Messing about with Mercos'

jeff2wings

So over the last couple of years I have been buying the odd Merco or nine ! And this is my most recent purchase .

img_20180124_211956.jpg

as you can see it's a mid 70's 49 marine engine with the plastic bodied carb of dubious reputation,it is in good condition just needs a strip&clean and converting to aero spec,I had a propdriver to hand so just need to make a finned jacket .

1481.jpg

found a large lump of alli and made a much smaller one

imga0119.jpg

and there you go,just needs a clean and new bearings .

img_20171226_200954.jpg

future projects

img_20171217_124958.jpg

What was the thinking behind the twin plugs? My first glow motor of any size was an old Merco 35 that had been well abused by its previous owner. Merco had a factory in Walthamstow, NE London back in the early 80s and they fixed the motor up for me by stripping the engine and giving the liner a hone while I waited. No charge either - just a nice chap running the place on his own IIRC who wanted to help me out.

I passed my A Cerificate with a Merco 35 in a Telemaster 66 so I've always had a soft spot for them. I had a Merco 61 in a Senior Telemaster which I restored from a basket case. I liked the metal carburettors.

I had another Merco 35 in a Super 60. It was alright at my club's flying field where we had a well-mown patch and a tarmac runway but at the Cocklebarrow vintage event it struggled to get the Super 60 into the air due to the less than billiard table-smooth patch! The lads gave me a cheer once it eventually struggled into the air! Bizzarely enough it was quite fast in flight. I replaced the Merco with an OS fourstroke.

I don't think I've got any Mercos anymore. Won't go out of my way to buy another.

tele 66.jpg

senior telemaster merco 61 up.jpg

super 60 merco 35 up.jpg

Edited By David Davis on 28/01/2018 06:02:51

Ever heard of Loctite Percy ? wink The idea for the twin plugs was to improve combustion efficiency with a faster flame front ,this twin plug ignition was used by race car and aero engine makers pre-war i.e Wright Cyclone R 1820,however I don't think it will have much effect on an engine of this size and Peter Chinn did comment at the time of it's introduction ,it was more to do with fashion as other makers were using them.As a point of interest Saito use twin plug heads on their large multi-cylinder glow engines.

Hello, Percy. Yes, until the schnuerle ported motors came along the .61 was the top motor. As you say, they could certainly swing a large prop. I had a twin plug, fitted with Kavan carb, installed in a vintage Mercury IV. To achieve high static thrust for what was a very slow flying aircraft I propped it with a Punctillo 18x4 propellor. At tick over you could virtually count the blades.

I had a .35 fitted in a super 60. Nice enough motor, but gutless and very thirsty.

Shortly after I started flying RC (using diesel engines) I wanted a bigger motor for my next model but was recently married with a new son so cash was tight. My friend Paul, who was a bit of a wheeler dealer said I know where there is a cheap Merco .35 for sale are you interested, naturally I said yes dependent on price. Next Sunday he turned up at the field with a really grubby Merco .35. How much? I asked - thirty bob (£1.50) said Paul, for that money I could not refuse. I used that motor regularly for two years or so before I got an HP40. Shortly after I started using the HP Paul came up to me and said "Do you want to sell the Merco?" "How much says "I - "Thirty bob" says Paul! - that's what I call economy modelling!

In the mid 60s my old boss , strangely, we worked for Rolls-Royce ,( Bristol Siddley then ) but we did not make Mercos ( previous reference them being the RRof engines ) , he used the Mercos for lots of "research" into flame front speed , by measuring the time it took for the flame to go between the two plugs, ( on a twin head ) He converted many to ignition units of which I believe some of the old timers still use (SAM types )

The Military also used Merco 61s and Puntillio in Hinckley sold surplus new 61s at a very reasonable price !

I got at least 5, now all well used ,

Look up the early American Nats results and you will see that the engine of choice was the Merco !!

How times have changed !

The Army used to have a team called the "MATS(A) team that flew Merco .61 powered models as targets on range days. Everything from small arms to main armament was usually fired at them. They were given a transit (ish) vehicle and filled it with engines (no exhausts), 13x6 blue plastic props, hundreds of idle bar glow plugs, VERY heavy models with a parachute built in to the cockpit, Skyleader radio gear (nice push/pull servos), fuel (straight + petrol mix!), plus all the other gubbins to support them. There were several teams. They travelled the World!. Even flying from ships when we had a navy. How do I know all this? I used to organise range days in BAOR many moons ago, and as a keen modeller the swaps and bartering that could be done would make your eyes water!.

I have a soft spot for the Merco engines. I acquired a box of Merco parts new and used with a few complete engines mixed in at an auction some years back. I built a few really nice engines from that lot and until quite recently still had some bits left. 

Last year I was given a Merco 49 that has been mullered at some time and the crankcase is ruined and has big gouge marks on cylinder base. I'm looking for a decent 49 case if anyone has one going cheap please PM me

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by SIMON CRAGG on 30/01/2018 01:40:00:

The Army used to have a team called the "MATS(A) team that flew Merco .61 powered models as targets on range days. Everything from small arms to main armament was usually fired at them. They were given a transit (ish) vehicle and filled it with engines (no exhausts), 13x6 blue plastic props, hundreds of idle bar glow plugs, VERY heavy models with a parachute built in to the cockpit, Skyleader radio gear (nice push/pull servos), fuel (straight + petrol mix!), plus all the other gubbins to support them. There were several teams. They travelled the World!. Even flying from ships when we had a navy. How do I know all this? I used to organise range days in BAOR many moons ago, and as a keen modeller the swaps and bartering that could be done would make your eyes water!.

I actually had two brand new MATS, and a handful of merco 61s . Mate and myself used to fly in Fallingbostel, and we had an expedition to the MATS team in Dortmund one day, A contribution was made to their "tea" fund and we were allowed access into the container unsupervised

I actually used the skyleader servos for years ( I had so many of them, and the engine mounts and props , something like 20 spinners even a couple of receivers, but they were 37.5 mhz so no use) , I still find the odd servo in the garage , which always go on Ebay . I had 4 mercos , so did my mate . The planes flew well I even had undercarriage fitted and a third servo working a bodged rudder. I actually threw them 10 years ago (I had them for about 20 years before ) but the damp in the old garage got under the veneer on the wings and it all lifted,

after my demob I built a RCMW solo , a great trainer which I flew many years and eventually sold to a chap at RAF Lyneham where my Daughter and her then husband were serving

I have been trying all day to find any photos of these MATS(A) but rarer than rocking horse poop!

• 1 month later...