The 2018 Transmitter Survey!

Andy

I had no idea Spektrum rxs were so pricey. I have just bought what I thought was a very expensive rx - the R7014SB - a 14 channel Futaba FASST/FASSTest rx for £166. I only have one model that uses 14 channels and I did not want to get into SBUS.

I have been checking out the relatively cheap T-FHSS rxs this year and so far I have noticed no difference in reliability over FASST/FASSTest.

Julian

A lot of modellers have been fiercely loyal to the brand however I have never really taken to Futaba for a number of reasons. Back in the late 70s I decided to replace an old set of Skyleader and hankered after the new J series. Very expensive but perhaps worth it. That was until I heard that the receivers were all going back and being swapped for series ones. I then discovered the Black paid 50%Custom Sanwa. Less money and better quality that lasted that gave me 20 years faithful service. Fast forward to the late 80s. I rolled into my LMS and decided to buy whatever the current FF7 was. It had been replaced by the FF8 price considerably more. It’s was also disappointingly plasticky and poor. I was then shown a Hitec prism x7. A clear clone of the FF7 and better quality. And that was at a time when the users of the mainstream stuff were calling Hitec cheap chines rubbish I sold it 25 25 years later still as new without a moments problem. The FF8 that I could have paid 50% more for did gain a reputation for aerial mound breakage. My next set of radio to replace an aged Skyleader was JR. I finally bought Futaba when I went 2.4. 6j. Whilst I was disappointed because I bought the 6 instead of 8j but also there was no proper rechargeable conversion (according to Ripmax and the LMS). I sold it on eBay and bought the 8j. Which whilst fine and reliable is plastick and lacklustre compared to the Spelky 8 which I bought at the same time

Posted by gangster on 23/07/2018 12:48:16:

I finally bought Futaba when I went 2.4. 6j. Whilst I was disappointed because I bought the 6 instead of 8j but also there was no proper rechargeable conversion (according to Ripmax and the LMS).

I think one of the reasons that personal preference applies so strongly to transmitters is that we all have different habits, wants and needs. One person's 'con' is another person's 'pro'...

This is a good example. I think dry cell batteries are the best thing since sliced bread in the 6J. They last me all year, don't appreciably self-discharge, and I have no faff of charging them. They won't suddenly die on me, and if they run low, I can just pop to Wilko's instead of having to find a dedicated model shop...

I wouldn't go back to rechargables even if I could... and won't buy a new transmitter that can't be run on dry cell batteries!!!! So there!!! cheeky

Posted by Mike Blandford on 23/07/2018 09:53:03:

Andy, what is it about the "Taranis" programming you don't get on with? I'm guessing you mean openTx programming model. ersky9x open source firmware also runs on the Taranis and may be easier to follow:

<snip>

Yes, it is. But the last thing I want to be doing with a transmitter is updating the firmware - as far as I'm concerned, it's a black box that has to work 100% of the time without anybody meddling with it. I don't even risk doing a normal software update because I've seen other people's transmitters that no longer work correctly after having had an update. Having said that, I'd be happy sending it to be serviced and also having a software update because then it's their responsibility and if they mess it up I can get my money back...

A.

Posted by Julian Thacker on 23/07/2018 12:39:50:

Andy

I had no idea Spektrum rxs were so pricey. I have just bought what I thought was a very expensive rx - the R7014SB - a 14 channel Futaba FASST/FASSTest rx for £166. I only have one model that uses 14 channels and I did not want to get into SBUS.

I have been checking out the relatively cheap T-FHSS rxs this year and so far I have noticed no difference in reliability over FASST/FASSTest.

Julian

Well, no, neither did I until I started looking for a 9 channel Rx and was rather surprised by the asking prices. I had always assumed that Spektrum receivers were going to be relatively cheap, but apparently that's no longer the case. The one I looked at had AS3X so that's maybe why, but it was very difficult to find one without AS3X and I'm starting to wonder if the "normal" receivers are going to be phased out.

A.

Posted by Rich too on 25/07/2018 14:17:40:

How about a “how many transmitters do you use” poll? It amazes me how many some people appear to have - I only need one !

And how about 'how many receivers do you have' to go with it? Once upon a time you had one rx and one set of servos which were swapped between airframes - sometimes at the field between flights. I'd hate to count up all the rx that I have now, maybe 40ish? At this point I'm glad I use FrSky at £25-30 a pop!

I suppose that I have several Tx`s, although only two tend to get used now, my favourite DSX9 and a back up PCM 9X using an Orange module plus a FrSky module which has yet to be used by me. I bought this with two Rx`s because I also have a Taranis plus four Rx`s but although I have used it on a few models it just does not gel with me. Far too complex but very good in operation.

Then there is the TGY i6 I bought for quads and its big brother the TGY i10 which would be great if the s/w worked with three position rate switches which it does not. A few other Tx`s bought to go with indoor helis, micro quads etc and it soon adds up.

Rx`s? I would not even try to count these.

As above, due to the prohibitive cost of gear at the time we had to swap what we had between models.

In 1980 a basic set of Multiplex gear with four servos was as I recall somewhat over £1000. Could be miles out there but it was a lot of money anyway. Servos and Rx`s for it were at least £54 each.

After returning to model flying to find that my 27 meg set may be a little outdated, I now have a turnigy i10 (aka flysky i10) and whilst it doesn't have a big brand name, I've used it for over 4 years without major problem. I have had to replace 2 gimbal springs, that's it.

