The 2018 Transmitter Survey!

Posted by MattyB on 10/04/2018 14:46:34:
Posted by Cuban8 on 10/04/2018 13:29:18:
BEB, I wonder why your belief in Open TX isn't getting through to mainstream radio users?
I'm not saying that your wrong, quite the opposite, in fact.

See my comment above - it is getting through to mainstream radio users, just not necessarily the same mainstream you are thinking of!

In the growth areas of RC (i.e. multirotors) FrSky and OpenTX are the prevalent system globally, probably because most of these pilots are relatively new to the hobby and did not need to to "unlearn" their old system. IMO it is a complete myth that OpenTX is hard to configure (note I did not use the word programme; unless you are one of the tiny minority of Jeti and FrSky users taking advantage of the LUA capability no-one needs to "programme" their TX!) it is just different sort of logic to more traditional canned mixer style systems. Those who come to it completely fresh pick it up very quickly, but for more experienced pilots it can be more difficult to accept much of what you know is no longer applicable in OpenTX because of the way it works. They therefore stick with what they know, even if it costs them quite a bit more financially to do so. Fair enough, horses for courses and all that, but if you look at the figures in this poll over the years they don't lie - even though the fastest growing segment of FrSky users probably aren't voting here, the brand is still growing steadily in market share at a time when most established names are contracting or (in the case of JR and Hitec) withdrawing from the TX market.

+1 yes Couldn't have put it better!

BEB

FrSky for me, having just recently bought a Horus X10 to replace my Taranis. Immediately switched to OpenTx - as I had on the Taranis.

Previously I was a long-time Futaba user, going back to the M6 (35MHz) in the early 70's, then through Challenger, FF6, FF7, FF8 (all on 35) and finally FF7 on 2.4. Then I started using the excellent FrSky Fasst-compatible receivers and that led to the Taranis and subsequently Horus.

I'm always surprised by the apparent popularity of Spektrum in this survey - totally at odds with what we fly at my club where Futaba is probably still the most common with Spektrum way behind. I'm not sure why this is - maybe early Spektrum users where I fly had bad experiences?

I think where Spektrum/Horizon have cleverly reaped a reward is the Bind & Fly market which hooked quite a few in, me included in the past.

But conversion to Frsky was a push pull affair. Spektrum pushed me away with an overly expensive telemetry/Rx offer and for me I began to struggle setting up more complex models on my DX8.

FrSky pulled me in with great value hardware, a fantastic range of telemetry sensors. I saw OpenTx as an opportunity to learn something new and challenge myself a bit. I'm no techie and did have to seek some help early days but it was so rewarding and I could not imagine being without it now.

I still quite happily use my old DX8 with a couple of legacy models and it's never missed a beat so no negatives but for me and my wallet FrSky/OpenTx has been a revelation.

Posted by Devcon1 on 10/04/2018 23:19:41:

I think where Spektrum/Horizon have cleverly reaped a reward is the Bind & Fly market which hooked quite a few in, me included in the past.

I'm sure that's absolutely true. I expected the same thing to happen with FTR (Futaba Transmitter Ready), but that largely flopped, as far as I can see...

Devcon - that's pretty much where I am too. I'm quite happy with both Spektrum for my existing models, and Frsky/OpenTX for my new ones. OpenTX is straightforward, and I'm an 'aging demographic' pensioner!

I did used to be an IT Director for a major international company though, and I still enjoy a bit of 'programming'.

Posted by Steve J on 10/04/2018 17:29:08:
Posted by MattyB on 10/04/2018 14:46:34:

In the growth areas of RC (i.e. multirotors) FrSky and OpenTX are the prevalent system globally

[citation needed]

Actually I suspect that you are right, but Spektrum are aggressively targeting the multirotor market so that may change and you don't need much transmitter to fly most multirotors. If I was going to go OpenTx, it would be for my gliders.

