Does your club welcome multirotor flying?

Self explanatory. I'm curious to see if the number of clubs who do not allow multirotors are in a small minority. I'd include FPV multirotor flying in the term too. 

I've kept the answers simple but appreciate that there could be some complicated replies that don't fit so please do drop a post below. 

My own club welcomes multirotor flyers and most pilots do both fixed wing and rotary wing. The FPV multirotor flying takes place to one side of the main patch, away from the fixed wing flying activities. 

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 22/12/2017 14:02:44

Yes. You can fly over the main strip if you're on your own. If others are present ask permission to use the strip, the same restriction is applied to helicopters. Or use the dedicated heli training area whenever you want without restriction. If it flies, it's of interest to most of our Club members.

The only M/R flying we permit is among existing members who wish to experiment - very few in actual fact, and then mainly drone racing in an area safely away from other flying activities. One or two have proper camera equipped drones and they'll fly them when its quiet. We don't accept new M/R flyers per se.

Nothing particularly sinister in our decision, our club has always been primarily fixed wing in operation with a limited number of heli flyers coming and going over the years. If our members felt that we were missing out by not having more MR flyers, then we'd change our stance. There isn't the appetite to change things, so we don't.

We do not accept new multi rotor members as we are a fixed wing club. After two years in the club members are allowed to fly rotary wing aircraft. A number of our members do occasionally fly multi rotor and helicopters and we have a separate landing and take off area for them. We do not restrict fixed wing and rotary wing aircraft into certain slots but I personally prefer fixed wing flying when there are no rotary Wing aircraft operating.

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 22/12/2017 17:22:08

No rotary wing aircraft can't fly with fixed wing and if the site is busy then we allow the first 15 minutes of the hour. If its quiet then we're fairly relaxed as to when. Members can decide between themselves.

We don't allow any automated flight, return to home or FPV, as we share the site with full size.

We don't actively encourage them (same with helicopters) but are willing to accept MR pilots as long as they accept that there may be occasions where they will need to fit in with the majority fixed wing flying. There are no formal restrictions so I'm in a bit of doubt over which way to vote.

On a positive note, as we fly in controlled airspace, we negotiated permission for FPV a couple of years ago.

We hope that there may be some interest generated in our core activity of fixed wing flying from MR flyers.

Edited By Martin Harris on 22/12/2017 18:06:59

Most of the MR flyers at Ashbourne are long established members who fly fixed wing and (some of them) helicopters as well. We had one person join to fly MR and he's now flying fixed wing - we persuaded him He's very enthusiastic - there were just the two of us flying on Wednesday afternoon.

Geoff

Generally speaking, rotary wing and fixed wing aircraft on the same patch do not mix well together. . It CAN work when there are only one or two rotary wing pilots, and common sense and give-and-take comes to the fore.

However, it's a "numbers game" and -- as has been witnessed in other clubs -- if there are too many of each at the site at the same time, a potential conflict arises and nobody goes home happy.

In the interest of keeping peace and harmony -- and as our club is 99% fixed wing -- we do not encourage Multi Rotor models.

B.C.