Paul's CAP 20 L build 2018 MB

Paul C.

• 2 months later...

Hi all, slow progress I am afraid since we returned for our hols. I did warn you that I am not a great fan of covering.

Prior to covering the wings I gave the whole structure a good going over with tack cloth to remove all traces of balsa dust followed by plenty of balsaloc along trailing edge, leading edge and wing tips. These are the areas where I seem to have problems with the film coming unstuck, fingers crossed it stays stuck this time.

Quick assembly photo to show the colour scheme that I found on the internet.

20180322_155039.jpg

Another pet hate is fitting the canopy, for some reason I always manage to damage the canopy either in the workshop or transporting the model not to mention the odd heavy arrival. When I ordered the canopy I actually ordered 2 so that I have a spare, so a removable canopy is required no glue just a row of small screws and a piece of plastic strip to spread the load. Took me a while to get the front of the canopy a good nice fit to the fus but got there in the end.

20180401_164443.jpg

Final assembly to check that everything fits and bind the receiver to check that everything is waggling in the right direction. Check that all movements are as per Peter’s recommendations and everything is centred on the trims then re bind. I elected not to fit the spats as I fly from grass strips which can get quite long from time to time.

Time to check the C of G , as I used an ASP 52 FS up front I moved the rudder and elevator servos further back to compensate. Checked the C of G using my Vanessa rig and found that I was about a quarter of an inch tail heavy, two small pieces of lead in the front and it balanced bang on. Noted on Peters write up that the C of G on the plan is as far back as you should go, if I had fitted the spats it might have balanced bang on without the need for additional lead.

20180401_152936.jpg

Looking at the weather forcast it might be May before I manage to get her into the air but at least I can set up the throttle in the garden between downpours.

Really enjoyed building this model, as I have said before I am no scale modeller but I do like the model I build to bear some semblance of the real one. Let you know how the maiden goes.

Paul.

Congrats for the great job, Paul. smiley

I don't really understand why you don't like the 'covering' job. You managed to do a great deco scheme, even not the easiest one if you don't like that part of the build.

Seeing those tiny trim lines perfectly applied at such a length, you must be a genuine expert now. yes cocktail cocktail

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris , although covering is not my favourite part of the build I think that I have found the secret of applying the film covering. Tack cloth, plenty of balsa lock and a little patience, my wife tells me I have lots of patience as I have not used any up to yet wink 2. Just need the weather to improve now so we can get her in the air yes

Paul.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while but maidened today, smile d the weather and long grass had caused the delay. Range check, set low throttle and engine cut, no more excuses so opened the throttle and away she went. The ASP52 as loads of power so she was quickly airborne, few clicks of up trim and a little aileron trim was all that was required. Half throttle was all that was required for normal flight so plenty in reserve for when I want to throw her about more. Ailerons are nice and responsive at recommended settings I have reduced throws set on the rates if required same for the elevators.

Landing was uneventfully but she does not loose speed easily so I nearly overshot the first landing, second landing was a lot better, I reduced the low throttle setting further and lost more speed on the landing circuit.

All in all my new favourite model fits in the car fully assembled, handles a dream, looking forward to exploring the performance. This model will do a lot more than I can so this should be fun, another winner from Peter Miller yes

Paul

Thanks Chris,

Always a relief to get the first flight completed. Not sure what will be next on the building board , hope that we will have some good flying weather now that summer is approaching smile d. I have long fancied a Loaded dice ii but it's a bit too big for my workshop and car, but if I reduced the plan to 80 % then that would be about a 40 size. I like the older f3 A style models and they do fly well so this is looking promising wink. I am fast running out of room in my workshop need to make space , the summer flying season my solve that problem wink 2.

Paul.