Rob's Grumpy Tigercub build

Rob Ashley

Having rebuilt my present house over a number of years, I know where you are coming from Rob, you think you will never get to the end of it. That is why my next house is new and nothing to do, apart from just.....! I hope this means more time for aero modelling and other hobbies, we will see.

I am glad you have got your priorities right. yes

True Piers - it's like the Severn Bridge, as soon as you finish painting it you need to start over again.

Did manage a flying session on Sat in glorious sunshine - would have been a good say for initial test flights on the GTC. Not ready just yet but not long now though.

Finally got around to the undercarriage. Like a lemon I drilled vertically through the 1/4 ply for 2 inches to receive the UC legs instead of making a slot and making life much easier - hey ho I'm still pleased I managed that accuracy. Legs are shaped with aerofoil section over them and ready for painting. Another job off the list.

• 2 weeks later...

Shed extension finally finished and some time to work on the GTC - managed some progress.

img_20180429_154204.jpg

I soldered the push rods for the ailerons and connected them.

img_20180429_154234.jpg

I need to remove just a little more material from the slots to make them completely bind free, but they are almost there. I then spent a couple of hours working out how to add a flapperon mix on my Futaba 14 SG - I didn't find it that easy to understand especially after realising I had changed to another model - doh....Anyway with that sorted I then connected the elevators and rudder, so all control surfaces now move correctly.

img_20180429_153456.jpg

I have to admit watching all the surfaces move for the first time was quite pleasing - so motivated further I did some more work.

I finally got around to making the undercarriage and completing the battery hatches for the nacelles.

img_20180429_154113.jpg

It took a while to remove the bit that were originally for IC and then enclose the whole thing. I have been dreading that job for a while, but eventually......

img_20180429_154119.jpg

The slot is for a canopy latch so that I can remove the hatches to replace the batteries easily at the field. Oh yeah - please ignore my pencil scrawls on the wood - I need to sand that off...

img_20180429_154238.jpg

I then decided to screw the rear hatch of the nacelle down instead of gluing. Experience has taught me that I'm bound to need access at some stage so I spent a while gluing some small blocks to accept the countersunk screws -just in case I need to get in there in the future.

img_20180429_154417.jpgThat done a little bit of shaping on the front of the nacelles - I'm still not quite happy with the way they blend into the wing so a little more to do here.

img_20180429_154410.jpg

I need to add a scoop on the top of each to get some air in and over the ESC - I have made an exhaust at the rear of the underside of the nacelle on each side.

Alas it was all going so well so I decided to drop a screwdriver onto the wing and put a hole in the upper surface. Thankfully it didn't smash but was repairable with cyano.

img_20180429_154400.jpg

img_20180429_154406.jpg

I guess that will teach me to get too confident.

However, she stands on her own 2 feet for the first time... so progress has been made. Not long to go now.

img_20180429_160237.jpg

img_20180429_153429.jpg

The jobs list is definitely getting smaller.

Interestingly, I liked the shape of the plane when I first saw Peter's plan and article, but I like it more now she has taken shape, I suppose it has grown on me or maybe it just getting over some of the hurdles has made the journey more interesting. Who knows... At 68in span she is a little bigger than the original but a nice size to handle and it is time for some CG checks to determine the exact spots for the flight batteries so I can finish the battery boxes and then determine if I need a counterbalance receiver battery in the nose....

It does Peter... It is another cracker from you and despite being miles behind shedule I'm really looking forward to it getting airborne.

Peter, when you covered your original did you finish the nacelles completely in yellow? I'm going for a blue under the wings and tail with yellow on top with the saw tooth effect mirrored on upper and lower le...

• 3 weeks later...

Right then, after some sanding, more sanding and a little more sanding she is ready for covering. Not much to report only having completed the horizontal stabiliser but here it is:

img_20180515_203259.jpg

I think the picture is really for my motivation, but it now feels more like the home stretch and the jobs list is definitely getting smaller..

• 2 months later...

I started covering with Easycoat but the yellow was just too transparent and I wanted something a little more opaque. So after completing the tail in Easy coat I switched to Oracover. More expensive but it seems to work quite well and doesn't come apart like Easycoat - such as leaving colour stains on the wood.