The Ohmen

Hi EarlyBird and Peter, I couldn't agree more about the pleasures of building, the build is very definitely a large part of the enjoyment with the flying being the icing on the cake, so to speak. It is interesting that you mention the Ballerina as I had already earmarked that to be my next project, it once again being a really beautiful looking aircraft. As you can see, there is one last space remaining on the ceiling of my "hanger" and, in the fullness of time, that will be filled by the Ballerina. Brian

IMG_20211024_183803.jpg

• Like 1

@BrianRHBallerina is a beauty and also part of my journey. I am about to start Rhapsody with elliptical wings, planking, loads of stringers and conversion to electric. Just another step towards my Destiny, but first I have to finish The OHmen. I am enjoying the journey so much I keep adding steps, RF-4, Swizzle Stick and x RES but Destiny will happen as I promised myself I would build one. As for hangar space many on here use the spare bedroom.

• 6 months later...
8 hours ago, BrianRH said:

I've got her flying a treat now! I think my initial difficulties were mostly down to correct set-up and trim.

Good to hear as my Omen is also flying a treat after some setup and trim fine tuning, I must update my build with the details but the short version is that she is flying so well that she has just been made my go to model for the season when the weather is not favourable for gliders.

Sounds like there are many happy hours of flying fun for the both of us to look forward to. ?

Ballerina next Brian?

Steve

31 minutes ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

As a supplementary event to the mass flying record attempt this lunchtime we held a mass Ohmen flight. Sadly, not all of our recent club project members were able to be there but we did manage to get 7 Ohmens flying simultaneously. 

Photo evidence prior to take off in very challenging weather conditions, flying was ok just the landing part!

image.thumb.png.2ac347f65a542dabe85e2d4a7d6a18d3.png 

On 11/05/2022 at 05:54, EarlyBird said:

Good to hear as my Omen is also flying a treat after some setup and trim fine tuning, I must update my build with the details but the short version is that she is flying so well that she has just been made my go to model for the season when the weather is not favourable for gliders.

Sounds like there are many happy hours of flying fun for the both of us to look forward to. ?

Ballerina next Brian?

Steve

Yes, I reckon Ballerina will be my winter build project this year, Steve!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

On another thread someone asked for a material list, so I will repeat it here also for anyone who builds this in future.  This is just an estimate and is just the minimum amount, so it relies on good planning of balsa use.  

Balsa

48 inch   1/16 by 4         2 pcs

48 inch    1/4 sq              3pcs

36 inch  3/16 by 4            1 pc

36 inch   5/16 by 3           1 pc

36  inch 3/32 by 4            5pcs

36  inch 1/8 by 4              2pcs

36  inch   1/16 by 4            2pcs

36 inch    1/4 by 4              1pcs  (  laminate 2 thickness to make the 1/2 for cowl and with some 1/8 to make 3/8  )  or buy a sheet of 1/2 and one of 3/8  if you prefer, although there would be a lot of excess material.

Spruce 1/8 by 1/4    36 inch length    1 pc

birch ply  1/32   16 inch by 8

birch ply 1/16    4inch by 6      

lite ply 1/8        11inch by 6

birch ply 1/8   11 inch by 3 

piano wire  10SWG    36 inch

plus I would order an extra sheet of 1/16 , 3/32 and 1/8  just in case.

• 3 weeks later...

Another incantation of the Ohmen arrived at our field today.  As a result of the ground appearing at an uncomfortable location, a club mate had some assorted parts which needed considerable remedial work and a twin model in an even worse state so out came the scalpels and glue and from the depths of his laboratory - sorry, workshop - the model below appeared and I was asked to test fly it for him. 

B44D2117-1013-4D3F-8028-B59F8DCEE60F.thumb.jpeg.da430c3dc13f7b189bdc24ec2bdd1678.jpeg

The TwOhmen

With contra-rotating props and more than adequate power, performance was sparkling although the elevator response was rather abrupt. The C of G was as per the original and the elevator movement seemed reasonable so I’m not sure why but it had been built with rather a lot of downthrust so this will be addressed before further testing. 

27589F0C-402F-4D51-9260-93B706924724.thumb.jpeg.f019f202bc75c12993421aa5023fe78a.jpeg

• 3 months later...

Didier.   Two things you may need to note if you are building the Ohmen

1.  the triangular reinforcement to engine bulkhead was not shown on the original printed plan but should be added -this is even more important if you change to i.c.     See pages 7 and 8 of this thread.  

2.   If you don't have the original article then you might not have seen Peter's wing building instructions which differ from other designers.   Peter's instructions say to place the lower LE and TE balsa onto the board first, the thickness of the LE & TE gives clearance for the ribs to just clear the board.   Also makes the wing accurate without warps which could be caused by gluing lower LE sheeting on later with wing removed from board.    The instructions work well so follow them!   Much the same method and instructions on Swamp Rat, Hound Dog etc.

Edited by kc

Don't worry - that was just the pull out (free ) plan which had another model on the same sheet.  

As for the instructions / article  my understanding is that only current subscribers to the digital copies can download from the digital archive since the Morton takeover.    If you cannot access the digital archive then probably some forum member will offer to scan the article for you.

There are lots of other model articles in the "home" section at the top of the page but Ohmen is not one of them unfortunately.

Edited by kc