Help me!

Rob Pearson

Yeah I fly alone and my partner doesn't really like this hobby but I absolutly love it and can't get enough but knowledge is so limited but I'm keen and ready to learn. I have got okay at it but still learning.

So for e.g. if a bought a mini wat4 how would I get it to stabilise and what would I need to buy. And would they be a file to download to my dx6 for all the settings.
As I said I'm very new to all this.
Rob

Rob,i

I have heard say that the mini WOT4 is a bit of a handful. There is a reason why a lot of trainers are larger - things happen more slowly. (Please note, WOT not WAT.smiley) The standard electric Wot4 is well regarded although I have no air time with one. I have flown a balsa Wot4 built from plans with I/C power, and it was a dream. An alternative is the FunCub which I have flown.

Plummet,

Hi Rob

Have a read of this thread **LINK**

You can take the receiver out of any of your existing planes and put it in a Wot 4, or anything else for that matter.

You MUST do all the checks to make sure that the receiver is giving the correct signals to the control surfaces, or things will go badly wrong.

You could also get one of these **LINK** whick does a similar job, but you really need to get someone who knows what they're doing to set it up before you try using it if you're relying on the stabilisation.

I've used both in the past and they both work although in my view the Eflite stabilisation is superior while the Lemon is more adjustable to suit a particular airframe.

Just picking up on something you said earlier, its the receiver which does the stabilisation, not the transmitter. So you first need to set up the plane so that the receiver sends the right commands to the control surfaces, then match the transmitter outputs to the receiver - read the thread I linked above and all will become clear(er)

HTH

Kim

I wouldn't get a mini wot4. Not if you need safe. I fly it with an AS3X receiver which is obviously very similar. I used this so I can fly in windy weather. Even on a calm day it's a hand full. It's just too small and twitchy for a noob. IMHO anything below 1M is a handful.

I'll throw another one in, just had a new member at our club and debated what to get, we ended up with a Durafly Tundra, and it's been brilliant.

You'd need to fit your own Rx though, so you could get an ASX type if you needed the self leveling stablisation.

BTW we had a newbie last year with the EFlite Apprentice, he could fly it OK with the full stablisation on, but switch it out and he really struggled, the self stablisation had been doing all the work, as a regular flier I must admit it felt really strange flying it in full training mode.

+1 for an Easy Star too.

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 30/06/2018 09:13:42

Agree..........best advice you're likely to get is to join a club and learn from others. View the BMFA club finder here.... **LINK**

Arrange a visit with a few local clubs and see which ones 'click' with you, chances are they'll invite you along with your model and give you advice there and then. They might even have a club trainer and give you a go on the sticks. It's unlikely that a club trainer will have stabilisation, but it will be correctly set up and trimmed out, and you'll be surprised how easy it will be to handle, but with the safety of a buddy link  (human auto stabiliser wink) .

Don't be put off by the cost of joining, even if it runs into a hundred quid or so, you can easily destroy much more than that in a season (or on one flight) on your own by unwittingly repeating all the common beginner errors. A good instructor is priceless and will save you a lot of hassle and disappointment and might even prevent you from giving up if things go wrong too often on your own.

Good luck, keep us up to date on how you get on.

Edited By Cuban8 on 30/06/2018 10:46:14

Hi Rob,

I'd suggest that if your current planes are still in one piece and you're enjoying flying them then you have three potentially brand new planes sitting there already. Just turn off beginner mode! Go to intermediate for a while, then turn that off as well and, all of a sudden, you will have three planes capable of doing more than just cruising around in gentle circles with you along for the ride. If you've learned the basics of control and orientation, now's the time to move on. Put yourself fully in control (it might take a little time and practice) and you will find that there's so much more you can do with your planes and your feeling of satisfaction will increase. Get another plane with beginner mode enabled and it will fly just the same as the ones you already have, it'll just look a bit different. Not much point in that if you ask me. Spend the money you save on extra batteries and a club membership.

John.

I agree with John Muir's post. I have had a pupil for a while, who had a SAFE-enabled plane. After a while, he got the hang of what the plane is doing and was eventually persuaded to switch off the stabilisation and fly manually. He found that it wasn't much different from flying with stabilisation and always had the option of switching it back in. 6 months in, he has stripped out the radio gear and installed a non-stabilised normal Rx and fitted a more powerful motor. It was the fear of non-stabilisation flight that was paralysing him initially, and the revelation that the model didn't fall out of the sky with it switched off removed the blinkers. So I reckon the 3 models you have are ALL that you need. As John says, a new model with the same old stabilisation function will just look a bit different, Nothing more. Just fly the models you DO have - you'll soon be enjoying the increased level of control in manual mode and can later form an opinion on the way ahead, without being restricted by someone else's ideas of what's SAFE or not.