PSSA visit to the Avro Heritage Museum

Phil Cooke

A proposed PSSA get together - Saturday 10th March 2018

Hi all,

Last years pre-season 'non flying' get together at the RAF Museum, Cosford proved a big success, so although the venue might change, I'd like to try and make this an annual occurrence if possible. It's a big gap to bridge between our last event of the season in October and our first flying meet of the year in April!

This year I'm proposing a group visit to the Avro Heritage Museum at the old Avro/BAe Woodford plant near Stockport, Cheshire on Saturday 10th March 2018.

Now I appreciate the location is a bit biased towards the NW of the country, Cosford and Wellesbourne are both ideally located as they are so central but they've both now been done! I hope the reward of Avro's fine heritage provides sufficient 'pull' and sees us meet with enough numbers to call ourselves a group!

A link to the museums website can be found HERE.

As well as the state of the art museum building which tells the entire Avro history in full, there is of course the Vulcan itself open to view in its fabulous 'Anti Flash' white scheme. There are other full cockpit sections on show as well has a host of fantastic large scale models and memorabilia. The shop too comes highly recommended!

I would suggest a 3 hour visit at the museum will see us done when we can retire to a local pub for a spot of late lunch before we scuttle back to our workshops in preparation for the April meet!

The museum opens at 10am on the proposed date, and entry costs £8 per person - can I suggest a 10:30am meeting time in the car park - that way we should be in the pub for 2pm to catch the end of the lunchtime trade.

Please register your interest below if you are keen and able to join us - see you there!!

Edited By Phil Cooke on 11/02/2018 19:51:27

Highly recommended.

Our Club did a Group visit there last Thursday & had a great day out.

There were 21 of us & they arranged to split the group 11 & 10. One section had a guided tour of the museum whilst the other was sub-split into 3 groups who had simultaneous guided cockpit tours of the VC10, Vulcan & Lancaster, rotating through the 3 cockpits. We then had an excellent buffet lunch in the cafe (pre-booked £6) & swapped over. In all we had half a dozen guides several of whom were active or ex-modellers & included retired VC10 & Vulcan Captains.

Depending on responses you may be able to arrange something similar, the place is run by volunteer enthusiasts who are only too keen to help.

Avro Heritage Tour arranged!

Through the kind help of PSSA member (and ex-Woodford staff) Phil Beard, we are now all aligned to receive a formal guided tour of the Avro Heritage Museum from Steve Abbott, who was originally responsible for the design of the exhibition area. Cockpit sections will also be opened up for us, which doesn't normally occur at the weekend on public viewing days.

A huge thank you to Phil and to Steve in advance. I've promised Steve we'll arrive at 10:30am but conscious we are all travelling from different points of the compass and he will plan the first part of the tour so any relative late comers wont miss out on the most exciting elements!

Steve's advice was to arrive, pay on entry (£8 per head (concessions apply)) and congregate in the Vulcan café upstairs where he will meet us - aiming to commence the tour before 11am.

I did also ask Steve if we could possibly get a group photo in front of the Vulcan, which has been approved! - so please if you have a PSS model Vulcan you can bring with you then this surely is a PSSA opportunity NOT TO BE MISSED!!

• 2 weeks later...

bumped posting... as a reminder

Avro Heritage Tour arranged! Saturday 10th March - 10:30am meet at the Museum for 11am start!

Through the kind help of PSSA member (and ex-Woodford staff) Phil Beard, we are now all aligned to receive a formal guided tour of the Avro Heritage Museum from Steve Abbott, who was originally responsible for the design of the exhibition area. Cockpit sections will also be opened up for us, which doesn't normally occur at the weekend on public viewing days.

A huge thank you to Phil and to Steve in advance. I've promised Steve we'll arrive at 10:30am but conscious we are all travelling from different points of the compass and he will plan the first part of the tour so any relative late comers wont miss out on the most exciting elements!

Steve's advice was to arrive, pay on entry (£8 per head (concessions apply)) and congregate in the Vulcan café upstairs where he will meet us - aiming to commence the tour before 11am.

I did also ask Steve if we could possibly get a group photo in front of the Vulcan, which has been approved! - so please if you have a PSS model Vulcan you can bring with you then this surely is a PSSA opportunity NOT TO BE MISSED!!

Hi Dave,

I think the tour is due to last around 2 hours, maybe a little longer dependant on final group size. We should be done and in the boozer for 2pm I think, that's the plan.

10:30am meet in the car park at AHM

11:00am - tour starts from the Vulcan Café on the first floor

2:00pm - pub lunch

Hi all,

The recommended pub for lunch is the Butley Ash.
London Road, Cheshire, SK10 4EA

It's a lovely rural location not far from the airfield.

I've booked for Saturday 2.15pm for 15-20 peeps.

Please have a look on the menu so the chef has an idea of what needs preparing.
An idea of final numbers would be useful so I can call the pub and let them know how many tables to set out.

Cheers, and see you Saturday

http://www.chefandbrewer.com/pub/butley-ash-butley/p1161/menu/

Edited By Bob Jennings 1 on 06/03/2018 13:01:29