HobbyKing Trainstar

James Thomas 2

Got this a few weeks ago,anyone know it anyone? Comes with nearly everything needed to get it in the air. Flaps are there but no servos for them. How much throw should they have? Nothing in the Instructions at all.The wings have a slimmer profile at the tips,prevent slow speed stalls ? Any help would be helpful....

Clubmate had one to try to learn on . Far as I can recall we set all surfaces to about 10 mm throw and it flew well . No real problems untill the motor twisted on its mount and wound the wires round the can ! It was on the buddy lead and I put in a hedge to save real damage. He never mastered it ! Worth the money ! Colin

A standard setup for flaps would be to put them on a 3-way switch and set the three positions on the flaps to:

1st position - flaps up - flush with the wing

2nd position - 15 to 20 degrees - use for extra camber (and hence lift) particularly at take off.

3rd position - 45 degrees - used only on landing approach - povided drag to stop aircraft accelerating while decending.

If you can slow the flap deployment - if you Tx offers this facility. Its much better, and easier flying-wise - if the flaps don't just "bang" in!

You may need to mix some elevator - probably down elevator with the flaps - try without (at height) if the plane ballons add about 5% down elevator mix.

Bear in mind all this is reasonably advanced stuff. If you are experienced and just having some fun with a trainer, fine. But if you are learning to fly I'd definitely leave the flaps out for now - too complicated.

BEB