The receivers are inexpensive so I can have one for my many planes, has telemetry (but sadly no voice alerts), rock solid connection with no brown out (touch wood quick), excellent range and more mixes and conditions than I know what to do with and the touch screen GUI is very intuitive, but struggles in direct sunlight.

I only have the one Taranis transmitter, I purchased it after wearing out my Flysky 9X gimbles, the reason I love the Taranis is that I can still use the 12 receivers I have from the 9X, just moved the TX module from the 9X to the Taranis, and, I have an OrangeRX module on DSMX to use with the Eflite indoor models I have. I now have close to 36 receivers that all work with the Taranis on 3 different protocols, plus the programing in the Taranis is amazing once you get your head around it.

Edited By iflylilplanes on 02/08/2018 03:28:29

Multiplex Cockpit - essentially very simple once you get your head round having to program each servo individually - most appealing is how the Cockpit Tx feels in the hand, small and perfectly formed. Just a pity there aren't Lemon Rx's that work with Multiplex, but you can't have everything.

2.4 RX prices have gone up quite a bit recently (Futaba and Spektrum), but perhaps we just got used to them being cheaper than equivalent old tech kit whilst 2.4 was establishing itself. The last 35 meg RX that I bought was a 9 channel PCM futaba in around 2010, cost £95 from SMC at the time. Hardly had time to use it given the introduction of 2.4, so sold it on BMFA for £45 to a chap in the Irish Republic. Agree with the AS3X comments, I don't need it, although I appreciate its use in certain applications. Telemetry is OK, but I wouldn't go out of my way to pay extra for a telemetry equipped RX.

I have two TXs in regular use, my DX8 G2 and my original DX7 bought back in 2012 which has been fine on DSM2 and still sees regular use with my models that have DSM2 RXs

Edited By Cuban8 on 02/08/2018 09:40:50

• 2 weeks later...

Just purchasing my second Frsky Taranis, the old one is an X9D, the new one is an X9D Plus. I will be transferring everything over to the new X9D Plus, the X9D will be used as a backup if needed and a trainer slave.

Had a glance at the new Spektrum radio (inquisitive, not interested). Seriously, do you really need an internet connection, Bluetooth and the like, I'm not even sure I would need a touch screen, I make enough mistakes on my smart phone with my fingers the size they are, I don't need finger size issues in my TX, safety first not looks.

A colour screen with a little better resolution would be nice and a case that's not a carryover form the FM days would be the only things that would be needed to improve the X9D Plus Taranis, and I'm still happy with the currant version.

• 2 weeks later...

I have used Futaba since 1990 and see no need to change. I was finding Futaba receivers getting very expensive so I moved to FrSky receivers. Their entry level receiver is 1/3 the cost of Futaba 607 and has fail safe on all channels where Futaba only have fail safe on throttle. No brainer really.

My Futaba has failsafe on all channels. I use 7008SB receiver with 14SG . I think it just depends which model you have. I am happy using Futaba receivers with Futaba transmitters. Despite being a bit expensive the receivers have been totally reliable so as safe as possible plus the cost is still quite small compared to the overall cost of a model. If I was flying foam planes etc I would probably consider budget alternatives.

Posted by Stuart Morris on 28/08/2018 15:19:50:

I have used Futaba since 1990 and see no need to change. I was finding Futaba receivers getting very expensive so I moved to FrSky receivers. Their entry level receiver is 1/3 the cost of Futaba 607 and has fail safe on all channels where Futaba only have fail safe on throttle. No brainer really.

The 607 was of course discontinued several years back. It is true the 617 has full configurable f/s on throttle only; however if you are like me and set all other channels to hold on f/s then in practice it has f/s on all 7 channels as it will hold last known signal position on those channels. If you have a tx that can transmit SFHSS and/or TFHSS then there are some fairly cheap Futaba rx offerings in those flavours. I have been testing the R3106GF out for about 8 months in an extreme 3D model and so far it has not put a step wrong - around £25.

Posted by Julian Thacker on 28/08/2018 17:11:40:
Posted by Stuart Morris on 28/08/2018 15:19:50:

The 607 was of course discontinued several years back. It is true the 617 has full configurable f/s on throttle only; however if you are like me and set all other channels to hold on f/s then in practice it has f/s on all 7 channels as it will hold last known signal position on those channels. If you have a tx that can transmit SFHSS and/or TFHSS then there are some fairly cheap Futaba rx offerings in those flavours. I have been testing the R3106GF out for about 8 months in an extreme 3D model and so far it has not put a step wrong - around £25.

It’s a pity you can’t use a Futaba 617 Rx with the 8 channel module...they slipped up there.

Posted by Julian Thacker on 29/08/2018 08:58:53:

It’s a pity you can’t use a Futaba 617 Rx with the 8 channel module...they slipped up there.

Eh? You can. The 8 channel module is selectable between 7 and 8 channel modes - or at least the one I had for my 9zap was.

Julian

Well you are correct, I’d forgot the switch n the back face 3

Ive had the spektrum DX6 for the past eighteen months,i cant say im truly happy with it,not very reliable at all,i sent it in for a repair after four months,it took six weeks before i got it back,it went halfway around the world lol,to get repaired,i get the occasional loss of signal,for a split second or so,i am waiting for the jeti DS12 to be released.then its an upgrade for me!!