Greg's Cap 20L 2018 Mass Build

Greg Cavey

Gents,

I've been slowly getting my kit together and surely wont be as fast as Paul getting it together. The few plan built planes I have made in the past were done as parts, fuse first, then wings, then hardware, etc. for this build I wanted to try and assemble all the pieces-parts for the build before starting the build. I read where this helps to not stall out if you are missing something and have to wait for a shipment or head off to a LHS. I'd be curious to here your thoughts on build as you go vs.make a complete kit then start. Not sure yet on the IC power plant and if I will install bell cranks or aileron servos. Here is what I have so far...

img_4633.jpg

Thinking ahead for all the stuff I need my mind goes to the color scheme I might go with. The pic that Caveman posted was the first I have seen of full scale plane Peter built the Cap 20L model after. Here is the only one I could find so I've been thinking of these colors.

4196129.jpg

"I'd be curious to here your thoughts on build as you go vs.make a complete kit then start. "

Usually:

Buy all the necessary materials. Kit up for tailplane, build tailplane, Kit up for wing, build wing. Kit up for fuselage, build fuselage.

Oh, and for wings, two servos best, in general. Having said that I've just done a torque rod install, similar amounts of work in both setups, both quite positive action, trickier to set up differential on torque rods but still possible. I've done bellcranks in the past but they make absolutely no sense with the current price of servos - more work than fitting two servos and no benefit.

Hi Greg, when I built my model, a year or so ago, I trawled the internet and found a reasonable amount of info about the CAP 20 L including the photo of IZAB. I even found the Viterbo club website and logo, which I reproduced on the fin of my model.

However, I've done a search today and can't find much at all, not even a photo of IZAB with spats, and I've definately seen one in the past.

So I don;t know where they've all gone. But, the colour scheme you've found look good to me, and I'm looking forward to seeing your finished model.

Cheers GDB

PS I make a kit of parts before starting to build, and for a model like this with the inset ailerons towards the wing tips, separate servos in each wing is my preferred method. Even if you don't have spare TX channels a Y lead operates them.

Thanks for the feedback gentleman. Someone noted that with the cost of servos it makes sense to put them in the wings. In my Oodallaly I put Hitec HS-225s in the wing. Any other suggestion for this size plane? I run a FrSky radio system so I can program any sort of differential or mix I want but I usually keep it simple and am learning to setup the plane correctly and adjust for any coupling during flight with sticks.

Caveman,

Your Cap20L is sweet. Especially the canopy and cockpit. I need to learn how to detail those areas. Peter’s recent article on this is quite timely. I’m relatively new, as you can tell, but how does one scale one of these plans by 12%? Can I simply make a copy 12% larger and proceed as usual?

Thanks - Greg

Hi Greg, simply took the published plan to Staples and ask them to copy it 12% larger! In all they made 4 copies and it cost me about £12.

Unfortunately with the demise of Staples in the UK that's no longer a possibility. However, there are other print companies who can do this, it's just a case of finding one in your locality.

Alternatively you can scan the original drawing in parts, e.g. ribs and formers, and print at 112%, but that takes a lot longer and is potenetially more error prone.

GDB

• 2 months later...

Greetings Gents,

Finally getting on with my Cap20L build after moving and partly duplicating my build area at my fiancé's house. She was kind enough to let me setup shop on her very large dining table so I have a dedicated wing board, fuse board, cutting mat for simple trimming, and chairs around where I stack kit boxes and supplies. I also have a cutting / sanding area in the basement equipped with good lighting, a scroll saw, and an air cleaner built via http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/air_cleaner.cfm My sensitivity to balsa dust has gotten so bad I pretty much have to wear a respirator (not just a dust mask shown) when I do any building or I get super congested and sick feeling. The air cleaner eliminates the dust after working in either area pretty quick so I don't have to wear the respirator for some of the assembly. More pic to come.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

A very neat build coming along their Greg.

​I like to make a kit of all the main parts and keep all the long parts in an old it box and the bits and bobs separately. Smaller items like clevises, horns, links etc I normally leave until I need them because I have stocks from bought job lots. It can be very useful to have parts to hand to do dry runs and trial fits before getting too committed.

​Unfortunate about the allergy but you seem to have it well covered.

All I can say about your fiancé is - marry her quick!

Levanter

Edited By Levanter on 21/04/2018 06:46:36

Looking good Greg yes allergy to balsa dust in our hobby must be a real pain angry 2. Have you decided on what engine you are going to use yet ? I managed to squeeze my ASP in by just extending the cowl a little anything longer would have needed f1 to be moved. Maidened mine today yes it goes really well its a great model to fly.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the comments. You maidening your Cap20L inspires me to get mine done. I followed Peter’s suggestion on size and got a OS 32F that is barely used. Took some time to find one since they are out of production. I have an ASP 0.32 in my Oodalally and it idles and runs reliably but wouldn’t say it’s real powerful. I read where the OS 0.32 has more power and since I was still building I went for it. $60US. Right wing is mostly done now and same for fuse. Going to be getting after it this weekend!! I am planning on covering in the scale colors like at the start of my post. Don’t have silver covering but have the others. Need to order a muffler extension but have everything else. Glad to hear yours flies well. I can’t wait to get mine airborne. Did fly a Sig Somethin Extra this morning. Kinda cold and breezy but still fun. Any chance you can get some video of your Cap20L in flight?

Take care and thanks,

Greg

Hi Greg,

Good to hear you are all fired up on the build , I am not familiar with the os 32f but if it's recommended by Peter then you will be ok. My preference is for 4 strokes just something about the sound I think, the down side is that you need a larger 4 stroke to do the job and this can cause problems getting them to fit. Worked out ok with the CAP as I could invert the engine without too much sticking out, have two inverted engine set ups and have never had any starting or running issues.

Not sure about the flying video my last attempt resulted in a lot of sky, trees, grass but very little model to be seen.

Paul.

• 1 month later...

Dear Greg

I flown several hours with IZAB, it ranked 13° in free program at AWAC in Czech Republic (maybe 1997 or 98) versus cap222, extra200, yak55 etc so I consider it a "wooden made hero" ... for this I loved it and I really appreciate your job, I hope to find others pictures for you.

Thanks for your precius job

Emilio Gentile W