1/12 Messerschmitt Bf 109

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Dwain, I’m also satisfied with the look. Especially with spinner and pilots on board

A 109 must have that aggressive look. Although it doesn’t help winning contests, there is this small wing which is why I try to be as light as possible this time.

Timo

617c8d1a-2ca2-482a-8378-93656fa1424f.jpeg

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 12/05/2019 18:37:55

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I decided to postpone designing a new 1/12 fighter (more time for the Whirlwind), but due to good results at contests this year I will build two new 109s. You will not come far in aircombat with just two models. In the case of my V48 it happened shortly after the start of the second heat. Collision with another plane and it went down from maybe 20-30 metres.

Looking bad at the airfield was quiet easy to repair at home. Important was, that the heavy 3S3000 accumulator stayed in place and didn't produce further damage. The tail broke clean and I was able just to glue the parts together. For the wing I've had to build a new half, which was quick to do. Actually I'm covering the model again and started building the new ones. It's a hard life for aircombat models!

Timo

m024.jpg

m025.jpg

For the two new 109s I decided to try the next unusual version, the Bf 109 H. The bigger wing looks a bit unusual but has the advantage of a bigger wing area. Which means lesser wing loading and tighter curves and also a bigger frontal area to catch other streamers. I just have to design a new centre wing (made with existing ribs) and a new and also bigger rudder. The rectangular centre wing is useful for other versions of the 109, for example the twin fuselage Z "Zwilling" or the huge P.1091 (slightly enlarged, of course).

Due to using the 109 as a standard fighter for contests in the next years, I make plywood templates for balsa pieces to cut them much quicker. Just in case I have to make a new wing half again, like for the black V48.

f012.jpg

f013.jpg

• 5 months later...

About time for a little update! Beneath working on the Whirlwind I made small but constant progress on the two new 109s. And the black V48 is repaired and flying again. The new contest season starts in March and the fighters have to be ready.

I made a succesful flight with a self-built spinner, part 3d printed by my brother, part vacuum formed. A new version is made from glassfibre but not tested yet.

Timo

m026.jpg

m027.jpg

m028.jpg

About time for a little update! Beneath working on the Whirlwind I made small but constant progress on the two new 109s. And the black V48 is repaired and flying again. The new contest season starts in March and the fighters have to be ready.

I made a succesful flight with a self-built spinner (another first for me), part 3d printed by my brother, part vacuum formed. A new version is made from glassfibre but not tested yet.

Timo

m026.jpg

m027.jpg

m028.jpg

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 24/02/2020 20:32:25

The black V48 got a bat as mascot, the white G12 a penguin. For the new Hs a crow and owl is planned. You need luck in combat flying. After some years of flying planes without names I have to restart that tradition. I had my biggest success with a Blackburn Firebrand called "Nightmare" with a small friendly ghost painted on the fuselage.

The white G12 weighs about 725 grams with a 3S3000 accumulator, the lowest weight I ever achived for a 1/12 109 and it flies absolutely fine.

m030.jpg

m031.jpg

m029.jpg

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 24/02/2020 20:39:52

• 3 weeks later...

First flight of the new Bf 109 H in cold weather! Very tight turns are possible with this big wing, but I have to optimise settings on further flights. The small and short tail is a bit sensitive. But then it will be very interesting in a tight dogfight. But bad luck, the new models are ready just in time for a contest in 8 days, but due to Corona virus this got cancelled.

Timo

m038.jpg

m036.jpeg.jpg

m037.jpg

m039.jpg

• 2 months later...

Of course I can send you a plan, you've got a pm from me with details.

In May just after the first Corona relaxations I made some further test flights with the H version. Adjusting servo movements and adding some expo on elevator did the job. The 109 flies fine and is very manouverable. Contests will be interesting with that plane, although that has to wait until 2021 due to Corona. But the normal 109 with the short wing still flies more stable. The 109 tail is very small which is not perfect for a bigger wing. But I'm satisfied!

Timo

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 14/06/2020 14:39:35

• 3 weeks later...
Posted by Doug Moss on 02/07/2020 08:03:53:

What is that other plane behind the Bf109? It seems to have a DB engine but the undercarriage retracts inwards?

In my photo?

it is the VL Pyörremyrsky prototype. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VL_Py%C3%B6rremyrsky

My photo is at https://www.flickr.com/photos/perttime/49979462526/in/album-72157714583728373/

Edited By perttime on 02/07/2020 09:35:33

Edited By perttime on 02/07/2020 09:40:27

• 2 months later...

The 109 story still goes on. Finally I have some fine inflight pictures (difficult task for the photographer due to the small model size). And my brother designed and printed a very promising spinner which lasted for several flights, until his Bv 141 and my 109 had a short midair contact during formation flying. Only scratches for him but I had only one of two prop blades left and had to limp my way back to the airfield with reduced power (and shaking motor) and wind from the back.

Timo

img_9986.jpg