Steel rule hard to read

I've never purchased a brand new quality steel rule, but I own a few that I have acquired over the years - some are probably older than me. As time goes by, they all seem to get stains on them - always around the area you need to read. I'm pretty sure that most of the marks are cyano, epoxy or other modelling related chemicals. Some of it might be rust though.

I have always respected them as delicate engineering instruments and resisted the urge to declare chemical warfare on them for fear of wiping the markings away.

Any suggestions on cleaning and preserving them, that will not remove the delicate engraved lines, which appear to have some high contrast paint in them?

Here's an example of what I'm talking about.

gwm_1781.jpg

gwm_1783.jpg

I have a treasured 150mm/6" steel rule which has black markings on a grey anodised background. It frequently gets misplaced if I'm not careful (it slides under whatever I have on the bench) so I regularly replace it on the nail where it hangs even during jobs.

My other steel rules are very difficult to read these days even with a magnifier almost permanently attached to my head.

My 150mm rule also has the advantage that it's metric on both edges on one side and rarely used imperial on the other.

Geoff

Geoff.

We must have identical tool chests (and eyesight).

My 150mm steel rule is the easiest one to read but is not much use for measuring 164.5mm as per the example above. The other side of the 300mm rule in the photo is graduated in 0.5mm steps, which I've got no chance of reading in its current state.

I used to be able to guestimate to 1/4 mm or less crying

The main mark appears to be corrosion. Since this very nice rule is so deeply engraved, you can afford to use a medium carborundum stone on it to remove the marks. Don't use emery cloth, as it will tend to fall into the engraved lines and make them less distinct. And when all is bright, just don't let it get rusty!

I have some old rules which were so dull they were hard to read. Wiping them over with white paint to fill the lines was a complete cure.

The best way to clean your rule is with some WD40 and a fine Garryson Garryflex rubbing block. That way, you don't rub away the paint in the marked increments, just the surface rust, ect. They cost about £6 from Ebay, but they last for years and they're a very handy addition to your tool kit.

Posted by Gary Manuel on 17/06/2018 00:05:44:
Posted by Jonathan W on 16/06/2018 23:51:28:

Maybe try one of these: **LINK**

Website text was too small for me to read. Did it tell me how to clean my steel rules?

Edited By Gary Manuel on 17/06/2018 00:09:44

If you can't read the web page, no wonder you can't read your rule marks either! Try CTRL + to zoom the web page. It's a suggestion to buy a rule with white marks on a black background.

Posted by Jonathan W on 17/06/2018 10:04:04:

Website text was too small for me to read. Did it tell me how to clean my steel rules?

If you can't read the web page, no wonder you can't read your rule marks either! Try CTRL + to zoom the web page. It's a suggestion to buy a rule with white marks on a black background.

It's a white stick he needs, man can't see a 30ft Oak tree. cheeky

Posted by Jonathan W on 17/06/2018 10:04:04:

Apologies Jonathan - my sarcasm caught you out there.

I know I could just buy more rules, but being a Yorkshireman, I get a great deal of satisfaction from keeping old things working. I just want to clean up my old ones.

Joe and Luke are on my wavelength. Thanks fellas - I'll look into those suggestions.

I suppose we need several rules of various lengths and some old ones to use as a straightedge when running a knife along.

But for odd measurements sometimes a depth gauge might be easier than trying to read a ruler - so a depth gauge with locking screw to keep the 'measurement' without actually knowing the exact figure. Then it's done by feel and the matching part is made to fit. There is an old Moore & Wright model of graduated depth gauge now widely available as cheap but good copies for about 3 or 4 pounds.  The M&W 43M is 24 pounds!   Much the same method can use dividers or non-digital verniers - even the plastic ones work well enough for balsa work and being plastic they don't rust in a damp workshop. A depth gauge and levelling parts by feel is easier on the eyes!

Edited By kc on 17/06/2018 17:12:33

Well Proops sell a 12 inch version of the traditional depth gauge for 6.70 pounds which might be handy for aeromodelling.  Or a 6 inch version for just 3.30 pounds including post and freepost no quibble return.

Edited By kc on 17/06/2018 17:34:17

Posted by Gary Manuel on 17/06/2018 17:21:44:

I'm lucky enough to have a Rabone Chesterman 3 feet straight edge which I use for cutting and drawing straight lines.

My digital vernier has a depth gauge, which I regularly use - but it doesn't go beyond 153.88mm.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 17/06/2018 17:27:44

Have a a look at this