Greg’s Grumpy Tigercub

Greg Cavey

ed8bf427-bc7a-4d69-b6f0-0d3419af9c1d.jpegJan. 1 and my Grumpy Tigercub is all done. What is taking the 2018 mass builders so long? Just Kidding. I actually built my Tigercub a couple years ago and wanted to share pictures and my experince here to maybe inspire those thinking of building one. I’ve only been flying for 4 years here in the United States and the Tigercub was my first plan built plane after building a Carl Goldberg Tiger 2 kit and restoring a couple planes given to me. The Tigercub was ummm “challenging” as a first plan built project but in the end I have a great flying and awesome looking airplane.since I’m in USA my Tigercub has two Magnum 0.15 XLS engines and a Great Planes GPMQ2130 canopy but is otherwise built per instructions. Sorry Peter for copying your color scheme since I’m not too original that way. Actually it isn’t quite a copy as you will notice the top of the airlerons are black. Let’s just say it’s a good idea to double check the orientation of parts before covering.... In my small flying group we have an expert pilot that often gets the duty of maiden flights in case something is amiss and so I / we get to watch the model fly first without the stress. The Tigercub was beautiful in flight and loved the sound of the twin engines buzzing in unison. He loved the way it flys and said it’s a “hoot” to fly as he put it through its aerobatic exercises. Flew great for him but had an engine quit when I took it up. Everything was fine until Ingave it too much elevator and rudder near touch down and tip stalled it and did a cartwheel on the runway. I was relieved to find only minor damage attesting to the strength of Peter’s design. Nothing wrong with the model it just showed my lack of experience with a tapered wing plane. In summary I think anyone contemplating building this plane should go for it, you won’t be disappointed. I also built Peter’s Oodallaly since it shares the wing with the Tigercub and I cut two sets of wing parts at once. It is also a great flying plane, very fast and aerobatic. I am planning to build his Cap20L for the 2018 mass build so stay tuned. Best wishes in 2018 - Greg ae9c1757-3744-4aa6-8c9b-9be88a4b154d.jpeg41b2c424-2eee-4dc1-8d61-e5b232273bcb.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Rob,

Yes I repaired the GTC. The way it cartwheeled I was afraid to see the damage. Much to my surprise the only harm was one of the nacelles was loosened and a small tear in the covering. Totally my fault on the landing using too much rudder and elevator. I love the plane though. It flies well and responded to commands as expected. It gets a lot of looks amount all the ARF electric guys.

Looking forward to the Cap20L and the Balletina after that.

Take care,

Greg

Hi Greg,

Glad to hear to repaired the GTC. I started mine over a year ago and for many reasons the build came to a grinding halt, but with the 2018 MB underway I am back at it, hoping to complete it before spring. I think I will keep a similar finish/covering design as Peter's too.

Rob