A-10 Thunderbolt from the Mike Pastro Plan

Phil Beard

Well I've always wanted to build amodel of the A10 Thunderbolt and having a PSS model of one ticks all the boxes for me.

I thought I'd do a blog of the build so as to keep my motivation going and also be able to ask for help when required mainly with respect on how to cover the model and paint it, together with how to make a canopy. Something that I've never done before.

Thought I'd attach some photos to show how I've started already.img_2041.jpgimg_2042.jpgimg_2043.jpgimg_2045.jpgimg_2046.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well after another week away last week looking after full size aircraft I'm back home doing some more work this time on the out port wing of my A10.

Last week wasn't fully wasted as I managed to cut-out alot of the fuselage frames in my hotel room in the evening. Will post an image of these later.img_2056.jpg

img_2057.jpg

img_2058.jpg

img_2059.jpg

Chris Barlow many apologies for not responding sooner, had mean't to say I think I will be using the Winter Colours similar to those used by Andy Meade as it does seem to give a nice look.

What I need now is some help in how I should cover the model and put on the colour scheme. I'm used to using Solarfilm and solar tex but I'm not sure what to use for this model to give the best effect. Any help greatly received.

Hi Philip,

If we say that the way to get the camo scheme onto the airframe is with sprayed on paint, then of course we need to get a decent smooth substrate for masking up. My order of preference for this would be silver hobbyking film, then tissue and dope in second, then solartex in last place. 'Tex is quite hard to fill the weave well enough to stop bleed-through of colours unfortunately.

So if you were to use HK film, I'd use "balsaloc" first to ensure the best adhesion, then apply the film, then rub back with green scotchbrite, then prymol to key the surface, then plastic primer from a rattle can. Then when on the colours, lightest first - in this case my A10 got a complete coat of white enamel paint before the grey and black.

Hope that helps!

Andrew thanks for your suggestions. Have to agree about Solartex as I've only used that on an SE5A when I used to fly power.

I've used Balsaloc previously when using solarfilm so no hassle with that and will look up the Silver Hobby King Film. Not sure what you mean by Plastic Primer though, if you can elaborate that would be good.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Philip,

OK so once the film is on, and it has been roughed up slightly to take the sheen off, it is then readied for paint with prymol. This allows sprays to bind more effectively. Plastic primer is just one of those generic rattle can sprays that one can source from Halfords or The Range. It ensures a good base for the top coat colours to bind to, essentially.

The great thing about silver film is that if the paint is chipped or scratched at all, it exposes a silver base that looks like bare aluminium.

I should add that a Warbird of this ilk would benefit from matt colours to be used, then all sealed up with a coat of satin lacquer sprayed on. A10s are far from shiney aircraft, so a good dull top coat makes them more realistic in the air.

Andrew,

Thanks for your response which is excellent. Do like the idea where if the paint is chipped it exposes a silver base that looks like Aluminium. That's class and such an easy solution and so practical.

Have to say I've always liked the A10 since the day I saw one land at BAe Woodford where I used to work and had the chance to look at the aircraft and get to touch it. Looked down the gatling gun and the shells that come out are the size of 2p's, wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that. Pilot was a Capt Myers call sign "Quag". Had to laugh at that.

All the Best

Phil Beard

• 5 months later...

Well I haven't posted for a while, some may have thought I'd given up with the A10, but after a good summer racing the boat it's back to the model making over the winter period and whilst I didn't do as much on the A10 I did build a SAS Wildthing 60 as seen below and have completed the majority of a Flair Heron which I'll post some photos later on.

mod 1.jpg

mod 2.jpg

As you can see from the next photo the empenage of the A10 has taken shape nicely and is ready to be fitted through the fuselage.

img_2635.jpg

Will keep you all updated as I continue to progress the build.

Chris,

The Wingspan is 57 inches as I just measured the plan.

I don't live near Woodford any longer as I moved to Ayr in 1992 with the move of the ATP production to Prestwick, but I don visit the area on business relatively often. I would be very grateful if I could have use of the Canopy Plug as that was one aspect of the build I was concerned about.

I'll send you a message with my E-Mail address and we'll discuss when I'm next in the area so as to gain access to the use of the canopy plug. Thanks for the offer Chris.

Not sent many photos of the fuselage previously but this has been built some what during the summer when time permitted, but as you can see from the photos i've been fitting the bowden cables today and adding some extra formers so I don't have any slop in the control movements.

img_2639.jpg

img_2641.jpg

img_2640.jpg

Also I'd like to thank:-

Chris Barlow for the offer of help with the Canopy, much appreciated.

SR71 for photo of his A10 build.

Andy Meade for the encouragement in progressing.

All the Best

Phil B