Powered by Laser, a gallery thread

Jon H

A bit of a cop out as I am meant to be electricfy it for its owner ….but the 62 was found in a box of give away/unwanted bits (Dual Ace in photo for scale!)

Plus the Nova had a OS LA 40 and a load of lead so why not pop the Laser in...Flies very nicely and will plod around on 20% throttle just hanging in the sky....handles windy weather as well.

nova dual ace.jpg

PS Would like to thank Jon for the great service with my 180 that was involved with meeting the ground and my 70 that needed a bit of TLC when I had problem on Tuesday and it was fixed on Wednesday - I took me longer to get the engine out and back in the model than it for Jon to fix it....wink

VQ FW 190 with a Laser 80 in it. Tried it inverted but could not get the tank height so rotated to the starboard side.

Bulkhead stayed put, but some holes needed to be cut and then made good. The rest of it went together without too much bother although the spinner launched itself on about the fourth start.

Needed to move the throttle servo and the port elevator snake seems to take restrictive route from the servo to the tail.

C of  G spot on and no additional lead required.

20200921_163740.jpg

Edited By Chris Walby on 21/09/2020 19:33:13

• 10 months later...

Don't fly ARTFs much except for trainers when instructing beginners, but I've just finished assembling this ARTF Acrowot with a Laser 70 in the nose. I have changed the clevises and used Z bends where the kit uses swing keepers and I've fitted heavier wheels to bring the cg slightly further forward but otherwise it's stock.

The weather is rubbish here but it should be ok on Wednesday when I hope to maiden the model.

Le Petit Dernier (3).JPG

Le Petit Dernier (4).JPG

Le Petit Dernier (5).JPG

Le Petit Dernier (6).JPG

I am sure you will enjoy the Acrowot and Laser 70 combination. I added a bit of nose lead to mine for a couple of flight and the next time the cowl needed to come off I removed it and have never looked back (C of G as recommended) as needs less corrective elevator when inverted (personal preference). 

I find with mine it will really slow up nicely for landing and does everything I want it to do and in the hands of one of the club instructors/very experienced pilot said it was very good combination (needing to prize the TX from his grasp post flight!).

All the best with the maiden David 

image.png.17ec4d1d7213e0d809f09f39c7adf505.png

Edited by Chris Walby

Maidened the ARTF Acrowot this afternoon. It flew well but I hadn't got the tick over low enough on the engine, a Laser 70, so though I made a good approach and got both wheels right down on our 10 metre wide tarmac runway, the landing was a bit fast and the model rolled into the stubble. There is a small hole in the covering on the underside of the wing. No big deal.

At least the undercarriage didn't rip out!

2 hours ago, David Davis said:

Maidened the ARTF Acrowot this afternoon. It flew well but I hadn't got the tick over low enough on the engine, a Laser 70, so though I made a good approach and got both wheels right down on our 10 metre wide tarmac runway, the landing was a bit fast and the model rolled into the stubble. There is a small hole in the covering on the underside of the wing. No big deal.

At least the undercarriage didn't rip out!

Good news David.

My very old kit built Acrowot flies on an ASP65FS and can be similarly tricky to slow down. I found a 12x6 worked well. Any more pitch than that and it would nicely track the slight downhill gradient of our strip rather than actually meet the ground!

Good news David and glad there was not too much damage.

Not sure if it will work for you, but I find that tick over is higher at the end of the flight than at the start (probably as I have not got the engine up to temperature before take off) so what I do is take off and fly about as normal. Then a minute or two before landing trim the throttle down a few clicks. (you can practice this at the first tune up of the day). because the model travelling through air and he tick over has increased I have not had one dead stick on me, but it will land and stop rolling on + if you need to go around its better than hitting the throttle cut!

The alternative is as Jon would suggest, give it a good thrashing and make sure its nice and hot pre take off ? 

Nothing special just a Wot4 mk3 powered by a Laser 80, other than I have always fancied flying off water so built it with that in mind. Used waterproof glue ?, all cables/rods pass through almost interference fit PTFE tubes. Wing seat area extended by 6mm all round to improve silicon gasket also used around fuel pipes and aileron pocket wire exits. Inside fuz with water based varnish as were the aileron servo pockets with the servos being waterproof. There is also a captive nut underneath behind the TE to take the rear float mount once I have built them. 

