Weston Capiche 50cc Build

I'm hoping to get 3 models and a quad in there!

Wings and wing tube fit nicely into a large HobbyKing wing bag and the tailplanes fit into a small one. The only issue is that the tailplane control arms are a bit "sticky - outy" due to the closed loop needing the threaded rod to stick out on both sides of both tailplane halves. That's something I'm going to have to be careful with during transport and storage.

You're on your own with wife training. Mine's still in the early training phase - we've only been together for 38 years. Still work in progress.

Well she flies and she flies VERY well.

Very precise controls with very little coupling between any of the controls. CoG is just how I like it - almost hands off inverted, with just a little pressure you remind me which way up it is.

I think this will very quickly become my favourite model.

Any one with a 50cc engine or equivalent electric setup (Adrian) looking for a good airframe to put it it - do not overlook this model. You will not be disappointed if you get yourself one of these. Make sure that you measure your car though - it's a long fuselage for a 50cc model.

I had a bit of trouble with the AGM55 engine for a short while. I flooded it (my fault) using choke for the second flight. Had to take the cowl off and remove the plug, which resulted in a couple of teaspoons of fuel flooding out. No problems after that. It's had about 6 or 7 twelve minute flights and engine is getting better with each flight. Charging batteries up now and having another go tomorrow.

Oh, one of the undercarriage to fuselage trims came unstuck and slid down towards the wheel. Just wants re-gluing. Looks like I didn't glue it properly.

Well done, Gary. Glad all went well and no doubt a big relief when it all comes together. laughI use silicone sealant (clear) for the U/C trims and it seems to hold them quite well, but time will tell. As to my next 50cc electric conversion, I am not far off taking the plunge. I feel another build blog coming on ....... dont know

• 4 years later...
1 hour ago, Engine Doctor said:

Hi Gary . You are correct in assuming that Weston heat treat all their ali exhausts . Alan will advise best action,  just bending it could  cause a stress area and subsequent cracking. 

It did fracture after a few flight and has subsequently had a new header fitted and been OK since.

• 1 year later...

Hi Gary. I just revisited your build. I don't know if you can remember if it would be suitable for an electric conversion? The other thing I am a bit concerned about is the faff of also cabling the elevators as doing the rudder is pain enough. I guess there is no facility to put elevator servos in the tail section. If not I think the mods required might not be worth it. I am not worried about weight distribution as that can be resolved with lipo positioning. Did you have her for very long? I am a great admirer of the Capiche and I had the old 140 size and electrified it, but I must say it wasn't very successful. It flew very we'll on on a long gone OS60FX. I am all electric now. 

Hi Adrian.

I've sold the Capiche and most of my other large models, but I would say that she was my favourite model of all time.
I would say that it would be ideal for a large electric model as it's quite a light airframe for it's size. Don't be put off by the closed loop controls. As far as I'm concerned, they are the best thing about this model. I love em'. No signs of free play at all and the weight is kept where you want it - close to the CoG.

Thanks for your input, Gary. Food for thought indeed. I am looking around for a project to fill the bad weather when I can't fly that doesn't cost the earth. I think then I need to be brave on the elevator set up! I notice the airframe weight is not too dissimilar to the weight of some of my other 50cc size aircraft that I have successfully applied the electric template, so worries there. 

On 28/04/2023 at 10:01, Adrian Smith 1 said:

Hi Gary. I just revisited your build. I don't know if you can remember if it would be suitable for an electric conversion? The other thing I am a bit concerned about is the faff of also cabling the elevators as doing the rudder is pain enough. I guess there is no facility to put elevator servos in the tail section. If not I think the mods required might not be worth it. I am not worried about weight distribution as that can be resolved with lipo positioning. Did you have her for very long? I am a great admirer of the Capiche and I had the old 140 size and electrified it, but I must say it wasn't very successful. It flew very we'll on on a long gone OS60FX. I am all electric now. 

Adrian

I take it you mean the OS160FX not the OS60FX! 🤣

• 3 weeks later...

Haha! I was just browsing the Internet looking for info on CG locations from people that have actually bought and flown the planes themselves as the manuals are sometimes wrong and as i was reading through i was thinking "wow this looks awfully identical to the one i have just bought" only to realise once i got to the end built up photos this is the same model! I maidened it this past Saturday and it flys great just having a few engine running issues not transitioning smoothly enough ive rebuilt the carb ready for a retune & retesting this next weekend had to post to let you know its still in one piece looking like new and going strong with the exact setup except its now on a different reciever/battery setup 

If you remember or are still posting here which CG setting did you think it flew best on? It seemed very easy to want to drop a wing at low speed is what i noticed

20230506_180854.jpg

2 minutes ago, Adrian Smith 1 said:

Nice flight/model Aidan! She is a real peach. I will go down to my work shop today and accurately measure where my CoG is a post it later this evening and any other observations. 😀

Thankyou! I've wanted one for years finally saw this in a club members hanger sat unused for the past year or so couldnt help myself from snapping it up

I had the Capiche 140 when it first came out but never got it out the box and sold it regretted it ever since

On the lookout for the mini capiche now!

The CoG on my Capiche 140 was set at 19.5 cms or 7 3/4" from the leading edge, Aidan. This is the ideal position for my set up and she flew very well. 

As an observation you are best advised to stay with I/C as I didn't find an electrification conversion was easily achieved based on the slim fuselage which made the logistics a bit of a pain. 

29 minutes ago, Adrian Smith 1 said:

The CoG on my Capiche 140 was set at 19.5 cms or 7 3/4" from the leading edge, Aidan. This is the ideal position for my set up and she flew very well. 

As an observation you are best advised to stay with I/C as I didn't find an electrification conversion was easily achieved based on the slim fuselage which made the logistics a bit of a pain. 

Thanks 😁 this is the 50cc version though so will have to work out the differences but gives me an idea! Definitely won't be going electric i only use that on my smaller models!