The 2018 Transmitter Survey!

As regulars and long standing members will know, over the years we have run a number of surveys to get some idea of trends in radio equipment use.

In the 2012 poll the top three were:

1. Futaba 41%

2. Spektrum 34%

3. JR 10%

In the 2014 poll we had the same top three but we got a change in the leader:

1. Spektrum 38%

2. Futaba 31%

3 JR 9%

In the 2017 poll we got a new name in 3rd place:

1. Spektrum 36%

2. Futaba 26%

3. FrSky 15%

Well a lot is happening in the radio market just now. All the big players have launched new models in the last 12 months, many with radical changes. So we thought we'd go annual on this poll and get a handle on what might be happening out there. Has Futaba strengthened its position? Has Spektrum's new iX2 made an impact and extended their lead? What about FrSky's new Horus range - is that bringing new users to FrSky, or is just existing Taranis users upgrading? Or, as a new name emerged, HiTec on up up maybe? Hopefully a new poll can give us a hint as to answers to some of these questions.

The actually poll board will appear shortly - so get ready to cast your vote! And if you would like to comment on the developing picture as the vote progresses please feel free to do so below.

BEB

I've had a JR radio since 2012 (XG11) and before that I had an entry level Futaba (6EX I think). I'm going to phase out my JR dependency gradually with a move to Multiplex.

I bought an MPX Royal SX 16 which I'll gradually migrate my models to. I have a Spektrum DX6 for indoor BNF stuff.

Shame about JR as my kit has been excellent. For me though I found MPX won me over.

I've used Spektrum since it first came into the country - a DX7 and more recently a DX9 also. Never had a moment's trouble, but given the poor availability and cost of RXs I've been tempted to try Frsky. I have just bought a Taranis, a couple of RXs and some Sbus decoders to simpify connections in a couple of models with aileron, flap, retract and light connections in each wing. So - Spektrum will be my entry on the survey as most of my models still use it, but if I get on OK with the Taranis I will probably start switching them over.

I voted for "Spektrum", but not bought any new sets since last time. Also it is my main protocol, so even if I, probably would from now on go into Frsky, but won't be main set until a few years' time.

As the cost of Spektrum rx's and availability, as D. Williams said, be going to Frsky I reckon.

I also use Hitec, Futaba and have a Tactic Set. Hitec are good, but the Aurora 9 is a bit short on channels, and as they said, they are not bringing a new TX out, or a 12, then if you are not moving forward, you are moving back.

Edited By Paul Marsh on 09/04/2018 17:57:11

Posted by Ron Gray on 09/04/2018 17:39:51:

What would be good would be some indication of the numbers who polled in each of the surveys.

It varies quite a bit. But the figures are:

2012 - 441 votes

2014 - 1982 votes

2017 - 904 votes.

Assuming about 30,000 RC flyers in the UK, you'd need a sample of around 250 to get a reasonably accurate result, 90% sure of being within 1%.

BEB

It's looking interesting with some emerging trends .

I'd be curious if the question " What Brand of Transmitter Have You Purchased in the last Year" was posed at some point in the future as an additional indicator.

Or would the results be much the same ?

Yes, I am bored, Its chucking it down with rain here in Devon. The only days I could fly I've committed to other things so thanks to this great forum, a shed tidy and plastic kit build I've managed to keep busy.

I don't think the results so far show the real situation at clubs. FrSky gets talked about a lot on the forum but I never see one at my club. Its mostly Spektrum and Futaba with one Graupner at my club.

Also it's common for many of my clubmates to fly 2 makes - Futaba& Spektrum depending on which model they fly. That is they changed makes probably because Rx prices have gone up. Also many instructors keep both a Futaba and a Spektrum on hand to help trainees. Unless this survey allows us to vote for more than one make it won't show the true situation!

Most of our Club use Spektrum, a very few Taranis and Futaba.

I currently use Spektrum but will change to FrSky Taranis very soon. Reason - my DX8 is getting quite old now and replacement beckons. Spektrum has become way too expensive.

Edited By BackinBlack on 09/04/2018 19:23:58

I'm not sure that it's just Spektrum that are taking the micky with their prices. Spekky and Futaba have effectively got the market to themselves now, so don't expect to see their prices getting more reasonable any time soon.
Frsky are good and the few flyers that I know who run that brand are very satisfied with it. But....Frsky just doesn't seem to be able to land a knockout blow on the big two and give them a run for their money. We need real competition in the marketplace for the good of all radio consumers.

We have several Taranis users at our club and they seem very satisfied. I think that if I wasn't committed to (and very happy with) my own choice of system, I would give FRSky very serious consideration - especially with some of the upgrades now available. Having seen the inside details of the Horus, I do have a few reservations about build quality and design but I've probably been spoilt in my expectations.

Posted by Ron Gray on 09/04/2018 18:50:33:

The problem with this survey is that it doesn't really show trends. A survey of all those who have bought a new Tx over the last year would give a better indication of where 'we' are going.

No, its not a problem it is what we want to do! We just want a snapshot of what people are actually using, not what they are buying - that would be a different survey with a different objective and would not have a any meaningful trend from what we have done before. At least this is on the same basis as the previous surveys - so it is possible to deduce some sort of trend.

BEB