Cambrian Little Midge

The suggested hardware is spot on Andy, and if you even attempt to increase the power on offer at 6A

Then you pay a large weight penalty resulting in a even faster model to land

I have 1 mm reflex on the ailerons just to smooth out the flying

With too much movement on the surfaces, the model becomes unflyable

Small 2cell lipos are available, and give good flight times

A 5 x 4 prop Andy, and am trying a 5 x 3 but am not keen on small folding props

It may be my flying style, but while landing and maybe dropping to idle

I find it hard then to tickle up a little more power from the stalled prop

You may have a different approach, but I don't like folding props at low speed on small models

Edited By Denis Watkins on 28/06/2018 08:13:14

Thanks Denis.

Having looked online Cambrian dont have any motors in stock, and I need to do a Hobbyking order from their European warehouse anyway so thinking that their Turnigy 1811 2900kv might be as close as I am going to get to the recommended C10 2900kv. Difference seems to be the odd mm in size. I guess a 6Amp or (10amp?) ESC will also be ok. Going to opt for their digital MX-96E servos.

Is it just me or was it easier in the old days of IC only and limited to what ever the LHS had in stock? I dont have a clue now!

Edited By Andy C on 28/06/2018 15:09:12

Edited By Andy C on 28/06/2018 15:27:59

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, spent the last couple of evenings building one of these. Just got to the motor mounting bit and am confused. Should there be an additional X piece that I screw the motor to first before then screwing that piece to the front of the plane. If not then this really is a pain!

Thanks

Hi Andy,

Your link (at Banggood?) is showing a 'bell' type motor, so if that's what you have, no cross mount is needed.

There is a small hex screw between the motor body and the 'support'.

Just unscrew that one and the two bits separate. Screw the 'support' to your bulkhead - self tapping screws are OK here - and re-attach the motor body. Job done. yes

Cheers

Chris

• 1 month later...
Finally got round to building this. Main structures went together in a couple of hours, but I have now stopped as something seems odd to me.
The fuselage sides are handed, and I have them the right way round, but looking at it there is a built in side thrust.....to the left. That seems the wrong way round to me. Am I missing something?

Same as mine. Confused me as well but went with it. I maidened mine before my holiday and it flew alright, although will wait next time till wind is less (was actually quite gusty).

The issue I have is the props seem to be really unbalanced and unless I am doing something wrong even some paint on one tip and sanding the other doesn.t fix it!

Andy

Left thrust sounds like a grolley at Cambrian's end of things.You could always put things back to normal with a couple of washers behind one side of the motor. Or a small ply wedge, or similar.

By they way, what's the all up weight of this model with lipo in?

I contacted Cambrian, and they responded by saying the left thrust was deliberate. Apparently they tried it with right thrust, left thrust, and no angle, and were told it worked best with left thrust. The reason given was the little motor. I was not aware that scaling everything down and using a little motor would swap the required thrust direction, and it is definitely not something I have noticed on small and indoor RTF models. But there you go.

• 1 year later...
Posted by Slickriff on 29/08/2018 14:33:07:
Finally got round to building this. Main structures went together in a couple of hours, but I have now stopped as something seems odd to me.
The fuselage sides are handed, and I have them the right way round, but looking at it there is a built in side thrust.....to the left. That seems the wrong way round to me. Am I missing something?

Having read the above I have started to build my Little Midge kit.

I carefully compared the two fuselage sides and they seemed identical, and there was no way to distinguish between them.

I have carefully made sure that the fuselage formers are set at right angles to the sides. So it appears to me that the firewall will impart no sidethrust.

I am wondering which part of your construction might have produced it?  Or has Cambrian changed the kit slightly?

Plummet

Edited By Plummet on 28/10/2019 11:16:45