over my plane.

I had a full days flying on Saturday (4 flights of 10mins each on 2 tank fills) without incident which has never happened before.

So Jon, there is someone listening to you, and I thank you for that.

Now off to sort another SC52 in a P-51 and an older OS70FS in a Stiletto.

• Like 4

Interesting that people have such different experiences with plugs. I standardised on Enya No.3s for all my “cooking” 2 strokes many years ago and haven’t had problems with them - other than a recalcitrant Super Tigre 90 which was cured by swapping to an OS F. 

I wonder if any of Jon’s observations on short life might be influenced by fuel choice?  I’ve used Southern Modelcraft 10% almost exclusively. 

8 hours ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

Interesting that people have such different experiences with plugs. I standardised on Enya No.3s for all my “cooking” 2 strokes many years ago and haven’t had problems with them - other than a recalcitrant Super Tigre 90 which was cured by swapping to an OS F. 

I wonder if any of Jon’s observations on short life might be influenced by fuel choice?  I’ve used Southern Modelcraft 10% almost exclusively. 

And there's me thinking this tread was about technical issues with Laser Engines...off down the slippery road of off topic. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Maurice Dyer said:

It's only a JP kit build Panic. How log is the wait on the 70  ?

There has been a run on panic's with laser engines in the last year or two. Seems to be the new thing to try and everything from the 70 to the 100 has been used apparently with good results. 

The 70 will obviously give the lightest combination but the least power, the 80 more weight but more power and so on. It all comes down to speed and how much of it you want. 

Personally i would not consider the panic a fast model and would go for lightness. I am sure a 70 would be fine. 

Lead time is unknown as we need to manufacture the crankcases and inlet cams. I also have to find the time to assemble them as i am still finishing off 160 and 200 flat twins. I then need to do 180's, then inline's, by the time that lot is done 300 flat twin crankcases should be ready and they will need attention so that machine can be cleared to then make crankcases for the 360v. We are also into silly season for repairs so they will start piling up before long... June? maybe? 

Andy, nice work on the bullet fixes. glad its working well for you and happy to be of service. 

Glow plugs. I have no scientific data, but i have never found enya 3 plugs to match the OS no8 for longevity and my enya 4 strokes all seem to run better using the OS F. At the end of the day though i have no skin in the 2 stroke game and the only firm recommendation i make is the OS F for Laser engines. Other plugs work, but if you use the same plug i test with, and the same fuel i test with, with the tank in the place i recommend, i can help you. If you use bob's special brand no1 plug i cant do much! Beyond Laser engines i will still recommend F's for 4 strokes and 8's for 2 strokes if only because the enya 3 is a pain in the neck when it comes to glow clip attachment. That fact alone condemns it to the bin if ever i find one. 

Fuel choice and especially tuning does impact plug life. If the engine is well tuned plugs last a good long time. The glow plugs in my sea fury are the same age as the model (9 years) and still working just fine. The 4 plugs in the OS 240 in my Acrowot XL are still bright and shiny after 3 years. In fact i cant remember the last time i changed a plug in any of my models ? 

Edited by Jon - Laser Engines

I’ve always used OS F plugs for 4 strokes of all origins but a second hand OS 20 FS came to me with an Enya No. 3 fitted and it’s performed well over many flights in my IC modified reduced sized Ohmen so I haven’t changed it. 

What confuses me is references to difficulties connecting glow sources to an Enya plug - I’ve used a wide variety of connectors and glowsticks over the years without noticing any problems. Perhaps the sadly missed SHM Cent-r-lok remote connectors might have been unsuitable but I’ve only tried using them on OS Fs. 

I certainly wouldn’t have any argument with Jon’s advice to use OS F plugs on any Laser!

Yea its remote glow systems that are the problem with the enya plugs. You can fit those little right angle boot things on them and with the forward facing plugs on the 4 strokes its very important they have a remote. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Never seen an Enya 4c, only 3's. 

Just did a google search and found them. Out of stock everywhere apparently and still with the funny top according to all the photos? Perhaps they have changed it? 

Had a look at a 4c plug I thought I had in store and recon it is not what it says on the "tin" N4 printed on plug.:classic_unsure:  OS f along side.

Glow plug.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jon

On the Laser70 carb is all the fuel metered by the main throttle asembly? i.e. does all the fuel go through thoses two small holes or does an amount bypass the main needle via the outer chamber and go down the spray bar to the idle needle?

I ask, because if all the fuel is metered by the main needle why isn't the idle mix also affected when I set the main needle?

Just curious

Gary

Laser70 Carb.jpg

On 12/04/2022 at 13:44, J D 8 said:

Had a look at a 4c plug I thought I had in store and recon it is not what it says on the "tin" N4 printed on plug.:classic_unsure:  OS f along side.

Glow plug.JPG

No that does not look like an Enya 4c plug, I have about 4 of them, they seem to be as good as the OS type F.

they look like this...

4c_plug.jpg