Steel rule hard to read

Posted by Don Fry on 17/06/2018 19:22:19:

I'm lucky enough to have a pile of 1 metre fence posts for straight edges. Double up as straight weights to hold wing skins down.

They are also quite good for supporting fence panels, or so I'm told wink.

We modellers do get to be quite good at improvising .

I think you have done the best you can on that rule, Gary. Isolated patches of rust like that can go so deep!

People have mentioned digital calipers. Though I normally despise tools that need a battery, sorry, cell to work, I have to admit they are a revelation, and will reliably split a thou. But to split a hair, calipers they are, verniers they are not!

Posted by Joe Beavis on 20/06/2018 21:35:48:

I think you have done the best you can on that rule, Gary. Isolated patches of rust like that can go so deep!

People have mentioned digital calipers. Though I normally despise tools that need a battery, sorry, cell to work, I have to admit they are a revelation, and will reliably split a thou. But to split a hair, calipers they are, verniers they are not!

You are quite right Joe.

Vernier calipers don't need batteries (or cells) - just good eyes.

Hi Gary . You could try giving your rules a quick dip, a couple of minutes or so in a copper plating bath. .Copper acetate for electrolyte and an old piece of copper pipe for anode . The plating will not be attracted to the markings and they will stand out/well against the copper .. Its a bit of faffing about or some may say extreme but if it helps your visibility of the markings its worth it. Loads of vids and info on Youtube. Beware of some of the hillbilly videos as they can be dangerous .