ME108 Build - Advice required :-)

Fuel Tank 3Fuel Tank 2I am just getting back into the hobby and am attempting to assemble a model I bought about 10yrs ago. My question is around mounting the fuel tank. The instructions that came with the model are not the best and I'm wondering the best way to fix the tank in place.

I have attached a few pics to help.

All advice is greatly appreciated.

CheersFuel Tank 1

Hi Craig & welcome to the forum.....

Clearly you need to support the tank properly & stop it moving around.....personally I would try making some sub formers out of thick balsa that fix above & below the tank, are shaped to fit around it & will hold it in place.....4 formers...two top & two bottom, one set towards the front & one set towards the rear.....make them too tight & then use a dremel with a sanding drum to open them out so the tank will just ease through....wrap some insulating tape around the tank (front to back) leaving a tab at the rear that you can use to pull the tank out again should you need to.....

A well known modelling law is that the harder your tank is to remove the more likely it is that it will leak....wink 2

Yes, fuel proof it thoroughly, ideally using epoxy so that it firms up any loose joints up front. Recently I've been putting platforms in to hold fuel tanks where possibly, with a velcro strap holding the tank to the platform. A piece of thin foam between tank and platform reduces any effects from vibration. Many ARTFs use Steves idea of formers shaped around the tank, that works well too. Fuel proof before fitting the formers though, it's easier to get in all the nooks and crannies that way.

Thanks very much for all the advice. I will get a pot of fuel proofer and do that first as advised. Regards the installation when you mention formers I take it you mean effectively creating a front and back for the tank to sit on. I am thinking i might also put a stick of balsa across the opening to stop any movement from front to back of the tank. This stick would be easily removable should the tank require to be removed.

Does that sound sensible ?

Thanks

Posted by Craig Blaikie on 08/05/2018 17:17:33:

Thanks very much for all the advice. I will get a pot of fuel proofer and do that first as advised. Regards the installation when you mention formers I take it you mean effectively creating a front and back for the tank to sit on. I am thinking i might also put a stick of balsa across the opening to stop any movement from front to back of the tank. This stick would be easily removable should the tank require to be removed.

Does that sound sensible ?

Thanks

Yeps that's pretty much what I had in mind....the thing is to make sure the mounting is strong enough. An empty tank is very light but fill it with fuel & apply a few 'G' & the forces increase alarmingly. Imagine a 300cc tank...filled with fuel that's about 300g....apply 10G (by no means difficult) to the airframe & that 300 gram tank weighs 3kg....smile o