20210613_180958[1].jpg

20210613_181121[1].jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Few shots from my friday afternoon session. I dont have many photos of my sea fury despite its 8 years of service. Wanting at least some nice photos for posterity i employed clubmate Nick to do some pointing. The poor old Fury only had 2 flights last year and one was cut short when the spinner flew off damaging the prop. With various lockdown's and what not it didnt fly until friday so its only had 5 flights since late 2019! 

Lighting conditions were poor, but its not too bad and it was great to get it flying again. 

DSC04761.JPG

DSC04792.JPG

DSC04981.JPG

DSC05015.JPG

DSC05028.JPG

• Like 5

On 11/08/2021 at 21:44, Chris Walby said:

Good news David and glad there was not too much damage.

Not sure if it will work for you, but I find that tick over is higher at the end of the flight than at the start (probably as I have not got the engine up to temperature before take off) so what I do is take off and fly about as normal. Then a minute or two before landing trim the throttle down a few clicks. (you can practice this at the first tune up of the day). because the model travelling through air and he tick over has increased I have not had one dead stick on me, but it will land and stop rolling on + if you need to go around its better than hitting the throttle cut!

The alternative is as Jon would suggest, give it a good thrashing and make sure its nice and hot pre take off ? 

Chris, what I do is use flight phases/modes with different trim settings on each flight phase, with the Landing flight phase having a low throttle trim setting. Also can set the throws ,aileron differential, coupled aileron rudder for each flight phase, I prefer this than using dual rates. 

• Like 1

I don’t think I have posted my SLEC Chipmunk on this thread . I finished  it a year ago and it has had regular flights. Power is from a Laser 180 although a 155 would have been perfect in retrospect (tail weight was required), but the 180 was the engine I had spare at the time. 

B0420DDD-FE6F-45E0-A082-DF3C99D740FC.thumb.jpeg.6ab847c81f58c638924d42d2263d10b8.jpeg5F127D8E-DCF2-4EDF-8C10-0CC991147173.thumb.jpeg.530713a289a089abc38fc3361627fedb.jpeg

By the way for David’s problem with his Acrowot “ running on” when landing , I recommend setting up upwards flaperons which act as air brakes . I have done this successfully on both my Acrowots (small and large) with the flaperons operating on a slider on the TX. 

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Another addition is a BH Lysander my friend Nick has just put together. Laser 180 in the front turning a 19x6 3 blade prop. Flat out the engine does 5500rpm but the performance is perfect for the lysander and it looks great in the air. The only mod incoming is a more scale tail wheel but this combo really looks the part with the big prop and custom made spinner. 

DSC05832.JPG

DSC05887.JPG

DSC05902.JPG

• Like 6

Unfortunately my Big Guff which you may see on page 10 was destroyed when an unsupervised LiPo exploded on Valentine's Day 2021, or at least the fuselage and tailplane were burned. I rebuilt the fuselage and a club colleague built the tail surfaces for me. I did not have enough Red Solartex to recover the fuselage so opted for orange insted. Once it was built and covered someone gave me two metres of Red Oracover. You can't win can you?

Anyhow, here's a picture of the orange one on finals.

PS. The fire also destroyed the Laser 150 V twin powered WOT 4 XL too!

Gueret Fly-In Oct 2021 (5).jpg

• 6 months later...

FT 200 currently in a Eurobat so I can get used to operating a twin cylinder configuration.

image.thumb.png.bb096d113f2ddebd54a5f3fd5c69b801.png

Then it will go into a Balsa USA Cub when I find time (it will sound so much better than the Super Tigre G30!).

image.thumb.png.73385ccc435aac123857ec68c9517c27.png

Links to engine run earlier in the year and flight today (to say it was poor flying conditions would be an understatement!

Video of my Big Guff in flight, by my friend Frans Cooremans, edited from four flights I had with the Big Guff that afternoon which is why I am sometimes wearing a blue top and sometimes not! The Big Guff was probably the first model aeroplane specifically designed for radio control. The use of the Chopin piano piece is appropriate because he used to spend his summers near here. The local college is named after him. The model is powered by a Laser 62.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=218ZhH1wBDM

Interclub MP 4.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...