Paul's CAP 20 L build 2018 MB

Paul C.

Hi Caveman that is one very nice CAP and a really good colour scheme, haven’t decided on mine yet other than it will be red, white and blue [because that’s what I have in my stock]. Drilled the blocks for the U/C today and it does look that mine are in a similar position to your so fingers crossed it should be OK.

Should be starting covering in a day or so, not looking forward to the compound curves on the cowl. I am trying some HobbyKing film this time, got a bit fed up with Solarfilm wrinkling and coming unstuck. Covering for me either goes well or turns into a bit of a shambles but if you don’t keep trying you will never learn.

Paul.

Solarfilm used to have a video on their website but I cannot find it today, however the latest issue of RCME has an article on them and mentions that you can obtain a DVD for the cost of 4 stamps. Well worth viewing if it's the old video done by Derek Hardman himself. Main advice he gave was not to use a hot air gun which will always overheat the film and cause it to wrinkle later due to that overheating, so he shows how to use just a covering iron and gradually increase temperature. Taking the hour or so to watch the video will be well worth while.

thanks for the info on the DVD will see if I can track a copy down, my LMS does not stock Supershrink but it sounds like I need to give it a try. I think I will start with the cowl to see how the HobyKing film performs if its no good then I will order some on line.

Cheers, Paul.

My model is covered in HobbyKing film, as are all my scratchbuilt models. I've never used Solarfilm, or anything else for that matter, as the HK stuff is half the price!!

In this case the coloured flashes are adhesive backed commercial sign makers plastic film, given to me by a club member, having been rescued by him just as it was about to be dumped in a skip!

I attach the film at 100 deg C with no sock, and then shrink it tight at around 140/150 deg C with sock. It goes round curves etc. quite well.

The lettering and logo are inkjet printed onto clear decal paper.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on.

Cheers GDB

Individual irons may not heat to the temperature shown on the dial!   The Solarfilm video shows how to use a tiny sample of material to get the iron to the correct temperature, this would surely work with any make of film. It's also shown on the Solarfilm wrapper I think.

The HobbyKing film seems very good and at least as good as original Solarfilm, perhaps similar to Supershrink.  We would all like to buy British but who can pay double for the privilege?  Anyway who knows where any of it is made.

Edited By kc on 24/01/2018 08:52:43

Edited By kc on 24/01/2018 09:01:46

To be perfectly honest I purchased the HK film based on price as it's a lot less expensive, at some point I will definatly give supershrink a try , might even be on this model it is crew up the HK covering.

Watched the solarfilm on youtube last night lots of good info and tips, had a look on the solarfilm website but could not find any reference to their DVD presume it's the same as on YouTube.

Kc, just checked you are correct it is on the solarfilm wrapper yes

I still swear by regular Solarfilm.

Get the heat on the iron set up as per the instructions. Tack & seal as per instructions.

Compound curves - same iron temperature.

Shrink after attaching = same iron temperature.

No wrinkles. Works for me - your mileage may vary.

Hi Greg thanks for the info not sure I will go with a full scale scheme will probable just try to follow the theme.

Peter is correct there are definatly some none 20L photos in there someone must have got the titles mixed . When I googled CAP 20 L looking for photographs I got a real mixed bag of results, these search engines are not all they are cracked up to be.

Paul.

Thanks guys, not much done today no rain, no wind, reasonable temperature so went flying 😎👍. I did take the opportunity take my new ASP 52 FS down the field and run a few tanks through, running nice and even so ready to be installed.

Holidays are approaching we are heading to the sun at the weekend 😎👍🍻 you can get some really good deals this time of year another benift of retirement 👍.

Paul.

Last post for 4 weeks or so heading off for some sun and warmer weather. Covering seems to take a lot longer than building lumps of balsa, but taking my time to get the best result I can wink. Should be able to log onto the forum from time to time just to see how others are progressing , will raise a glass to you all when we have arrived this weekend beerbeercocktailcocktail or two wink

Paul.