New EDF Mini Jets- Sabre & MiG15 RCM&E 2018 Special

My FMS 3S fans tested at:

559 grams thrust

33.8 amps

351.5 watts

10.4 volts

dscn2912.jpg

I found that a 2200 battery had a very very large frontal area and blocked too much of the airflow, even a 1800 is big.

I think his newer designs with the large side inlets and the battery out of the airflow will be a much better design.

Edited By Steven Shaw on 24/07/2019 11:50:59

Thanks to all for your thoughts and suggestions.

Piers - appreciate the compliment, thanks! (Not looking quite so good now I've ripped the wings off to get at the ESC for testing!)

I agree with you, and the others in that swapping to a 1500 would pay dividends - I just didn't have any at the time.

Ron - yes my cheater holes are further forward than the plan due to servos. I wanted to put them as far back as possible to give me more room in the cockpit area. It's cramped enough in there. The position should not make much difference though - the main thing is the amount of inflow available in front of the fan.

Interestingly, all my testing has been with the cockpit lid off the fuselage and the battery hanging down the outside of the fuselage in an attempt to get the best reading possible. This gained about 10% over the fuselage closed with the battery inside - not as much as I thought.

Alan - the model is built as per plan. If you have a look at the mag you can see the LiPo sitting in the bottom of the fuz. The 'pannier' is a hand hold to assist hand launching - unless I have missed some pics somewhere.

Steven - your results are interesting. I see it still falls short of the 620g FMS claim and the 700g some have reported. With you using a proper test setup I trust those figures more than simply upending over some kitchen scales which is what I do currently.

So next steps - compare the AEO; get some 1500 LiPos; stick the wings back on; try again!

Colin,

Firstly the 600g is a guideline as to a 'manufactures stated thrust' which is always in 'open field testing' on a test rig. When buying a fan, you only have the manufactures stated thrust to 'BUY' to!. Im saying that a fan unit with a manufactures stated thrust of 600g, in a model such as the Sabre, will fly it very well indeed. It would be ridiculous to expect modeller to test the thrust of an EDF in there own model and then compare that to a specification....

I know from 'open field' test on a rig the FMS 50mm fan on 3S (11.1V) you will get around 620g or thereabouts. However, put this into model and that figure WILL be reduced due to air flow resistance both in front of the fan and losses after the fan....You could easily lose 50% of your thrust but the model will still fly....why???? because i used a rubbish AEO fan in the test Sabre, that could only muster 380g in free air (and probably 150g once in the model) and that still flew!!!

So if your getting 350g in the model, tested......it will go like a rocket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Having now developed a further six more jets, the secret is a cheat hole (40mm x 40mm or equiv. CSA) in the under side of the fuselage just 15mm or so in front of the fan and this will UNLOCK the performance of fan. The Sabre side scoops would then be redundant.....

30C Lipos are fine....1800 to 2200mah...perfect......anything more may add thrust but this will be offset against the weight increase.......

Thanks Tony - appreciate the answer - but if I understand you correctly you are saying that it should fly OK, even with a 2200 and the problem is just that it needs a large cheater hole adding?

If so what makes mine, built as per plan, different to yours and the others who say theirs fly OK? (I feel sure that I built accurately, CG was right etc)

Happy to try anything - just need to understand.

Edited By Colin Bernard on 24/07/2019 22:06:50

Colin,

I find it unexplainable why this model dose not fly.....If you telling us you measure the thrust of the model at worst being 350g which is 14oz, against an AUW of 21oz you have a 67% thrust to weight ratio which is ample......My sabre flew on a 50% thrust to weight ratio using the cheap AEO fan!

I can only suggest the 40mm x 40mm cheat opening in the underside. Also check your speed controller is giving max output....it is a 40amp controller i assume?

All the latest designs i have produced use the FMS50mm 3s fan and the AUW range from 22oz to 26oz!!!

one last and curious point, did you know you used the Mig canopy on your Sabre!!!!

I am wondering how accurate my thrust measurement is. I simply inverted the model over the kitchen scales as close as I could to the scales without touching them, and then gave it WOT.

I'll stick the wings back on and try adding that cheat hole.

As to the canopy I must have traced off the wrong side of the plan! Never mind, have plenty of pop bottles!

Thanks again Tony - I'll post any updates.

Looking forward to building the Provost next.

(And must summon up the courage to maiden the Vulcan too.)

Posted by Tony Nijhuis on 26/07/2019 17:11:22:

Colin

Try putting the nose of the model on the kitchen scales.....switch them on and they will zero with the weight of the model on them....then give it WOT with just lateraily supporting the model

Won't "nose on scales" affect the entry of air? Maybe you'd need standoffs between the scales and the nose.

Tony - I did it tail down for the reason brokenenglish mentioned above.

However since at the moment there are no wings or cockpit on the fuz it's no issue so out of curiosity I did it nose down on a fresh battery and got much the same - 16oz/454g thrust.

And I hate to admit it but yes, I had copied off the wrong side of the plan for the canopy - duh!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...