Paint masking Advice

Flyer

I use Tamiya masking tape, very good. It works well, low tack, for easy removal. The tape edges are very straight, & importantly, for painting, free from any undulations, so creating a good paint seal.

I use it when building model boats where the straight lines required are often quite difficult to achieve. This tape does the job.

Failing that buy a proprietary make of masking tape, rather than two rolls of the pound stuff, Again a noticeable difference.

Posted by Flyer on 01/02/2018 15:25:21:

Just about to sort out what I need to spray up the Mig 29. I remember seeing somewhere that some are using a foam based tape.

Would this be the sort of thing ?

**LINK**

Edited By Flyer on 01/02/2018 15:27:04

That is the one for a soft edge . I used it on a yellow aircraft spitfire and it gave a good effect. It was very expensive at a local car paint factors but its well affordable on the adds you have found. A similar effect can be achieved with ordinary masking tape with the edge lifted but the foam stuff is easier.

If you want a sharp edge then Fine line tape is best as you can easily mask tight turns where ordinary masking tape can be difficult on sharp bends .

I played about with soft edges using foam tape and even rolled blu-tac! The results were OK, but then I worked out how much it would cost to do a large model in camo. Holy crap! You need miles of the stuff. I only do hard edges now, and use 3M Vinyl tape. Lovely and bendy, and a tiny fraction of the price of soft edged stuff.

After agonising over how to go about the camo scheme on my BT Spit and discovering that airbrushing camo free hand is a lot more difficult than the experts will have you believe, I went for a masked hard edge which for a non-competitive sport model is just fine. I found that Tamiya 3mm tape was good and 3M 1/8" vinyl tape (blue) was equally effective and might have even been a bit better at forming tight corners.

1517560614594.jpg

Edited By Cuban8 on 02/02/2018 08:41:27

1. Good masking tape (I've tried lots) - Tamiya is very good, as already suggested, and I also recommend Frog tape - comes in two different degrees of tackiness. I use the yellow one, low tack, buy it at B&Q.

2. A fairly good soft-edge effect can be had using torn (not cut) newspaper: it's fairly crude, soft stuff (red-top tabloids are best!), cheap, easy to do...

rgds Tony