Messing about with Mercos'

jeff2wings

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, 2.4g Shaun said:

A question for all Merco  aficionado's.

What are the dimensions of the P & R  silencer that's suitable  for a Merco 61 , especially where it meets the engine. I believe the one I have is for the 49. 

Cheers in advance. 

I think you will find that the 49 and 61 crankcases are the same extenally so your P&R silencer should fit ok. Seal the join by applying some epoxy to the joint then fit and tighten the strap and allow to set. When you need to remove it just undo strap and give silencer a sharp tap. Jeffwings2 is the Merco officianado and will know for sure.

Funny things Mercos. I passed my A Certificate on a Telemaster 66 powered by a Merco 35 which I proceeded to wear out so I've always had a soft spot for them! I also had a 61 in a Senior Telemaster. I find myself thinking of bidding on a Merco 61 on eBay but wiser counsel prevails. What would I use it for when I have so many superb later engines just waiting to be installed in a model?

ED is quite correct about case size ,presumably you have the later 'heavy ' case version, when the Mk III came out Merco introduced the peak power silencer and later forest engineering the strapon torpedo type

20231108_132721.thumb.jpg.9e4add88565b70a8dfe15d30e3301e08.jpg

Mk I/II Type and Mk III on peak power 20231108_132744.thumb.jpg.3aaefb431886d4a618364f4deb038f09.jpg

R to L later forest engineering type, standard P&R and Irvine 46/53 silencer that will fit if you drill out holes 

The guy it came from used to repair the Skyleader target drones after they were riddled with bullet holes.  20 and still flyable was the record apparently. On the shooting range they patched them up with gaffa tape until no longer flyable. The Merco's were bought by the box load direct. 

I have a silencer that looks  like a P&R (but doesn't say P&R on it) and  fits, but the inlet to it looks a little small for a 61;  more for a 49 sized motor possibly. I appreciate the 61 used the same sized casting. 

I do like the stubby black canister ones that were available for the 61.

Shaun. 

Fortunately noise isn't that much of a problem at our site. The plan is,  I'm restoring a Skyleader target drone. Will fly it a bit then probably let it hang at Buckminster on display. As mentioned above, the original army drones didn't have silencers on their Merco's so whatever I use will be taken off when it's displayed. 

Edited by 2.4g Shaun
Typo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 2.4g Shaun said:

Fortunately noise isn't that much of a problem at our site.

Just to clarify my statement above. Obviously we all have to use silencers and screaming  under propped,high nitro, 2 stroke set ups wouldn't be allowed if not adequately quietened down but any standard silencer is adequate at the field. 

I understand this Merco .61 to be a Black Streak?  Is so, is there any published information on the engine?  I'm particularly interested in the carb adjustments.  I mounted this engine on and airplane and had fits trying to set a good idle.  On a lark I moved that lever all the way back and presto!  It has the nicest smooth idle I have ever seen.  Top end is good also, swinging a 12-8 with no problem.

IMG_E6219.thumb.JPG.dcb85d32bc523684e38795215588ac36.JPG