Spektrum do seem to be targeting multirotor pilots in the last 12-18 months, and you are correct you do not need much of the excellent OpenTX functionality to fly one; the clever stuff is generally all done in the FC. Spektrum's latency may be a bit lower, but it will not be easy to convince multirotor pilots to change over from FrSky to Spek ; their pricing is significantly higher than FrSky with less compelling telemetry integration, there is no open module bay in their TXs and Frsky have lots of compelling multirotor focussed products (integrated RX/FC offerings, long range modules and the upcoming X-Lite gamepad style TX). Combined with the fact HH's rep for customer service is pretty much shot outside the US, it feels like they will have an uphill battle increasing their market share in multirotor, though of course their BNF successes should help them with newcomers.

Posted by MattyB on 10/04/2018 14:37:48:
Posted by kc on 09/04/2018 19:06:18:

I don't think the results so far show the real situation at clubs. FrSky gets talked about a lot on the forum but I never see one at my club. Its mostly Spektrum and Futaba with one Graupner at my club.

Traditional UK clubs with their ageing demographic are not where FrSky is gaining most leverage - the growth is centred more around younger multirotor flyers and those fixed wing/rotary enthusiasts who fly mostly outside of clubs and who want high reliability and the latest new tech at a good value price.

In the two clubs I'm a member of the only FrySky transmitter users are in the "ageing demographic" group. There are several younger flier's that use FrSky Rx's with modules in non-FrSky Tx's.

Personaly I converted to FrSky a long time ago, using modules from Giant Cod. I normaly avoid being an "early adopter" of any new product but because I was so satisfied FrSky products up to then I bought a Taranis from the first batch that T9 imported. Recently I bought a Horus X12S, as yet unused until I get time to convert it to Open Tx.

Currently, apart from the Taranis & Horus, I have a Spektrum DX6 (DSM parkflier version) converted to FrSky V8 using the board from a V8FT module, a Futaba FF8 with a DFT module & an MPX Cockpit SX with a DHT hack module. The FF8 can of course be used on 35Mhz by changing the module, the Cockpit SX can be changed over to 35Mhz by a switch & because it has synth RF any 35 meg frequency can be selected.

BTW I'm in the age demograph that qualifies for a free TV licence. wink 2

Must get around to Ebaying the FF8 & DX6.

Posted by PatMc on 11/04/2018 12:59:51:
Posted by MattyB on 10/04/2018 14:37:48:
Posted by kc on 09/04/2018 19:06:18:

I don't think the results so far show the real situation at clubs. FrSky gets talked about a lot on the forum but I never see one at my club. Its mostly Spektrum and Futaba with one Graupner at my club.

Traditional UK clubs with their ageing demographic are not where FrSky is gaining most leverage - the growth is centred more around younger multirotor flyers and those fixed wing/rotary enthusiasts who fly mostly outside of clubs and who want high reliability and the latest new tech at a good value price.

In the two clubs I'm a member of the only FrySky transmitter users are in the "ageing demographic" group. There are several younger flier's that use FrSky Rx's with modules in non-FrSky Tx's.

..BTW I'm in the age demograph that qualifies for a free TV licence. wink 2

Just to be clear, I am not trying to be ageist here. I agree that there is a mix of age groups taking up OpenTX, I am just pointing out that the price-point and functionality of FrSky makes it particularly attractive to younger newcomers to RC who are tending to be into drones and FPV, probably the only growth area in RC over the past few years. I doubt many of these flyers are members of this forum or voting in the poll.

We have a couple of younger multirotor flyers in the clubs of which I am a member, but most people I know who fly them are doing so alone, in looser groups coordinated via social media or in one of the dedicated FPV multirotor clubs that are starting to pop up. By contrast in the clubs I belong to we have almost zero fixed wing or heli members under the age of 30.

Out of interest I attended a local 250 FPV event to see what it was like, and two things were striking - the demographic is completely the opposite of most RC clubs in the UK (I was practically the oldest people there at just under 40), and the RC gear in use eschewed the traditional big brands almost completely. There were Taranii everywhere, with a spattering of Flyskys, Turnigy 9Xs and the odd Spektrum. JR, Futaba, and Jeti were nowhere to be seen. Lots of things play into that, but bang for buck, resilient long range RF with a module bay, serial bus equipped RXs and telemetry functionality seemed to be key ones.

Posted by SONNY MONKS on 12/04/2018 17:32:26:

How come jeti never seems to have a good rating,ive been reading up on the brand,it seems to have a good review on some forums ive been on!

