show us your scale glider

Andy, I seem to remember that the Gordon Waite AV36 is actually 1:3.5 scale. That said, mine has a 1/4 scale pilot in there anyway. Oh dear! I do hope that the 'Scale Police' from the SSUK site aren't monitoring developments here laugh

In terms of flying characteristics, the AV36 couldn't be less PSS-like! Gordon's design was for thermal soaring so is very lightly loaded. Whilst the full size is very aerobatic, at first I struggled to coax a loop out of the model - no matter how long the initial dive, it didn't seem to pick up enough speed. I've since re-worked the canopy to make it less of an air dam, made provision for adding a bit of ballast and eased the cg back a touch. It will now loop reliably but still has a pretty limited speed range. Very nice to fly though, for all that.

No Andy, I haven’t tried to tow launch it. I did see the full size towed up (using the bridle arrangement you describe) at Old Warden, and it was the spirited aerobatic display it gave on the way down that inspired me to build the model.

I can’t see why it wouldn’t work okay with a standard nose-mounted tow release - as long as you are prepared to run the gauntlet of the “scale police” of course!

Trevor

Martyn K

Thats a very nice Foka 4, if you want a really nice color scheme check out G-DCBP at the Gliding Heritage Centre (GHC) it is nice having a glider thats not white. Plus if your in the area to Lasham Gliding Club you can do a tour of the vintage hanger normally on a sunday and see the real one up close as there is not to many about. This one only flew again last year after 17 years and a big rebuild.

Regards Wayne

My Pat Teakle HP18, originally built in late 1980s, first flown on a Fleet PCM 7 radio, refurbished 5 years ago after losing the original canopy on the Malverns. Regular slope and aerotow model, photo is on landing approach at TVSA Shrivenham aerotow (I might have been rushing down for the ice cream van.........)

img_4676 copy.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Show us your Scale glider, - all I can do is show everyone is a video of a similar gift coming to myself prior to Christmas this year, as some would say "a early Christmas present", in fact I think a lot of subscribers and magazine purchasers will get the plan before the end of the year, that's all I'm saying.

It's a : Goppingen GOl 1/7th scale 2000mm span 38 oz AUW using HG35 / 12 wing section with no washout.

- ' my prospective build ' -

RIDING WITH THE WOLF - filmed on a gusty day

Music intro :-                           'Outro' and 'More than I Should'
Composed and recorded by :-                           Chris Williams
The evocative 1930's style Glider designer :-   Chris Williams

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 24/10/2018 06:35:30

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

My all Depron Glasflugel Libelle

Completed

2.1 m span with a one piece wing.. 340 g (12 oz) with a 1000 mAh 3s.

Looked more impressive than it flew but I did loop it once - carefully!.

Unfortunately it is no longer as I lost it in a thermal when just that bit too far away down wind!

I might be tempted to build another with the last of my Depron. wink 2

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 18/05/2019 17:10:11

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...