Powered by Laser, a gallery thread

Jon H

Well its nothing to look at and it has hundreds flights plus fond memories of getting me through my B test even if pilot on the sticks made it hard work!

Originally purchased as a cheap airframe (£70) for less than perfect British weather with electric set up on 4S5000 it I now leading my foray into the dark world of IC.

The actual install was easy from the Laser engine point of view only make difficult by the pants BH instructions and that I have never installed an IC engine (short of bits and bobs).20171226_130310.jpg

PS Yes the red is now pink and if there is any non standard decals its because the patches due to its "learning" pilot.

PPS Primed and spun over, it started with ease and warmed up with a couple of taxi tests, just needs club DI and noise test to get it in the air.

• 3 weeks later...

In the process of replacing petrol engine in my H9 Taylor Craft with 155 Laser. I bought the ‘plane off a club mate and it was powered (underpowered) by a Zenoah 20cc which was a bit on the noisy side. I then replaced that with a CRRC 26cc which I bought second hand, this provided the power but was, like the Zenoah, on the noisy side and was also very messy. So bit the bullet and decided on the 155. Installation photos also showing the location of the remote glow in the cabin!

50f284e8-bf79-446f-b869-d5debcd54d23.jpeg

6b5b2038-4537-4184-98d4-4e36361d11c6.jpeg

Posted by Ron Gray on 17/01/2018 20:24:38:

He was a bit worried about the location on the tank between his legs, which you’ll notice has been dropped quite a bit lower than the standard fitting but he still reckons it’s a bit too close to the Crown Jewels!

As long as he puts out his cigar before getting in he will be fine

• 4 weeks later...

Next re-engine task, a Seagull P40. This was powered by a DLE when I bounght it unflown. I did some work on it to finish it off and get it ready for flight but on test running the engine decided that I needed to do a lot more work to get it quieter. A couple of weeks ago I got a 250v off Jon, the intention being to replace the 160v in my Wots Wot XL but when I looked at the work that entailed decided to use it in the P40 instead. TBH I’m not sure if it will be underpowered or not, the P40’s AUW is 7.5 Kg so those of you with far more experience of Lasers will no doubt let me know (Jon?). Anyway the deed is now done:

3.jpeg

2.jpeg

1.jpeg

And using Vanessa to help me balance it - no extra weight needed!

5.jpeg

4.jpeg

It took a while to persuade the wife to allow me to use the garden room for this task, previously I had waited for her to go out!

In changing over from gas to glow I have managed to shed about 1Kg!

Hopefully get out at the end of the week for the maiden.

The only thing I can think of and have been playing around with is a deflector sitting in the chin but it’s not really in front of the cylinders to get an angle on it. If you look at the first shot you can see that the left pot is right against the front of the chin moulding. An alternative would be an inlet in the front of the moulding on top of the cowl, I could channel air down to the cylinders from there but would it be enough. As a last resort I could create 2 inlets either side of the cowl with shrouds or NASA ducts.

Just had a brainwave! I can create a double chin. The cowl protrudes about 25mm in front of the chin so if I cut slots underneath it and form a secondary chin cowl that will deflect the intake up through the slots onto the cylinders. I also need to close off the existing chin opening.

Rather than the double chin I think that a plate angled back from the bottom of the chin to the back of the cylinders will be at enough of an angle to deflect air up to the cylinders and over the top of the engine. Going to try it when I'm back home in a couple of days time.

I think a mix of the ideas presented will work. I would make a balsa baffle to close in the area of the cowl above the crankcase as you can then open up the intake on top of the nose and that will cool the 'top' of the engine. The cylinders hanging down can then be cooled by some sort of baffle plate closing in the chin and fitting the V of the cylinders. You can also use plastic spoons chopped up to make little intakes or blisters to camouflage the cylinder heads where they just poke through.

if its not too inconvenient though could we continue the discussion on the tech thread? just so we keep the place tidy

Posted by Ron Gray on 12/02/2018 16:42:05:

Fair point Jon, my mistake as this is a gallery for Laser powered 'planes and mine isn't even powered by one yet! When I've done some work on it I'll post it in the tech thread.

Its got one fitted so that's close enough