Jeti does get very good ratings from it's users, but this is a poll about how many people use the different systems, not their performance. Given their cheapest set is currently £700+ it is not surprising the volume of users is pretty low. Personally the behaviour of the US dealer online and the "pay as you go" upgrade model for software features was enough to make me look elsewhere when I moved to 2.4GHz.

Edited By MattyB on 12/04/2018 18:25:10

Posted by Steve J on 12/04/2018 18:37:16:

The last 100 votes has seen Spektrum (now on 33%) dropping back a little and Futaba (23%) pulling away from FrSky (20%). Hitec remain in 4th on 7%.

Compared to the regular flyers at my main club, I would say that the Spektrum and Futaba number are low and the FrSky and Multiplex numbers are high (we only have one member with a FrSky transmitter and nobody who uses Multiplex).

Steve

Drawing conclusions from this data is fraught and dodgy - drawing it on the basis of one club is meaningless!

BEB

I guess if money was no object, (when I win the lottery) the Powerbox Systems Core transmitter would certainly be on my shopping list, a very highly specified bit of kit and it does look rather special.

Maybe one to add to next years survey.

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 12/04/2018 18:10:21:

Interesting thing about Jeti from my perspective is that I understand that, whilst not the same, its programming system is somewhat similar to OpenTx in concept. As someone who has used both Danny has that been your experience?

BEB

A really difficult one for me. I have been flying the X7 since it's launch, the review Tx Chris Bott used was actually mine. The only drawback is that it doesn't have sliders on the sides. I like these for flaps as prefer to adjust according to weather, and two positions never seems right. However having said that, I have hovered over buying an X10 so many times....... The Jeti and the OpentX OS are very granular. Jeti now has a sort of simulator Jeti Studio, like Companion. so I think the two manufacturers are squaring up against each other. I find the OpenTX easier to use, but the Jeti is so well made and has dual paths for everything right out of the box.

I have just assembled a Seagull Mossie for review, and as it is an outdoor model was an obvious for the Jeti. I however used an X8R, SBUS decoders in each wing and the X7. It was so much easier to set up.

In the survey I clicked FRSky, in the past I would have clicked Jeti, I use and like them both.

I think part of the reason people shy away from FRSky is its not expensive, and with that comes a stigma, how silly is that! I cannot remember the exact details but a friend showed me two identical servos running of similar Rx, and you could see the delay on the "big name" none FrSky set up, it startled me how slow a main stream set was by comparison. I wonder if the low latency is why nearly every racing quad flyer is on FRSky?

Cheers

Danny

Posted by Danny Fenton on 12/04/2018 21:28:33:

I think part of the reason people shy away from FRSky is its not expensive, and with that comes a stigma, how silly is that!

Not at all silly - there are complicated 'laws' of economics that govern people's purchasing choices, and they go far beyond simply value for money, or technical specifications. Restaurants 'know' that you are most likely to choose the second cheapest bottle of wine from the wine list, and that's why it has the highest mark up.

Silly things can also be true. They aren't mutually exclusive. How many people use the expression 'you get what you pay for' when buying something about which they have no real expertise? Sales people use that fallacy to do exactly as you say and put up the price of the second best bottle of wine.

Geoff

I would agree with Danny's general point here. A lot of people do seem to think that FrSky's offer is sort of "too good to be true" and that makes them wary. Top spec, radical new capabilities, innovative and highly flexible programming, very low cost Tx, Rx, sensors ultra low latency and all twith a relaiability that at least matches other manufacturers. Surely there must be a "catch"?

Well if there is, in 3 years plus of using it, I haven't found it!

BEB

Purely by chance, a day or two ago I came across coverage of indoor drone racing on one of my cable TV channels and lo and behold, I'm pretty sure that all the pilots were using FrSky transmitters. This does bear out what was recently said about FrSky becoming mainstream in certain areas.

Until FrSky undertake a proper advertising campaign to highlight their products and dispel misconceptions, and perhaps get a 'name' within the world of 'conventional' model flying to start using it, thereby giving the 'big two' a run for their money, they won't make a serious dent in Futaba and Spektrum's broader sales. Maybe they don't want to? That would be a pity, as the industry needs the competition.

Edited By Cuban8 on 14/04/2018 10:10:39