motor gliders

The phrase "motor glider" always makes me recoil

If it has a motor then it is not a glider, otherwise anything with a motor than can glide would be a motor glider. Is my Wot 4 a motor glider, I wonder ?

On the other hand, a motorised glider, ie designed as a glider but has had a motor added, makes more sense.

Well this one is an actual motor glider - the Scheibe SF-24 Motor Spatz (Motor Sparrow).

The f/s was produced in Germany in the early 1960's and was one of the first commercially available motor gliders. Really a fun model to fly and also performs well as a sloper - I guess with the prop removed it would be a PSS!

recovered.jpg

sparrow flyby.jpg

My ASK-14 from a German kit - can't remember the manufacturer - 1/5th scale, 113.5" span, weighs 5.5lb, power is a 1958 vintage Fox 19 fitted with an OS carb driving 8x4 prop.
Despite the high wing loading & low power - 15.5oz/sq ft it flies in a very scale like manner. Climb is steady, maintains altitude at tickover & glide can be surprisingly slow.
It's been a hanger queen for a number of years since I went all electric but overdue for a refurb & power update. I expect to be able to make substantial weight savings by changing the 4 Futaba 148's servos in the fuselage & pair of medium Hitec servos in the wings for more modern lighter jobbies & using a 3s electric power train.

ask (a).jpg

Resting on the club strip.

ask & bogy.jpg

Sitting next to my magnatilla in the donor image for ...

ask14.jpg

My photoshopped avatar piloted by moi.

clouds.jpg

A genuine flying shot photoshopped [badly] into a cloudy background.

Love that T61 Trevor - superb detail in the cockpit and finishing. With the prop clearance and outriggers, I assume it can ROG?

Here's my Ogar - a Polish tandem glider in which the occupants sit side by side. There are still quite a few flying - 45 were shipped to the States and are popular with clubs for training as the a/c can be powered up to height, the motor switched off and long flight times obtained by soaring.

My own model performs very well in my four favourite passions of club and park flying, thermaling and sloping.

3/4.jpg

cockpit.jpg

Yes, ROGs with the T61 are generally no problem. I have though upgraded from 5s to 6s operation and reduced the prop diameter by an inch because the prop would occasionally catch when taking off from bumpy ground. My instrument panel is actually just a printout - I was lucky enough to be able to photograph the full size! Yours looks to be much more of a construction.

• 2 years later...